Windows XP unknown device-standard USB host controller

Reaction score
I run an XP Home Professional. I am getting the message "No drivers installed for this device". When I follow instructions in "Device Manager" to check out this Standard USB Host Controller, I learn that the provider is MicroSoft. The driver date is 7/01/2001 and the version is 5.1.2600.0 and is signed by MSWindows Component Publisher.

I have checked everything I know how to look into and it appears that MS doesn't even recognize they issued this USB device. I need to either uninstall it and install one that will be recognized...or update this one providing I can locate one that can be downloaded. If there is a downloadable update, can you direct me to the location?

And I can't put my hands on the install disk.

Thanks!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
XP Home Pro ??? erm sorry but that don't exsist. Are you using a genuine Windows copy ??

Reaction score
Hi...my XP Home Pro is genuine original MicroSoft. The message I am receiving is pretty much as I gave in my original post. I'm told it is an "unknown device" at Location "0" and that no drivers are installed for this device. But then when I check (right click and look at properties), it says that it is the Standard USB Host Controller with the driver version of 5.1.2600.0???

How can I be told it is an unknown device and then it turns around and gives me the driver version?

Thanks for your reply. What I know about drivers isn't very much. I hate to hear that dinging sound when this message appears. Worse yet, I am not able to tell what port/or device is not functioning as it should. Maybe it has to do with the little Belkin hubs. I have one 8 port and another 4 port. My mouse is USB and works. My scanner is USB and works. The only questionable item is my portable USB hard drive. Does any of this help?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Most likely culprits are the pair of Belkin hubs and the external hard disk. Do they all work ok?

Power down, disconnect all three, power up, connect one at a time and observe any messages then report back here.

And if the hubs are recognised ok can other usb devices work through them?

And as I recall there were two main versions of XP, Home and Professional, both available in 32 bit & 64 bit versions, but not Home Pro.

Do you know which service pack your XP install has?

Reaction score
I double-checked and you are right...my Windows XP version is Win XP-Professional and I am the registered owner.

I shut down and unplugged all my USB devices/cords and then one by one lit them back up and checked the device manager with each. They all worked properly except after doing the check on the CanoScan LIDE110, the message came up that this device would work better with some other USB2 (I didn't catch the entire message). I also noticed my mass storage device red light was flashing on/off. So, I unplugged both the scanner and mass storage and re-plugged them into the 8-port USB hub. So far-so good so you may have hit the nail on the head with the two Belkins. I had the 4-port plugged into the 8-port, so maybe the nut behind the cord-plugging was the problem?:blush:

Ask a Question