Undestructible file

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Crest Teethgel, Jun 23, 2010.

  1. The file to be deleted is: not locked, attribut normal, o byte
    The exception here is that it's filename ended with a space. Filename "25 The "

    explorer.exe gives the following message when the action is to delete it:
    Impossible de supprimer fichier: impossible de lire à partir du fichier ou de la disquette source
    This can be translated as:
    Impossible to delete file: Impossible to read from file or from diskettesource

    After a Google search I did the following (resulting messages are translated):

    del "25 The "
    del "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    Impossible to find ... 25 The

    chkdsk /f c:
    problem still persistant

    C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "25 The "
    C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    No message

    RmDir \\.\C:\prob /s /q
    25 The - Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.
    25 The - Specified file can not be found

    C:\SysinternalsSuite\sdelete.exe ".\25 The "
    No files found that match

    Boot with safety mode + del
    Impossible to find

    hardlinkcreate.exe ".\bof.txt" ".\25 The "
    Specified file (2) can not be found

    fsutil file createnew ".\25 The " 0
    25 The created.
    The file created here is "25 The" not "25 The ".

    From my humble opinion a direct intervention in NTFS is the only way togo.
    But I don't know how.

    Someone can help me ?
    Thank you in advance.

    Crest Teethgel, Jun 23, 2010

  2. Crest Teethgel wrote:
    > The file to be deleted is: not locked, attribut normal, o byte
    > The exception here is that it's filename ended with a space. Filename
    > "25 The "
    >
    > explorer.exe gives the following message when the action is to delete it:
    > Impossible de supprimer fichier: impossible de lire à partir du fichier
    > ou de la disquette source
    > This can be translated as:
    > Impossible to delete file: Impossible to read from file or from diskette
    > source
    >
    > After a Google search I did the following (resulting messages are
    > translated):
    >
    > del "25 The "
    > del "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    > Impossible to find ... 25 The
    >
    > chkdsk /f c:
    > problem still persistant
    >
    > C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "25 The "
    > C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    > No message
    >
    > RmDir \\.\C:\prob /s /q
    > 25 The - Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.
    > 25 The - Specified file can not be found
    >
    > C:\SysinternalsSuite\sdelete.exe ".\25 The "
    > No files found that match
    >
    > Boot with safety mode + del
    > Impossible to find
    >
    > hardlinkcreate.exe ".\bof.txt" ".\25 The "
    > Specified file (2) can not be found
    >
    > fsutil file createnew ".\25 The " 0
    > 25 The created.
    > The file created here is "25 The" not "25 The ".
    >
    > From my humble opinion a direct intervention in NTFS is the only way to
    > go.
    > But I don't know how.
    >
    > Someone can help me ?
    > Thank you in advance.

    Try dragging the file from Explorer to the DEL command at the Command
    Prompt.

    Open Explorer.exe and navigate to the stubborn file, leave the Explorer
    Window open.

    Open a Command Prompt and type the following partial command:

    del "\\?\

    Now, from Explorer highlight and grab the stubborn file and drag it to
    the Command Prompt and drop it at the end of the partial command. Pay
    attention to the "quotation marks", if there are spaces in the file name
    Explorer will automatically surround the path with quotation marks.
    Make sure that there is only on set of quotation marks, like so:

    del "\\?\C:\temp\New Text Document.txt"

    and *not* like this:

    "\\?\"C:\temp\New Text Document.txt"

    John

    John John - MVP, Jun 23, 2010

  3. Crest Teethgel

    Db Guest

    you might try running
    check disk so that the
    fat can be reconciled
    to the file system.

    another thing you might
    try is booting into safe
    mode and try to delete
    the file.

    lastly, I recall a utility
    that deletes zero byte
    files from the disk.

    don't recall what it is
    anymore,

    but worth a try searching
    for the feature and see
    what utility has it.

    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

    DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

    Db, Jun 23, 2010
  4. Crest Teethgel

    Paul Guest

    Crest Teethgel wrote:

    > The file to be deleted is: not locked, attribut normal, o byte
    > The exception here is that it's filename ended with a space. Filename
    > "25 The "
    >
    > explorer.exe gives the following message when the action is to delete it:
    > Impossible de supprimer fichier: impossible de lire à partir du fichier
    > ou de la disquette source
    > This can be translated as:
    > Impossible to delete file: Impossible to read from file or from diskette
    > source
    >
    > After a Google search I did the following (resulting messages are
    > translated):
    >
    > del "25 The "
    > del "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    > Impossible to find ... 25 The
    >
    > chkdsk /f c:
    > problem still persistant
    >
    > C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "25 The "
    > C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    > No message
    >
    > RmDir \\.\C:\prob /s /q
    > 25 The - Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.
    > 25 The - Specified file can not be found
    >
    > C:\SysinternalsSuite\sdelete.exe ".\25 The "
    > No files found that match
    >
    > Boot with safety mode + del
    > Impossible to find
    >
    > hardlinkcreate.exe ".\bof.txt" ".\25 The "
    > Specified file (2) can not be found
    >
    > fsutil file createnew ".\25 The " 0
    > 25 The created.
    > The file created here is "25 The" not "25 The ".
    >
    > From my humble opinion a direct intervention in NTFS is the only way to
    > go.
    > But I don't know how.
    >
    > Someone can help me ?
    > Thank you in advance.

    Some of the things you've tried, are described here.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

    NTFS stores file names in Unicode. Perhaps the
    file name is not exactly "25 The " as you expect ?

    Could it be, that a non-printable character is also
    in the file name ? That might be the problem, rather
    than the space character at the end of the name.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2010
  5. Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:46:28 -0400, John John - MVP <>wrote:

    > Try dragging the file from Explorer to the DEL command at the Command
    > Prompt.
    >
    > Open Explorer.exe and navigate to the stubborn file, leave the Explorer
    > Window open.
    >
    > Open a Command Prompt and type the following partial command:
    >
    > del "\\?\
    >
    > Now, from Explorer highlight and grab the stubborn file and drag it to
    > the Command Prompt and drop it at the end of the partial command. Pay
    > attention to the "quotation marks", if there are spaces in the file name
    > Explorer will automatically surround the path with quotation marks.
    > Make sure that there is only on set of quotation marks, like so:
    >
    > del "\\?\C:\temp\New Text Document.txt"
    >
    > and *not* like this:
    >
    > "\\?\"C:\temp\New Text Document.txt"

    From what I understood the UNC (Uniform Naming Convention) syntax
    could relieve some windows command from faulty filename.

    The example given was: del \\.\path\filename.ext

    Since my PC is not on a network the initial dot stands for localhost.
    And that command failed to remove the file.

    But with your syntax \\?\\path\filename. It works just fine.
    The ^%$#@ file is deleted. You can put this case in your well resolded pool !!!
    You deserve your MVP certificate.

    Can you tell me where I can learn more about UNC ?
    What does meen the ? instead of . for server identification ?

    Thanks again

    Jean-François

    Crest Teethgel, Jun 23, 2010
  6. Crest Teethgel

    Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Crest Teethgel wrote:
    >>
    >> The file to be deleted is: not locked, attribut normal, o byte
    >> The exception here is that it's filename ended with a space. Filename
    >> "25 The "
    >>
    >> explorer.exe gives the following message when the action is to delete it:
    >> Impossible de supprimer fichier: impossible de lire à partir du
    >> fichier ou de la disquette source
    >> This can be translated as:
    >> Impossible to delete file: Impossible to read from file or from
    >> diskette source
    >>
    >> After a Google search I did the following (resulting messages are
    >> translated):
    >>
    >> del "25 The "
    >> del "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    >> Impossible to find ... 25 The
    >>
    >> chkdsk /f c:
    >> problem still persistant
    >>
    >> C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "25 The "
    >> C:\gnuwin32\bin\rm -f "\\.\c:\prob\25 The "
    >> No message
    >>
    >> RmDir \\.\C:\prob /s /q
    >> 25 The - Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.
    >> 25 The - Specified file can not be found
    >>
    >> C:\SysinternalsSuite\sdelete.exe ".\25 The "
    >> No files found that match
    >>
    >> Boot with safety mode + del
    >> Impossible to find
    >>
    >> hardlinkcreate.exe ".\bof.txt" ".\25 The "
    >> Specified file (2) can not be found
    >>
    >> fsutil file createnew ".\25 The " 0
    >> 25 The created.
    >> The file created here is "25 The" not "25 The ".
    >>
    >> From my humble opinion a direct intervention in NTFS is the only way
    >> to go.
    >> But I don't know how.
    >>
    >> Someone can help me ?
    >> Thank you in advance.

    > Some of the things you've tried, are described here.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
    >
    > NTFS stores file names in Unicode. Perhaps the
    > file name is not exactly "25 The " as you expect ?
    >
    > Could it be, that a non-printable character is also
    > in the file name ? That might be the problem, rather
    > than the space character at the end of the name.
    >
    > Paul

    To test what the real file name might be, I tried some testing in
    a VirtualPC session. I have Win2K running in a virtual machine.
    I created an NTFS virtual disk in there, and put a few files on
    it at the root level.

    Next, I booted the same virtual machine, using a Linux LiveCD
    (Knoppix 6.2.1), and used the ntfsinfo command, which is
    part of some ntfs utilities. It is already included on the CD,
    and doesn't need to be installed with package manager or anything.

    This is the command that worked for me, to give an example of
    the syntax.

    ntfsinfo -v -F / -d /dev/sdb1

    The disk is not mounted in Linux, while running the command. If
    the file explorer window is currently showing the contents of the
    disk, you'd right click the disk icon and select an unmount option,
    to unmount it.

    Now, path names are referenced to the root level of the disk.
    In this example, by using the -v verbose option, the program
    will dump the file names of all the files in the "/" directory.
    If you were working in C:\some\directory , then you'd use

    -F /some/directory

    to list the directory contents. You still have to figure out the raw device
    name, which in my virtual example was /dev/sdb1. The "1" indicates
    in this example, that it was the first partition on the sdb disk
    device.

    So I can use that program, as an example of dumping detailed information
    about the files. I can get both the long file name and the short
    file name, using that method. Perhaps the file could be deleted,
    using its short file name (8.3 style).

    The weird part is, the execution of that command, does not give me
    the impression it could handle Unicode, but I don't really know how
    to fake a good Unicode example to work with :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2010
  7. Crest Teethgel wrote:
    > Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:46:28 -0400, John John - MVP <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Try dragging the file from Explorer to the DEL command at the Command
    >> Prompt.
    >>
    >> Open Explorer.exe and navigate to the stubborn file, leave the Explorer
    >> Window open.
    >>
    >> Open a Command Prompt and type the following partial command:
    >>
    >> del "\\?\
    >>
    >> Now, from Explorer highlight and grab the stubborn file and drag it to
    >> the Command Prompt and drop it at the end of the partial command. Pay
    >> attention to the "quotation marks", if there are spaces in the file name
    >> Explorer will automatically surround the path with quotation marks.
    >> Make sure that there is only on set of quotation marks, like so:
    >>
    >> del "\\?\C:\temp\New Text Document.txt"
    >>
    >> and *not* like this:
    >>
    >> "\\?\"C:\temp\New Text Document.txt"

    > From what I understood the UNC (Uniform Naming Convention) syntax
    > could relieve some windows command from faulty filename.
    >
    > The example given was: del \\.\path\filename.ext
    >
    > Since my PC is not on a network the initial dot stands for localhost.
    > And that command failed to remove the file.
    >
    > But with your syntax \\?\\path\filename. It works just fine.
    > The ^%$#@ file is deleted. You can put this case in your well resolded
    > pool !!!
    > You deserve your MVP certificate.
    >
    > Can you tell me where I can learn more about UNC ?
    > What does meen the ? instead of . for server identification ?

    It bypasses the Win32 reserved name check. Dropping the file to the
    command prompt is effective when dealing with special characters or
    trailing spaces.

    > Thanks again

    You're welcome.

    John

    John John - MVP, Jun 24, 2010
  8. Crest Teethgel

    pjp Guest

    You might also try a "wildcard" to delete the file, e.g. go into Safe Mode,
    open a command prompt, cd to the folder and use "del 25*.*" (note the space
    after 25). God, miss the old days and Norton Utilities where could easily
    just do the low level edit on the filename stored on the hard disk.

    pjp, Jun 24, 2010
  9. Crest Teethgel

    a Guest

    Boot with a Ubuntu Live CD and delete the file from outside Windows.

    a, Jun 24, 2010