Undo Multiple File Rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, I selected about 170 files in a folder in order to look at their collective file size. Then I went to select and rename one file in that group. Somehow, the group wasn't deselected when I renamed that file, and the whole group was renamed to the same name in series, with a number in parenthesis at the end. I pressed undo, and this restored 10 of them before it stopped working. PLEASE tell me there is some way to undo this problem, because it won't be fun to rename them all.
Thanks.

P

peter

SCANNOW

If you have an XP disk you can do a scan for missing
files. Put the disk in your driver and wait for the
autoplay to do it's thing. Now click exit on the
selections screen and leave the disk in.
click>start\run\and type in cmd and hit enter or click ok.
Now the command screen comes up and you type in
SFC /scannow and hit enter. This should scan for any
missing files or dll's that windows XP needs and put them
back in their Microsoft specs.

This is assuming they were XP files!!
peter
Geri Freki Garm said:
Ok, I selected about 170 files in a folder in order to look at their
collective file size. Then I went to select and rename one file in that group.
Somehow, the group wasn't deselected when I renamed that file, and the whole
group was renamed to the same name in series, with a number in parenthesis at
the end. I pressed undo, and this restored 10 of them before it stopped working.
PLEASE tell me there is some way to undo this problem, because it won't be fun
to rename them all.

G

Negative. They're zip files for my own personal use. And I was making last-minute changes before backing up, since I'm sure someone will suggest that. Thanks anyway though.

R

Rock

Geri said:
Ok, I selected about 170 files in a folder in order to look at their collective file size. Then I went to select and rename one file in that group. Somehow, the group wasn't deselected when I renamed that file, and the whole group was renamed to the same name in series, with a number in parenthesis at the end. I pressed undo, and this restored 10 of them before it stopped working. PLEASE tell me there is some way to undo this problem, because it won't be fun to rename them all.
Thanks.

Geri there are some third party apps that make it easier to rename files
in bulk which would simplify the process if the original names were in
some sort of logical sequence. If not then you might be stuck with
renaming them or restore from a backup.

G

Well, thanks bunches for your help, but they weren't named in series... I wish, I have ACDSee, and it does the function you mentioned. I've already resigned myself to renaming them all, and am 1/10th of the way through... ugh. oh well.

Reaction score
Well its done and files are renamed. Dont know for sure however for future I suggest use BatchRenameFiles Tool for your renaming tasks. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question