unlocking Live Update on Symantec Corporate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have inherited a machine from the office that has Symantec Corp edition Antivirus, ver. 10. I know how to go to the Symantec web site to find the latest virus definitions every week, and can run the .exe to update. But I'd rather be able to push the "Live Update" button and have it find the new definitions. (Even better would be to schedule Live Update to do it automatically.) However, the "administrator" in the office had it locked since this was originally designed to be an office server-based system. Now that I have it unlinked from the office server, how can I convince the system that "I" am the administrator? (By the way, I discovered that the tech guy who used to have this machine had stored all of the Symantec installation files on this hard drive before it was issued to me for home use. So technically I can uninstall and reinstall, but there are so many "versions" of the install software, I don't know where to start. And I don't know if there is some utility to run or file to execute to unlock Live Update. I can't really ask the tech for help, as he will have take away what I have!) Can anyone help?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Personally ... I wouldn't bother.

There are, less intrusive, less of a hog, better nastie detection and better AV programs than Norton/Symantec ... a bonus is AntiVir is also free.

Unless you are using an "office" machine for "office" work with full permission, what your "office" has done is technically illegal. I doubt that you should even have had the OS. ;)

oh, welcome to the forums. :)

Reaction score
You are probably right ... Symantec IS a hog, and is slow. Which AV do you recommend for casual home users?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As Mucks says - AntiVir is a good free alternative, or if you want to pay then Kaspersky or NOD32 :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for the AV suggestions. I'm a newbie here and didn't realize AntiVir was a brand of antivirus software. I read a couple of reviews of AntiVir, NOD32, Kaspersky, and also Bit Defender 10. While AntiVir is free and reasonably effective, it doesn't have email protection. One reviewer praises Bit Defender, but then others don't. maybe I'll try the AntiVir first, and scrag the Symantec hog.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If I was to pay for an AV suite I would get Kaspersky ;)

Reaction score
registry fix

Here is where you need to go into the registry of an XP machine to unlock the live update on a client.

start/run/regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\PatternManager

right click on LockUpdatePattern and change value from a 1 to a 0.

That will unlock the live update button.

That's my hack for the day.

You may initially got en error message (LU1856) when downloading the updates, but according to symantec that should fix itself within 24 hours. If not, you can just google the error and download a fix tool from Symantec directly. I did it on a second machine and all looks good.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
mad_hacker said:
Here is where you need to go into the registry of an XP machine to unlock the live update on a client.

start/run/regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\PatternManager

right click on LockUpdatePattern and change value from a 1 to a 0.

That will unlock the live update button.

That's my hack for the day.

You may initially got en error message (LU1856) when downloading the updates, but according to symantec that should fix itself within 24 hours. If not, you can just google the error and download a fix tool from Symantec directly. I did it on a second machine and all looks good.

We're not that kind of site, really.

This thread is almost a year old and by replying to it you're obviously trawlin' to push your own agenda.

Well not here you ain't.

Sorry pal, but you're history.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question