Unattended Windows 2000 Pro install fails during final reboot

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Deployment' started by SmarSquid, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. SmarSquid

    SmarSquid Guest

    I am attempting a fully unattended install of win2k pro on a system whose
    hard disk is attached to a PCI mass storage controller (no built in Windows
    support).

    I am able to bypass the "F6 to load 3rd party SCSI drivers" using the method
    described here.

    http://www.fluctuation.co.uk/projects/UI/08hack2kdistribution.html

    In fact, everything goes as planned and the entire Windows 2000 installation
    takes place with no intervention on my part. At the very end of the GUI
    install process, the system reboots itself one last time. On this final
    reboot, I get the blue screen of death stop error and the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT
    DEVICE" message.

    At this point the entire OS is loaded onto the hard disk and there should be
    no problem. After all, the drivers were loaded as a part of the textmode
    setup, and the hard disk was recognized then. The hard disk was also
    recognized and functioning during the GUI phase of setup. The final reboot
    comes along and all of the sudden this same hard disk is inaccessible? I am
    perplexed.

    I can provide details on my txtsetup.sif, hivesys.inf, $oem$ directory,
    winnt.sif (unattended script) upon request.

    SmarSquid, Mar 5, 2004

  2. SmarSquid

    David Adner Guest

    During GUI mode setup, if you press SHIFT-F10, it'll drop you to a CMD
    prompt. From there, try running devmgmt.msc (that's Device Manager).
    Not all tools will load during GUI setup, but I think this one will. If
    it does load, verify the correct device and driver is loading. Perhaps
    the PNP detection is finding the controller and replacing your OEM
    driver with an incorrect (wrong entirely or perhaps different version)
    driver.

    David Adner, Mar 5, 2004