Unofficial Adaware Updater V2 final, June/25/04

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by R. L., Jun 26, 2004.

  1. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Just finished a final, non-beta version :)

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Unofficial Adaware Updater v2.00 (< 200kb, no-install, no
    registry entries)

    Homepage:
    http://home.earthlink.net/
    ~ringomei/Unofficial_adaware_updater.html

    Latest Screenshot:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/updater_screenshot.jpg

    New in this release 06/25/04:
    - Larger and rearranged interface to reduce clusters.
    - Relative path is now supported (as long as the Lavasoft
    folder is in you system program files folder).
    - Some codes are rewritten for simplification.

    Features:
    -Optionally check your connection before starting the update
    process.
    - Backup your old ref-file before updating.
    - A built-in second attempt to update after 30 seconds, if the
    first attempt failed.
    - Check if a new ref-file is available since the last update.
    - User can choose to do launch an auto spyware scan with Ad-
    aware after finish updating.
    - Other options can be found in the new interface.

    (To schedule an auto update with the Window task scheduler can
    be done with command line switch. )

    RL
    Unofficial Adaware Updater:
    http://home.earthlink.net/
    ~ringomei/Unofficial_adaware_updater.html

    Little (File) Backer Upper:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/page2.html

    R. L., Jun 26, 2004

  2. R. L.

    Antoine Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :

    > Just finished a final, non-beta version :)
    >

    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > Unofficial Adaware Updater v2.00 (< 200kb, no-install, no
    > registry entries)

    Thank you for having put the Ad-aware path as an option :)
    Here it works pretty well till the script tries to unzip the
    reflist.zip file : the scripts runs normally, displays briefly a dos
    command window and pops up a dialog indicating an unzip error. Yet,
    when I try to unzip the file manually with my ordinary compression
    utility (OT), the zip file looks ok.

    --
    Antoine

    Antoine, Jun 26, 2004

  3. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Antoine <> says in

    > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :
    >
    >> Just finished a final, non-beta version :)
    >>

    >> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >> Unofficial Adaware Updater v2.00 (< 200kb, no-install, no
    >> registry entries)

    > Thank you for having put the Ad-aware path as an option
    > :) Here it works pretty well till the script tries to
    > unzip the reflist.zip file : the scripts runs normally,
    > displays briefly a dos command window and pops up a dialog
    > indicating an unzip error. Yet, when I try to unzip the
    > file manually with my ordinary compression utility (OT),
    > the zip file looks ok.

    Hmm...it sounds like there is an error with Infozip (included
    with the script), will need to look into it. Since you are
    not using stardard paths, it could be the problem for infozip,
    (which is a dos program, I am not a fan of it, but it seems to
    be the only option I have for now)

    Can you tell me these information:

    - the location where you put your Unofficial Adaware Updater
    files;
    - the location of your Lavasoft Adaware folder;
    - where did you find your reflist.zip eventually

    Thanks

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 26, 2004
  4. R. L.

    Antoine Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :

    > Hmm...it sounds like there is an error with Infozip (included
    > with the script), will need to look into it. Since you are
    > not using stardard paths, it could be the problem for infozip,
    > (which is a dos program, I am not a fan of it, but it seems to
    > be the only option I have for now)
    >
    > Can you tell me these information:
    >
    > - the location where you put your Unofficial Adaware Updater
    > files;

    C:\_temp\uaau\

    > - the location of your Lavasoft Adaware folder;

    C:\Program Files\Ad-aware 6\

    (I have put this non-default path in the adequate option-box of your updater)

    > - where did you find your reflist.zip eventually

    The default url ie :
    http://updates.ls-servers.com/reflist.zip

    Thank you.

    --
    Antoine

    Antoine, Jun 26, 2004
  5. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Antoine <> says in

    > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :
    >
    >> Hmm...it sounds like there is an error with Infozip
    >> (included with the script), will need to look into it.
    >> Since you are not using stardard paths, it could be the
    >> problem for infozip, (which is a dos program, I am not a
    >> fan of it, but it seems to be the only option I have for
    >> now)

    >> Can you tell me these information:
    >>
    >> - the location where you put your Unofficial Adaware
    >> Updater files;

    > C:\_temp\uaau\
    >
    >> - the location of your Lavasoft Adaware folder;

    > C:\Program Files\Ad-aware 6\
    >
    > (I have put this non-default path in the adequate
    > option-box of your updater)
    >
    >> - where did you find your reflist.zip eventually

    > The default url ie :
    > http://updates.ls-servers.com/reflist.zip
    >
    > Thank you.

    Hi, Antoine, the current version does not support adaware folder
    that is outside the Lavasoft folder yet. But send me an email
    and I will give you the custom made version that suit your path.

    Ringomeinew AT hotmail DOT com

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 26, 2004
  6. R. L.

    Antoine Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :

    > Hi, Antoine, the current version does not support adaware folder
    > that is outside the Lavasoft folder yet. But send me an email
    > and I will give you the custom made version that suit your path.

    I have just sent an email at the address you indicated.
    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Antoine

    Antoine, Jun 26, 2004
  7. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Antoine <> says in

    > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :
    >
    >> Hi, Antoine, the current version does not support adaware
    >> folder that is outside the Lavasoft folder yet. But send
    >> me an email and I will give you the custom made version
    >> that suit your path.

    > I have just sent an email at the address you indicated.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Antoine, for some reasons I am not getting your email. Could
    you send it again to the following (I don't trust hotmail now,
    I got mail delay during last few days), thanks.

    ringomei AT yahoo DOT com

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 26, 2004
  8. R. L.

    John Doe Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote in message
    > Antoine <> says in
    >
    > > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :
    > >
    > >> Hmm...it sounds like there is an error with Infozip
    > >> (included with the script), will need to look into it.
    > >> Since you are not using stardard paths, it could be the
    > >> problem for infozip, (which is a dos program, I am not a
    > >> fan of it, but it seems to be the only option I have for
    > >> now)

    > >> Can you tell me these information:
    > >>
    > >> - the location where you put your Unofficial Adaware
    > >> Updater files;

    > > C:\_temp\uaau\
    > >
    > >> - the location of your Lavasoft Adaware folder;

    > > C:\Program Files\Ad-aware 6\
    > >
    > > (I have put this non-default path in the adequate
    > > option-box of your updater)
    > >
    > >> - where did you find your reflist.zip eventually

    > > The default url ie :
    > > http://updates.ls-servers.com/reflist.zip
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > Hi, Antoine, the current version does not support adaware folder
    > that is outside the Lavasoft folder yet. But send me an email
    > and I will give you the custom made version that suit your path.
    >
    > Ringomeinew AT hotmail DOT com
    >
    > --
    > RL
    > Unofficial Adaware Updater:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/
    > ~ringomei/Unofficial_adaware_updater.html
    >
    > Little (File) Backer Upper:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/page2.html

    Do I put your updater here
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6 ?

    John Doe, Jun 27, 2004
  9. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    "John Doe" <> says in

    > Do I put your updater here
    > C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6 ?

    You can basically put it whereever, but just that the Lavasoft
    Ad-aware program itself (not the UFO Updater), need to be in
    the path that you indicate ((i.e., under program files
    \Lavasoft\Ad-ware\, so your path is fine).

    As for the recommanded location for UAU, the best place to do
    it is to have a seperate folder for all the files you unzipped
    from my UAU package, and place it under C:\Program Files
    \Lavasoft\

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 27, 2004
  10. R. L.

    Antoine Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :

    > Antoine, for some reasons I am not getting your email. Could
    > you send it again to the following (I don't trust hotmail now,
    > I got mail delay during last few days), thanks.

    Of course. The email has just been sent to the second address.

    Regards,
    Antoine

    Antoine, Jun 27, 2004
  11. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Antoine <> says in
    > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :
    >

    > Of course. The email has just been sent to the second
    > address.

    Check your email :)

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 27, 2004
  12. R. L.

    Antoine Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :

    > Check your email :)

    Oops, this time it's me. Could you please resend the mail.
    Thanks :)

    --
    Antoine

    Antoine, Jun 27, 2004
  13. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Antoine <> says in

    > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :
    >
    >> Check your email :)

    > Oops, this time it's me. Could you please resend the mail.
    > Thanks :)

    check again :)

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 27, 2004
  14. R. L.

    Antoine Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote :

    > check again :)

    Thank you. I got it and replied to the 'reply-to' email.

    --
    Antoine

    Antoine, Jun 27, 2004
  15. R. L.

    Arne Anka Guest

    Begin I alt.comp.freeware, sa R. L. utan att tänka först:

    > - Relative path is now supported (as long as the Lavasoft
    > folder is in you system program files folder).

    Hopefully that will change in a future version?

    --
    Arne Anka

    Men det värsta är inte själva baksmällan,
    den verkliga pärsen börjar när gårdagens
    oundvikliga sanningar börjar rullas upp för en...

    <http://starcruiser.dk/arne/>

    Arne Anka, Jun 27, 2004
  16. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    Arne Anka <> says in

    > Begin I alt.comp.freeware, sa R. L. utan att tänka först:
    >

    >> - Relative path is now supported (as long as the Lavasoft
    >> folder is in you system program files folder).

    > Hopefully that will change in a future version?

    Yes, it is on my to-do list.

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 27, 2004
  17. R. L.

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote in message

    <snip>

    it could be the problem for infozip,
    : (which is a dos program, I am not a fan of it, but it seems to
    : be the only option I have for now)
    :
    <snip>
    Since Windows XP does not use DOS, I take it that this is not designed
    for versions of windows newer than 98??

    PuppyKatt, Jun 28, 2004
  18. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    "PuppyKatt" <> says in

    > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote in
    > message news:Xns9514696E221A4ringomei@127.0.0.1...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > it could be the problem for infozip,
    >: (which is a dos program, I am not a fan of it, but it
    >: seems to be the only option I have for now)

    > <snip>
    > Since Windows XP does not use DOS, I take it that this is
    > not designed for versions of windows newer than 98??

    No problem, users have reported that it works in 9x/XP/NT.

    --
    RL
    Unofficial Adaware Updater:
    http://home.earthlink.net/
    ~ringomei/Unofficial_adaware_updater.html

    Little (File) Backer Upper:
    http://home.earthlink.net/
    ~ringomei/Backup_tool_Backer_Upper.html

    Uptime Quickie
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ringomei/page2.html

    R. L., Jun 28, 2004
  19. R. L.

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Thank you. Why is it "unofficial"?

    "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote in message
    : "PuppyKatt" <> says in
    : news:yBWDc.57212$:
    :
    : >
    : > "R. L." <ringomeinew@_hot_mail_.YOU_KNOW_THE_REST> wrote in
    : > message news:Xns9514696E221A4ringomei@127.0.0.1...
    : >
    : > <snip>
    : >
    : > it could be the problem for infozip,
    : >: (which is a dos program, I am not a fan of it, but it
    : >: seems to be the only option I have for now)
    :
    : > <snip>
    : > Since Windows XP does not use DOS, I take it that this is
    : > not designed for versions of windows newer than 98??
    :
    :
    : No problem, users have reported that it works in 9x/XP/NT.
    :
    :
    : --
    : RL
    : *******************************************

    PuppyKatt, Jun 28, 2004
  20. R. L.

    R. L. Guest

    "PuppyKatt" <> says in news:DAXDc.57260
    $:

    > Thank you. Why is it "unofficial"?

    It is unoffical because I have no affiliation with Lavasoft :)

    And in fact, I anticipate that if one day they decide to make
    an updater that is schedularble my piece will resign (I made
    it because I need it myself).

    But for now they only make the auto update feature available
    in the paid version :)

    --
    RL

    R. L., Jun 28, 2004