    Is there some utility or tool helping to solve that problem?
    Your help appreciated,
    Claire

    Claire, May 13, 2010

  2. Claire

    Claire Guest

    I forgot to add that location of that device is (shown on Properties)
    Location: on Microsoft ACPCI-compliant system.
    Thanks,
    Claire

    Claire, May 13, 2010

  3. Claire

    MowGreen Guest

    Claire wrote:
    > I forgot to add that location of that device is (shown on Properties)
    > Location: on Microsoft ACPCI-compliant system.
    > Thanks,
    > Claire
    >
    > "Claire"<replyto@fra> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> Recently I did clean install of Windows XP plus all updates and
    >> SP3.
    >> Windows setup did not automatically install the hardware devices such as
    >> video, audio and modem except the network card which was installed OK.
    >> I have found the missing drivers on Compaq website and installed them
    >> successfully.
    >> However, Device Manager still shows one device not installed. There is big
    >> question mark and "Unknown Device" name beside it.
    >> I wonder what that device can be?
    >> Is there some utility or tool helping to solve that problem?
    >> Your help appreciated,
    >> Claire

    The driver for Microsoft ACPI-compliant system (note-it's NOT ACPCI)is
    supposed to be on the Windows CD as it's an MS driver and should be
    located in WINDOWS\system32\drivers

    If not, what was the clean install with XP and SP3 done from ...
    an XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed with it or was it an XP CD with no
    Service Packs included ?

    You can try the System File Checker and see if that installs the correct
    driver but if it was missing from the XP installation media it was never
    installed and is not present anywhere in the OS.

    You could open Device Manager; expand System Devices or navigate to the
    location of the problematic device.
    *Right* click Microsoft ACPI-compliant system and choose Properties.
    Click the Driver tab at the top. Click the Update Driver button.
    Put a mark next to the option that will search Windows Update for the
    needed driver and click Next or OK.
    Did Windows Update install the driver ?

    MowGreen
    ================
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ================

    banthecheck.com

    MowGreen, May 14, 2010
  4. "MowGreen" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Claire wrote:
    >> I forgot to add that location of that device is (shown on Properties)
    >> Location: on Microsoft ACPCI-compliant system.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Claire
    >>
    >> "Claire"<replyto@fra> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>> Recently I did clean install of Windows XP plus all updates and
    >>> SP3.
    >>> Windows setup did not automatically install the hardware devices such as
    >>> video, audio and modem except the network card which was installed OK.
    >>> I have found the missing drivers on Compaq website and installed them
    >>> successfully.
    >>> However, Device Manager still shows one device not installed. There is big
    >>> question mark and "Unknown Device" name beside it.
    >>> I wonder what that device can be?
    >>> Is there some utility or tool helping to solve that problem?
    >>> Your help appreciated,
    >>> Claire
    >>>

    > The driver for Microsoft ACPI-compliant system (note-it's NOT ACPCI)is supposed to be on the
    > Windows CD as it's an MS driver and should be located in WINDOWS\system32\drivers
    >
    > If not, what was the clean install with XP and SP3 done from ...
    > an XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed with it or was it an XP CD with no Service Packs included ?
    >
    > You can try the System File Checker and see if that installs the correct driver but if it was
    > missing from the XP installation media it was never installed and is not present anywhere in the
    > OS.
    >
    > You could open Device Manager; expand System Devices or navigate to the location of the
    > problematic device.
    > *Right* click Microsoft ACPI-compliant system and choose Properties.
    > Click the Driver tab at the top. Click the Update Driver button.
    > Put a mark next to the option that will search Windows Update for the needed driver and click Next
    > or OK.
    > Did Windows Update install the driver ?
    >

    > MowGreen
    > ================
    > *-343-* FDNY
    > Never Forgotten
    > ================
    >
    > banthecheck.com
    > "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

    Try this tool to identify the unknown device
    http://www.download3k.com/Install-Unknown-Device-Identifier.html

    Richard in AZ, May 14, 2010
  5. Claire

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 14, 12:05 am, MowGreen <> wrote:
    > Claire wrote:
    > > I forgot to add that location of that device is (shown on Properties)
    > > Location: on Microsoft ACPCI-compliant system.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Claire

    > > "Claire"<replyto@fra>  wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>            Recently I did clean install of Windows XP plusall updates and
    > >> SP3.
    > >> Windows setup did not automatically install the hardware devices such as
    > >> video, audio and modem except the network card which was installed OK.
    > >> I have found the missing drivers on Compaq website and installed them
    > >> successfully.
    > >> However, Device Manager still shows one device not installed. There isbig
    > >> question mark and "Unknown Device" name beside it.
    > >> I wonder what that device can be?
    > >> Is there some utility or tool helping to solve that problem?
    > >> Your help appreciated,
    > >> Claire

    > The driver for Microsoft ACPI-compliant system (note-it's NOT ACPCI)is
    > supposed to be on the Windows CD as it's an MS driver and should be
    > located in WINDOWS\system32\drivers
    >
    > If not, what was the clean install with XP and SP3 done from ...
    > an XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed with it or was it an XP CD with no
    > Service Packs included ?
    >
    > You can try the System File Checker and see if that installs the correct
    > driver but if it was missing from the XP installation media it was never
    > installed and is not present anywhere in the OS.
    >
    > You could open Device Manager; expand System Devices or navigate to the
    > location of the problematic device.
    > *Right* click  Microsoft ACPI-compliant system and choose Properties.
    > Click the Driver tab at the top. Click the Update Driver button.
    > Put a mark next to the option that will search Windows Update for the
    > needed driver and click Next or OK.
    > Did Windows Update install the driver ?
    >
    > MowGreen
    >   *-343-* FDNY
    > Never Forgotten
    >
    > banthecheck.com
    > "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

    Sometimes, this driver can be part of the motherboard chipset driver
    downloads. Chipset drivers provide the "controls" to Windows on how
    to access the motherboard components.

    smlunatick, May 14, 2010