    might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
    Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
    end of day. Thanks, Bob

    Guest, Aug 11, 2007

    Gerry Guest

    Bob

    Even though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?

    Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
    Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

    How large is your hard disk and how much free space. Right click on
    your C drive in Windows and select Properties to get this information.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Aug 11, 2007

    Hi, Gerry,

    Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
    Commit Charge:
    Total 549280
    Limit 1259632
    Peak 557708

    Hard Drive total 68.4 GB
    Free space 36.7 GB

    Thanks for your reply! -Bob

    Guest, Aug 11, 2007

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
    > might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
    > Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
    > end of day. Thanks, Bob

    Do you use hibernation overnight? This may affect mouse operation, but
    it's doubtful if you hibernate nightly and the problem occurs only every
    couple of weeks.

    Are mouse drivers up to date?

    Which aggravation bothers you more -- the occasional mouse hiccup or
    booting up your system daily, perhaps weekly?

    Bill

    Bill Sharpe, Aug 11, 2007

    Gerry Guest

    Bob

    How much RAM memory? Your system may be over-reliant on use of the
    pagefile and leaving the computer on 24/7 would not help.

    Does pagefile usage rise and fall at an acceptable level or steadily
    rise?

    You may find it helpful to know exactly how much of your pagefile is
    being used. Use page file monitor to observe what is the peak usage.
    Start it to run immediately after start-up and look at the log at the
    end of the session.The log is Pagefile log.txt. If you right click on
    the file in Windows Explorer and select Send to, Desktop (Create
    Shortcut). The same applies to XP_PageFileMon.exe.

    A small utility to monitor pagefile usage:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

    Note programs using undo features particularly those associated with
    graphics and photo editing require large amounts of memory so if you
    use this type of programme check these first observing how the page
    usage increases when they start and whether the usage decreases when
    you close the programme.

    What programmes are typically running at any one time?

    Let's examine why you complain of a slow boot. Please restart your
    computer and post copies of all Error and Warning Reports appearing in
    the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for the last boot. No
    Information Reports or Duplicates please. Indicate which also appear in
    a previous boot.

    You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
    Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
    of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
    are important.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

    Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
    should double click for further information. You can copy using copy
    and paste. Often the link will, however, say there is no further
    information.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
    (Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

    A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
    button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
    Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
    the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
    Event Viewer.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Aug 11, 2007

    Jeff Barnett Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
    > might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
    > Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
    > end of day. Thanks, Bob

    If you have a USB mouse, unplug the USB cable, count to five, then
    replug it in. Sometimes USB mice don't get properly enumerated when a
    computer comes out of its sleep mode (S1, S3, or hibernate). I believe
    that this is a fairly common problem.

    -- Jeff Barnett

    Jeff Barnett, Aug 12, 2007

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 11, 8:16 pm, Bob <> wrote:
    > On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
    > might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
    > Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
    > end of day. Thanks, Bob

    Try another mouse.

    sandy58, Aug 12, 2007
  8. frozen pc mouse

    While I was on broadband, to my astonishment, my BIOS setup apeeared on screen and stayed frozen. I had to press button to switch off computer and then restart. After the usual start-up procedure the desktop icons came into place but the mouse remained frozen. I tried to access BIOS setup page by pressing F2 when prompted but there was no response. My mouse remains frozen and BIOS set-up inaccessible. My operating system is Windows WP Home Edition, two Gb memory, 250Gb hard drive. Please help. Thanks.

    Bo wrote:

    unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
    11-Aug-07

    On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
    might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
    Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
    end of day. Thanks, Bob

    On Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:16 PM
    Bo wrote:

    unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
    On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
    might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
    Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
    end of day. Thanks, Bob

    On Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:54 PM
    Gerry wrote:

    BobEven though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?
    Bob

    Even though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?

    Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
    Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

    How large is your hard disk and how much free space. Right click on
    your C drive in Windows and select Properties to get this information.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bob wrote:

    On Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:58 PM
    Bo wrote:

    Hi, Gerry, Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
    Hi, Gerry,

    Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
    Commit Charge:
    Total 549280
    Limit 1259632
    Peak 557708

    Hard Drive total 68.4 GB
    Free space 36.7 GB

    Thanks for your reply! -Bob

    "Gerry" wrote:

    On Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:57 PM
    Bill Sharpe wrote:

    Re: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
    Bob wrote:
    Do you use hibernation overnight? This may affect mouse operation, but
    it's doubtful if you hibernate nightly and the problem occurs only every
    couple of weeks.

    Are mouse drivers up to date?

    Which aggravation bothers you more -- the occasional mouse hiccup or
    booting up your system daily, perhaps weekly?

    Bill

    On Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:58 PM
    Gerry wrote:

    BobHow much RAM memory?
[...]

    Bob wrote:

    Bob wrote:
    If you have a USB mouse, unplug the USB cable, count to five, then
    replug it in. Sometimes USB mice don't get properly enumerated when a
    computer comes out of its sleep mode (S1, S3, or hibernate). I believe
    that this is a fairly common problem.

    -- Jeff Barnett

    On Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:55 AM
    sandy58 wrote:

    Re: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
    Try another mouse.

    Asynchronous WebRequest: The Basics
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...ddf-86b16f9a00dd/asynchronous-webrequest.aspx

    Thomas Samson, Dec 29, 2009

    Tom Willett Guest

    Re: frozen pc mouse

    Wow, you replied to/hijacked an old post from 2007 after changing the
    subject line.

    Eggheader alert!
    <Thomas Samson> wrote in message news:...
    : While I was on broadband, to my astonishment, my BIOS setup apeeared on
    screen and stayed frozen. I had to press button to switch off computer and
    then restart. After the usual start-up procedure the desktop icons came into
    place but the mouse remained frozen. I tried to access BIOS setup page by
    pressing F2 when prompted but there was no response. My mouse remains frozen
    and BIOS set-up inaccessible. My operating system is Windows WP Home
    Edition, two Gb memory, 250Gb hard drive. Please help. Thanks.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Bo wrote:
    :
    : unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
    : On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse
    cursor
    : might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer
    driver?
    : Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications
    at
    : end of day. Thanks, Bob
    :
    : On Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:54 PM
    : Gerry wrote:
    :
    : BobEven though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?
    : Bob
    :
    : Even though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?
    :
    : Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
    : Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?
    :
    : How large is your hard disk and how much free space. Right click on
    : your C drive in Windows and select Properties to get this information.
    :
    : --
    :
    :
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    : Gerry
    : ~~~~
    : FCA
    : Stourport, England
    : Enquire, plan and execute
    : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :
    :
    : Bob wrote:
    :
    : On Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:58 PM
    : Bo wrote:
    :
    : Hi, Gerry, Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
    : Hi, Gerry,
    :
    :
    :
    : Bob wrote:
    : Do you use hibernation overnight? This may affect mouse operation, but
    : it's doubtful if you hibernate nightly and the problem occurs only every
    : couple of weeks.
    :
    : Are mouse drivers up to date?
    :
    : Which aggravation bothers you more -- the occasional mouse hiccup or
    : booting up your system daily, perhaps weekly?
    :
    : Bill
    :
    : On Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:58 PM
    : Gerry wrote:
    :
    : BobHow much RAM memory?
    : Bob
    :
[...]
    : HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
    :
    :
    : Bob wrote:
    : If you have a USB mouse, unplug the USB cable, count to five, then
    : replug it in. Sometimes USB mice don't get properly enumerated when a
    : computer comes out of its sleep mode (S1, S3, or hibernate). I believe
    : that this is a fairly common problem.
    :
    : -- Jeff Barnett
    :
    : On Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:55 AM
    : sandy58 wrote:
    :
    : Re: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
    : Try another mouse.
    :
    :
    : Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice

    Tom Willett, Dec 29, 2009