    I am not Good on the Computer Im Afraid i Might Delete
    something i still want..Thanks For Any Help you Can Give
    Me ..Dave

    Dave, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Dave

    Guest Guest

    I know me too I want to remove instant message. I don't
    use and I don't need it. Microsoft make it difficult to
    remove. They want you to have it for some reason. I
    beleive it gives them access to your computer. I don't
    know but man they make it difficult. I was looking here
    if someone could tell me too.
    I did it at the office but at home I can't ???
    How I did it is
    Start/ run/ type gpedt.ms and then look for intant
    message somewhere in there and de activate.

    Good luck.

    Windows
    >Messenger thats On My Windows XP Without Deleting any
    >programs I think it goes with Msn.Not Sure i still
    >Have.It apperently Came With the with the Computer i
    >Purchased For a Program .I Dont use Windows Messenger

    and

    Guest, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Greetings Dave,

    You can remove Windows Messenger, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger from
    working (or loading without problems). You can just disable Windows Messenger by opening it
    up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this Program when Windows
    starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version). As well, you
    can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove
    Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list and click
    Next >. Note: this is only available if you've installed Windows XP Service Pack 1 -- if you
    haven't, visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. This won't remove Windows Messenger, but
    it will let it stay out of your way

    Besides the drawbacks above however, if you really want to remove it completely, for Windows
    Messenger 4.7, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon in the
    notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then click Run
    and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then click OK.
    Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7

    For Windows Messenger 5, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon
    in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then
    click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    msiexec.exe /x {ABEB838C-A1A7-4C5D-B7E1-8B4314B10138}
    and then click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Nov 1, 2003
  4. Dave

    Dave Allan Guest

    I too have the situation as where msmsgs.exe (Windows
    Messenger) runs automatically, even concurrently with
    msnmsg.exe (MSN Messenger) when I view "running processes"
    in Task Manager. I have followed all of the basic
    suggested instructions as far as settings are concerned to
    stop it, but msmsgs.exe will initialize all on its own.
    I've even stopped the process (tree) from within Task
    Manager but eventually the msmsgs.exe will start up again
    even without me starting any other apps.
    The "work around" I have found that seems to work quite
    effectively and I haven't had any adverse problems thus
    far and that is to rename msmsgs.exe to something else. In
    my case I have added the digit "1" to the end of the file
    name; msmsgs1.exe. By doing so, Windows Messenger will not
    start automatically nor can it run if I chose to run it.
    If there is a need for the other features that this app
    supports as previously, all I have to do is go back in and
    remove the digit and rename the file back to its original
    syntax and launch the program. This negates all the
    cumbersome uninstall/deleting of shortcuts etc. Everything
    is still as it was except the app won't run until the
    executable is renamed to its orginal syntax.

    Dave Allan, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Hi Dave,

    If you don't like your "workaround", do you happen to have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?
    Norton added a new "instant messaging scanning" feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can
    conflict with Messenger and cause some of this behavior. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus
    (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the
    clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck
    MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Nov 4, 2003