    underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.

    I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
    appreciated.

    rekoop, Jan 9, 2004

  2. rekoop

    Graham Mayor Guest

    For a long underlined space in Word, you would use a tab with an underline
    leader.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    Graham Mayor, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Choose Tools - Options - Compatibility, and enable Draw Underline on
    Trailing Spaces. You might want to include Add Spaces for Underlines, too.

    --
    Herb Tyson MS MVP
    http://www.herbtyson.com

    Herb Tyson [MVP], Jan 9, 2004
  4. There are several ways to create blank lines in Word. Other respondents have
    pointed you to some of them. For more, see
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jan 9, 2004
  5. And you don't need to do this as long as the last space to be underlined is
    a nonbreaking one (Ctrl+Shift+Space).

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jan 9, 2004
  6. rekoop

    Bruce Guest

    You can press Ctrl + Shift + Spacebar to create a
    nonbreaking space which can be formatted with underlines,
    text borders, etc. With underline selected on the
    toolbar, hold down the spacebar to create a string of
    underline nonbreaking spaces (a line). It would probably
    be easier, though, to set the tab where you want the end
    of the line, select underline, and press the tab key.

    Bruce, Jan 9, 2004
  7. rekoop

    TF Guest

    Bruce

    As Suzanne pointed out in her post, it is only the final space that needs to
    be non-breaking.

    --
    Terry Farrell - Word MVP
    http://www.mvps.org/word/

    TF, Jan 9, 2004
  8. rekoop

    Nomad Guest

    Herb, is there any way I can do what you suggested (below) for all docs or
    must I (re) do this for each and every doc I start?
    --
    Nomad

    Nomad, Jan 9, 2004
  9. rekoop

    Bruce Guest

    Understood, but if somebody tries to go to the end of the
    line and backspace to shorten it, the nonbreaking space
    (and the underline) disappear. BTW, Suzanne's post had
    not yet appeared when I posted. I learned this trick from
    her in the first place.

    Bruce, Jan 12, 2004
  10. rekoop

    TF Guest

    Bruce

    You are using the CDO interface to post and there has been sync problems
    over the weekend. If possible, you should connect using Outlook Express and
    connect directly to the public msnews.microsoft.com news server. It updates
    quicker (usually in 5 mins or less) and is more reliable than the CDO
    interface.

    A good reason the use all non-breaking spaces if someone is going to shorten
    the line.

    Terry

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    : Understood, but if somebody tries to go to the end of the
    : line and backspace to shorten it, the nonbreaking space
    : (and the underline) disappear. BTW, Suzanne's post had
    : not yet appeared when I posted. I learned this trick from
    : her in the first place.
    : >As Suzanne pointed out in her post, it is only the final
    : space that needs to
    : >be non-breaking.
    : >
    : >--
    : >Terry Farrell - Word MVP
    : >http://www.mvps.org/word/
    : >
    : >"Bruce" <> wrote in
    : message
    : >news:007f01c3d6cf$bffd2ac0$...
    : >You can press Ctrl + Shift + Spacebar to create a
    : >nonbreaking space which can be formatted with underlines,
    : >text borders, etc. With underline selected on the
    : >toolbar, hold down the spacebar to create a string of
    : >underline nonbreaking spaces (a line). It would probably
    : >be easier, though, to set the tab where you want the end
    : >of the line, select underline, and press the tab key.
    : >>Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
    : >>present on the underlining or after it?
    : >>I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
    : >>hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
    : >>choosing.
    : >>
    : >>I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
    : >>underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.
    : >>
    : >>I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
    : >>appreciated.
    : >>.
    : >>
    : >