Undo more than just one letter at a time?

C

Claudio

Hi!

Say I type the word "example." The Undo menu shows 8 actions: "Typing E,"
then "Typing x," then "Typing a," and so forth.

This started happening last week all of a sudden. Of course, it is very
annoying.

What causes it? How do I change it?

Thanks!
Claudio

S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

You're not the first person to report this, but I don't think anyone has
been able to come up with a plausible explanation, as that is NOT the way
Word usually works. What you will see is that if you select text and type
over it, Word will count the first letter typed as the replace operation and
the rest as "typing," so it takes two Undos to restore the replaced text.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

Reaction score
I may have stumbled upon the cause of this annoying behavior. Apparently when in "Overwrite" mode, keystrokes are taken as unique actions since they typically replace one letter with another. When typing at the end of a paragraph, the following paragraph is not overwritten; however, the keystrokes are still undone one at a time. To change the behavior, double-click "OVR" in the status bar or press the Insert key on the keyboard. This will toggle Overwrite mode between on and off. When it is off, the "OVR" will be greyed out and you will be able to undo whole blocks of text as one action.

***Note: the above fix applies to and has been demonstrated with MS Word 2003. It may or may not apply to other versions of Word, and the methods to perform certain commands may be different from the above depending on the version used.

Hope this helps,
Damian

Reaction score
I just stumbled across a solution online which worked for me - if you have page numbers selected for your document, it will only undo one letter at a time, but if you remove these page numbers it will then go back to normal. Yay!

Ask a Question