"Unable to varify media..." FS2002

Chris Burson

When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The game
installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is happening?
(Running WinXPP)

Cheers,

Chris

Jimmy S.

Hi Chris,

Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS 2002.
If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known issue.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Chris Burson

That's very nice of you, Jimmy. The message reads:

"Could not verify installation media. Click cancel to end setup or retry to
attempt to continue. For more information, see Readme, which is available on
the root of disk 1."

(Readme is no use at all!) I am the only account on this computer & am set
to Administrator.

Jimmy, I am also trying to get this resolved with MS online support, but
with no luck. (I've not heard anything from them since the 11th...) I shall
post the last message & response below. Note that the problem has changed a
little since Victor suggested trying Win98/2000 mode.

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers,

Chris

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
: Hi Chris,
:
: Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS 2002.
: If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
: again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known issue.
:
: "Chris Burson" wrote in message
: |
: | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The game
: | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is happening?
: | (Running WinXPP)
: |
: | Cheers,
: |
: | Chris
: |
:
: --
: Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
: Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Chris Burson

The following is the last communication I had with MS technical support:

<< "My name is Victor... I understand from your problem description that you
get an "Write Protect" error while installing the game in the "D:\" drive of
your hard drive. Chris,according to my knowledge,the following can be the
possible reasons for this issue,

-There may not be sufficient space in your "D:\" drive.Kindly check into
this."

Victor, many thanks for the swift reply. There is 15GB (out of 20GB) free on
'D', but when using the 'Run in Win xx' mode, the installation only
recognises 2GB of free space (and the same on 'J', which is an empty
partition of 23GB+).

"-You have not logged in as the SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR of your computer."

My account is the only account on the computer, and is an Administrator's
Account. (The Guest Account is turned off.)

"As another workaround with this issue we can try the following
compatiblility test... Run game installation in compatibility mode."

I tried this (Win95 & NT4 are not compatible with FS2002, apparently.) In
Win98/Me mode, I got an error message 'Could not verify installation
media...' - whatever that means! (Win2000 mode gave me the 'Disk is Write
Protected...' error.)

"Chris,if the issue seems to be persistant,i'd recommend you to contact your
computer manufacturer or the OEM(Original Equipments Manufacturer) as this
it may involve in restoring the security settings in the drives that have
"NTFS" partitions.It involves using the Microsoft Management Console(MMC) to
restore the security settings which would be best ,if done through your
OEM.I appreciate your understanding regarding the same."

Unfortunately, Sony technical support is not famous for being good. Their
technical support people (who do not use Sony computers!) only offer the
most basic help and if you persist, they say do a full system restore (with
the supplied image disks), which obviously wipes out everything, or else
they offer to replace a part if it's under guarantee; neither of them are
solutions, really.

"Please update me on the results after trying out the troubleshooting steps.
Also feel free to discuss any information that is not clear to you. I'll be
glad to be of assistance."

As all my partitions are NTFS, I am interested in the 'security settings'
that you mentioned. Isn't the Administrator responsible for setting all the
things like that? (And if that is the case, why is FS2002 the only program
to trip up on them?)

Cheers, Victor,

Chris >>

So that's everything! As I said to Victor, all the other programs installed
to the 'D' drive correctly, and FS2002 installed fine on my old Sony laptop
(Win XP Home), so I am right confused. Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Chris

in message
: When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The game
: installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is happening?
: (Running WinXPP)
:
: Cheers,
:
: Chris

Jimmy S.

Hi Chris,

Here are several more ideas / possible solutions to try. I hope they help! :)

1. Create another Administrator user account and install the game using it.

2. Try copying the entire CD to your hard drive and then run the
setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD click:
My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy",
then Right-Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

3. Change the Local CD Rom Access Security Policy by either following
the instructions below, or more easily, you can download the Registry Fix
from: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 264 / 2nd Col.
titled: Access Denied - CD Rom, ... Doubleclick the Reg Fix after you DL it
for it to install. If you prefer the manual method, then follow the steps below:

To change the policy with the policy editor, using an Administrators account,
Click Start / Control Panel and Click Administrative Tools
Click on "Local Security Policy" to start that Application

Click the + to expand Local Policies / Click on Security Options
In the list on the Left right look for the following entry:
"Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only"
If it says Enabled, right click on it / Properties / select Disabled.
If it was already Disabled leave it alone. Close the Application.

4. Try the CD Troubleshooting tips at both http://tinyurl.com/2387c and

Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| That's very nice of you, Jimmy. The message reads:
|
| "Could not verify installation media. Click cancel to end setup or retry to
| attempt to continue. For more information, see Readme, which is available on
| the root of disk 1."
|
| (Readme is no use at all!) I am the only account on this computer & am set
| to Administrator.
|
| Jimmy, I am also trying to get this resolved with MS online support, but
| with no luck. (I've not heard anything from them since the 11th...) I shall
| post the last message & response below. Note that the problem has changed a
| little since Victor suggested trying Win98/2000 mode.
|
| Any help is much appreciated,
|
| Cheers,
|
| Chris
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : Hi Chris,
| :
| : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS 2002.
| : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
| : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known issue.
| :
| : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : |
| : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The game
| : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is happening?
| : | (Running WinXPP)
| : |
| : | Cheers,
| : |
| : | Chris
| : |
| :
| : --
| : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| : Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Chris Burson

Again, Jimmy, you're very kind - I appreciate all the effort you've gone to
here, thanks! I shall give all these ideas a go over the next few days and
post back.

Many thanks again,

[...]

: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641
:
: --
: Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
: Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
:
: Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
: Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
Contact
: MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
: My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.
: _________________________________________________________
:
[...]
: | :
: | : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS 2002.
: | : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
: | : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known
issue.
: | :
: | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
: | : |
: | : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The
game
: | : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is happening?
: | : | (Running WinXPP)
: | : |
: | : | Cheers,
: | : |
: | : | Chris
: | : |
: | :
: | : --
: | : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
: | : Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
: |
: |
:
:

Jimmy S.

You're most welcome Chris. I hope it works out for you. :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

> [...]
| : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| : Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| :
| : Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| : Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| : MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| : My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.
| : _________________________________________________________
| :
| : "Chris Burson"
| : | That's very nice of you, Jimmy. The message reads:
| : |
| : | "Could not verify installation media. Click cancel to end setup or retry
| : | attempt to continue. For more information, see Readme, which is
| : |
| : | (Readme is no use at all!) I am the only account on this computer & am
| set
| : | to Administrator.
| : |
| : | Jimmy, I am also trying to get this resolved with MS online support, but
| : | with no luck. (I've not heard anything from them since the 11th...) I
| shall
| : | post the last message & response below. Note that the problem has
| changed a
| : | little since Victor suggested trying Win98/2000 mode.
| : |
| : | Any help is much appreciated,
| : |
| : | Cheers,
| : |
| : | Chris
| : |
| : | "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : | : Hi Chris,
| : | :
| : | : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS 2002.
| : | : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
| : | : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known
| issue.
| : | :
| : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : | : |
| : | : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The
| game
| : | : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is happening?
| : | : | (Running WinXPP)
| : | : |
| : | : | Cheers,
| : | : |
| : | : | Chris
| : | : |
| : | :
| : | : --
| : | : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| : | : Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| : |
| : |
| :
| :

Chris Burson

I've tried these things now, Jimmy, but nothing worked unfortunately...

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
:
: 1. Create another Administrator user account and install the game using
it.

This got the same error message that I intially received, "File name is
invalid or too long, drive is write protected...' etc.

: 2. Try copying the entire CD to your hard drive and then run the
: setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD click:
: My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy",
: then Right-Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

The same result as suggestion no. 1.

: 3. ... If you prefer the manual method, then follow the steps below:
:
: To change the policy with the policy editor, using an Administrators
account,
: Click Start / Control Panel and Click Administrative Tools
: Click on "Local Security Policy" to start that Application
:
: Click the + to expand Local Policies / Click on Security Options
: In the list on the Left right look for the following entry:
: "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only"
: If it says Enabled, right click on it / Properties / select
Disabled.
: If it was already Disabled leave it alone. Close the
Application.

The option here was already set to Disabled (and remains so).

: 4. Try the CD Troubleshooting tips at both http://tinyurl.com/2387c and
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

There was not much here that helped, though it did prompt me to try the
installation via an external USB drive, but I got the same results as listed
at the end of this thread (only recognising about 2 GB of each drive etc.),
i.e. the same results as the internal DVD drive. (I didn't try changing the
internal DVD drive letter because that messed up several other programs last
time - especially those that only run from their CD.)

I'll try Victor as MS support again but I think he's rather given up me with
this! If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

Thanks again for your time & effort, Jimmy,

[...]

Here's a few questions, which might shine some light on the problem.
I don't guarantee that I can solve it for you, but I might be able to at
least provide a path towards a solution.

What does your drive setup look like?
Which letters are assigned to CD or DVD drives?
Which letters are assigned to hard drives/partitions,
and which file system are they formatted with?

At what point in the install do you get that error message?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I've tried these things now, Jimmy, but nothing worked unfortunately...
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| :
| : 1. Create another Administrator user account and install the game using
| it.
|
| This got the same error message that I intially received, "File name is
| invalid or too long, drive is write protected...' etc.
|
| : 2. Try copying the entire CD to your hard drive and then run the
| : setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD click:
| : My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy",
| : then Right-Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".
|
| The same result as suggestion no. 1.
|
| : 3. ... If you prefer the manual method, then follow the steps below:
| :
| : To change the policy with the policy editor, using an Administrators
| account,
| : Click Start / Control Panel and Click Administrative Tools
| : Click on "Local Security Policy" to start that Application
| :
| : Click the + to expand Local Policies / Click on Security Options
| : In the list on the Left right look for the following entry:
| : "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only"
| : If it says Enabled, right click on it / Properties / select
| Disabled.
| : If it was already Disabled leave it alone. Close the
| Application.
|
| The option here was already set to Disabled (and remains so).
|
| : 4. Try the CD Troubleshooting tips at both http://tinyurl.com/2387c and
| : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641
|
| There was not much here that helped, though it did prompt me to try the
| installation via an external USB drive, but I got the same results as listed
| at the end of this thread (only recognising about 2 GB of each drive etc.),
| i.e. the same results as the internal DVD drive. (I didn't try changing the
| internal DVD drive letter because that messed up several other programs last
| time - especially those that only run from their CD.)
|
| I'll try Victor as MS support again but I think he's rather given up me with
| this! If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.
|
| Thanks again for your time & effort, Jimmy,
|
| Cheers,
|
| Chris
|
| : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : | That's very nice of you, Jimmy. The message reads:
| : |
| : | "Could not verify installation media. Click cancel to end setup or retry
| : | attempt to continue. For more information, see Readme, which is
| available on
| : | the root of disk 1."
| : |
| : | (Readme is no use at all!) I am the only account on this computer & am
| set
| : | to Administrator.
| : |
| : | Jimmy, I am also trying to get this resolved with MS online support, but
| : | with no luck. (I've not heard anything from them since the 11th...) I
| shall
| : | post the last message & response below. Note that the problem has
| changed a
| : | little since Victor suggested trying Win98/2000 mode.
| : |
| : | Any help is much appreciated,
| : |
| : | Cheers,
| : |
| : | Chris
| : |
| : | "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : | : Hi Chris,
| : | :
| : | : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS 2002.
| : | : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
| : | : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known
| issue.
| : | :
| : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : | : |
| : | : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The
| game
| : | : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is happening?
| : | : | (Running WinXPP)
| : | : |
| : | : | Cheers,
| : | : |
| : | : | Chris
| : | : |
| : | :
| : | : --
| : | : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| : | : Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| : |
| : |
| :
| :

Chris Burson

My drives are: A: floppy, C: Windows partition, D: programs partition, E:
DVD/CD-RW, F: Memory Stick, G: My Documents partition, H: Temp File
partition, I: Page File partition, J: big empty space partition. (K: is also
used for removable drives.) They are all NTFS (Win XP Pro).

When I try to install FS2002, I get a screen asking if I want Acrobat Reader
installed (No), Windows Media Player (No) and, sometimes, a screen tells me
that DirectX has failed to install (all these are already installed to their
latest releases).

Then I get the default install option to 'J' (or 'I' if the 'J' partition is
removed). Changing this to 'D' (but still using the default 'Program
Files/Microsoft Games/FS 2002') I get the following error (which is
different from before - see below):

"The path you selected specifies an invalid drive or the folder is invalid,
incomplete, too long, or write-protected. Enter a full path with the drive
letter; for example, J:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS2002."

I have heard from Victor at MS Support who had me do all sorts of weird and
wonderful things with the security settings (using MMC - never touched that
before!). I set all drive partitions to 'green tick' (allowing access, as
far as I understand it) but the problem is still there. I have e-mailed him
back and will probably hear from him next week...

Jimmy, would you be able to even guess why this problem only affects FS2002
and none of the other programs I've installed? I have just installed Monte
Cristo's City Trader to 'D' drive quite happily. Of course, if you have a
life and want to live it, I will quite understand if you just say 'I have no
idea, now bog off''! (Hell, I would!)

Thanks again for all you time & effort, Jimmy.

[...]

: | : | :
: | : | : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS
2002.
: | : | : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
: | : | : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known
: | issue.
: | : | :
: | : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
: | : | : |
: | : | : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The
: | game
: | : | : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is
happening?
: | : | : | (Running WinXPP)
: | : | : |
: | : | : | Cheers,
: | : | : |
: | : | : | Chris
: | : | : |
: | : | :
: | : | : --
: | : | : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell /
User
: | : | : Jimmy S.
: | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
: | : |
: | : |
: | :
: | :
: |
: |
:
:

Jimmy S.

Hi Chris,

Maybe it doesn't like the non-standard My Documents location.
If you can change that back to it's default location it might work,
especially if you can create the target game directory in advance.

Please keep all the info you posted quoted in your reply, thanks. :)

> [...]
| : Which letters are assigned to CD or DVD drives?
| : Which letters are assigned to hard drives/partitions,
| : and which file system are they formatted with?
| :
| : At what point in the install do you get that error message?
| :
| : --
| : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| : Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| :
| : _________________________________________________________
| :
| : "Chris Burson"
| : | I've tried these things now, Jimmy, but nothing worked unfortunately...
| : |
| : | "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : | :
| : | : 1. Create another Administrator user account and install the game
| : |
| : | This got the same error message that I intially received, "File name is
| : | invalid or too long, drive is write protected...' etc.
| : |
| : | : 2. Try copying the entire CD to your hard drive and then run the
| : | : setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD click:
| : | : My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy",
| : | : then Right-Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".
| : |
| : | The same result as suggestion no. 1.
| : |
| : | : 3. ... If you prefer the manual method, then follow the steps below:
| : | :
| : | : To change the policy with the policy editor, using an Administrators
| : | account,
| : | : Click Start / Control Panel and Click Administrative Tools
| : | : Click on "Local Security Policy" to start that Application
| : | :
| : | : Click the + to expand Local Policies / Click on Security Options
| : | : In the list on the Left right look for the following entry:
| : | : "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user
| only"
| : | : If it says Enabled, right click on it / Properties /
| select
| : | Disabled.
| : | : If it was already Disabled leave it alone. Close the
| : | Application.
| : |
| : | The option here was already set to Disabled (and remains so).
| : |
| : | : 4. Try the CD Troubleshooting tips at both http://tinyurl.com/2387c
| and
| : | : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641
| : |
| : | There was not much here that helped, though it did prompt me to try the
| : | installation via an external USB drive, but I got the same results as
| listed
| : | at the end of this thread (only recognising about 2 GB of each drive
| etc.),
| : | i.e. the same results as the internal DVD drive. (I didn't try changing
| the
| : | internal DVD drive letter because that messed up several other programs
| last
| : | time - especially those that only run from their CD.)
| : |
| : | I'll try Victor as MS support again but I think he's rather given up me
| with
| : | this! If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.
| : |
| : | Thanks again for your time & effort, Jimmy,
| : |
| : | Cheers,
| : |
| : | Chris
| : |
| : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : | : | That's very nice of you, Jimmy. The message reads:
| : | : |
| : | : | "Could not verify installation media. Click cancel to end setup or
| retry
| : | : | attempt to continue. For more information, see Readme, which is
| : | available on
| : | : | the root of disk 1."
| : | : |
| : | : | (Readme is no use at all!) I am the only account on this computer &
| am
| : | set
| : | : | to Administrator.
| : | : |
| : | : | Jimmy, I am also trying to get this resolved with MS online support,
| but
| : | : | with no luck. (I've not heard anything from them since the 11th...)
| : | shall
| : | : | post the last message & response below. Note that the problem has
| : | changed a
| : | : | little since Victor suggested trying Win98/2000 mode.
| : | : |
| : | : | Any help is much appreciated,
| : | : |
| : | : | Cheers,
| : | : |
| : | : | Chris
| : | : |
| : | : | "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : | : | : Hi Chris,
| : | : | :
| : | : | : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS
| 2002.
| : | : | : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error message
| : | : | : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a known
| : | issue.
| : | : | :
| : | : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message. The
| : | game
| : | : | : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is
| happening?
| : | : | : | (Running WinXPP)
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | Cheers,
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | Chris
| : | : | : |

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Chris Burson

First, sorry for the long delay, Jimmy...

Second - what a time I've had with this! To cut a long story short, Victor
at MS support was sure that it was a security issue and lastly suggested
that I do a defrag. Well, I'd already done that to no avail but it got me
wondering about the security access to the drives... And your re-location of
My Docs my have been related. (I've no experience or knowledge to back that
lot up with, just plain guessing!)

Anyway, I decided to re-size the D drive to see - but I forgot that I'd
taken the DVD/CD-RW drive out (my laptop runs hot sometimes, so I usually
use it without the drive installed). When it rebooted, all the drive letters
had been re-assigned. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! This caused numerous problems - not
least the deletion of all my e-mails because OE recreated a new Store
Folder... But I digress again.

I put the DVD drive back in but before I changed the drive letters back I
thought I'd have a go at installing FS2002. I had the disks copied to D
drive from a few weeks ago, but I got the 'Unable to verify media...' error.
But the CDs worked fine! It's all installed and working correctly now, and I
have sorted most of the problems with the drive letter changes (but still
lost all my e-mails since the last back up - very irritating to say the
least).

Still, it's working now, so thanks for all your help, Jimmy (& Victor at MS
support). I don't really understand why it was such a pain before or why
drive letter changes should make such a difference (to only one program),
but it works and that's good enough for me! At last!

[...]

: | : _________________________________________________________
: | :
[...]
: | : | : | :
: | : | : | : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS
: | 2002.
: | : | : | : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error
message
: | : | : | : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a
known
: | : | issue.
: | : | : | :
: | : | : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
: | : | : | : |
: | : | : | : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message.
The
: | : | game
: | : | : | : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is
: | happening?
: | : | : | : | (Running WinXPP)
: | : | : | : |
: | : | : | : | Cheers,
: | : | : | : |
: | : | : | : | Chris
: | : | : | : |
: | : | : | :
: | : | : | : --
:
: --
: Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
: Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
:
:
: Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
: Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
Contact
: MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
: My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.
: _________________________________________________________
:
:

Jimmy S.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for a great reply! I'll make sure that your experience
helps someone else if we ever encounter the same problem.

My theory based on the extensive details you posted below is
that the installation program was trying to write to the DVD player,
and of course failed because the CD was "read only" and therefore
the installation concluded that you don't have sufficient rights to
write to the DVD and suggested you use an Administrator's account.

Although OE isn't my forté, you should be able to copy and paste
the contents of your old "News and Mail" storage folder into your
new one. Overwrite any files when prompted to. Good luck! :)

--
> [...]

| :
| : Please keep all the info you posted quoted in your reply, thanks. :)
| :
| | : | My drives are: A: floppy, C: Windows partition, D: programs partition,
| E:
| : | DVD/CD-RW, F: Memory Stick, G: My Documents partition, H: Temp File
| : | partition, I: Page File partition, J: big empty space partition. (K: is
| also
| : | used for removable drives.) They are all NTFS (Win XP Pro).
| : |
| : | When I try to install FS2002, I get a screen asking if I want Acrobat
| Reader
| : | installed (No), Windows Media Player (No) and, sometimes, a screen tells
| me
| : | that DirectX has failed to install (all these are already installed to
| : |
| : | Then I get the default install option to 'J' (or 'I' if the 'J'
| partition is
| : | removed). Changing this to 'D' (but still using the default 'Program
| : | Files/Microsoft Games/FS 2002') I get the following error (which is
| : | different from before - see below):
| : |
| : | "The path you selected specifies an invalid drive or the folder is
| invalid,
| : | incomplete, too long, or write-protected. Enter a full path with the
| drive
| : | letter; for example, J:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS2002."
| : |
| : | I have heard from Victor at MS Support who had me do all sorts of weird
| and
| : | wonderful things with the security settings (using MMC - never touched
| that
| : | before!). I set all drive partitions to 'green tick' (allowing access,
| as
| : | far as I understand it) but the problem is still there. I have e-mailed
| him
| : | back and will probably hear from him next week...
| : |
| : | Jimmy, would you be able to even guess why this problem only affects
| FS2002
| : | and none of the other programs I've installed? I have just installed
| Monte
| : | Cristo's City Trader to 'D' drive quite happily. Of course, if you have
| : | life and want to live it, I will quite understand if you just say 'I
| have no
| : | idea, now bog off''! (Hell, I would!)
| : |
| : | Thanks again for all you time & effort, Jimmy.
| : |
| : | Cheers,
| : |
| : | Chris
| : |
| : |
| : | "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : | : Hi Chris,
| : | :
| : | : Here's a few questions, which might shine some light on the problem.
| : | : I don't guarantee that I can solve it for you, but I might be able to
| at
| : | : least provide a path towards a solution.
| : | :
| : | : What does your drive setup look like?
| : | : Which letters are assigned to CD or DVD drives?
| : | : Which letters are assigned to hard drives/partitions,
| : | : and which file system are they formatted with?
| : | :
| : | : At what point in the install do you get that error message?
| : | :
| : | : --
| : | : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| : | : Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| : | :
| : | : _________________________________________________________
| : | :
| : | : "Chris Burson"
| : | : | I've tried these things now, Jimmy, but nothing worked
| unfortunately...
| : | : |
| : | : | "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : | : | :
| : | : | : 1. Create another Administrator user account and install the game
| : | using
| : | : | it.
| : | : |
| : | : | This got the same error message that I intially received, "File name
| is
| : | : | invalid or too long, drive is write protected...' etc.
| : | : |
| : | : | : 2. Try copying the entire CD to your hard drive and then run the
| : | : | : setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD
| click:
| : | : | : My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy",
| : | : | : then Right-Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".
| : | : |
| : | : | The same result as suggestion no. 1.
| : | : |
| : | : | : 3. ... If you prefer the manual method, then follow the steps
| below:
| : | : | :
| : | : | : To change the policy with the policy editor, using an
| Administrators
| : | : | account,
| : | : | : Click Start / Control Panel and Click Administrative Tools
| : | : | : Click on "Local Security Policy" to start that Application
| : | : | :
| : | : | : Click the + to expand Local Policies / Click on Security
| : | : | : In the list on the Left right look for the following
| entry:
| : | : | : "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user
| : | only"
| : | : | : If it says Enabled, right click on it / Properties /
| : | select
| : | : | Disabled.
| : | : | : If it was already Disabled leave it alone. Close
| the
| : | : | Application.
| : | : |
| : | : | The option here was already set to Disabled (and remains so).
| : | : |
| : | : | : 4. Try the CD Troubleshooting tips at both
| http://tinyurl.com/2387c
| : | and
| : | : | : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641
| : | : |
| : | : | There was not much here that helped, though it did prompt me to try
| the
| : | : | installation via an external USB drive, but I got the same results
| as
| : | listed
| : | : | at the end of this thread (only recognising about 2 GB of each drive
| : | etc.),
| : | : | i.e. the same results as the internal DVD drive. (I didn't try
| changing
| : | the
| : | : | internal DVD drive letter because that messed up several other
| programs
| : | last
| : | : | time - especially those that only run from their CD.)
| : | : |
| : | : | I'll try Victor as MS support again but I think he's rather given up
| me
| : | with
| : | : | this! If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.
| : | : |
| : | : | Thanks again for your time & effort, Jimmy,
| : | : |
| : | : | Cheers,
| : | : |
| : | : | Chris
| : | : |
| : | : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : | : | : | That's very nice of you, Jimmy. The message reads:
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | "Could not verify installation media. Click cancel to end setup
| or
| : | retry
| : | : | : | attempt to continue. For more information, see Readme, which is
| : | : | available on
| : | : | : | the root of disk 1."
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | (Readme is no use at all!) I am the only account on this
| computer &
| : | am
| : | : | set
| : | : | : | to Administrator.
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | Jimmy, I am also trying to get this resolved with MS online
| support,
| : | but
| : | : | : | with no luck. (I've not heard anything from them since the
| 11th...)
| : | I
| : | : | shall
| : | : | : | post the last message & response below. Note that the problem
| has
| : | : | changed a
| : | : | : | little since Victor suggested trying Win98/2000 mode.
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | Any help is much appreciated,
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | Cheers,
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | Chris
| : | : | : |
| : | : | : | "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| : | : | : | : Hi Chris,
| : | : | : | :
| : | : | : | : Make sure you're using an administrators account to install FS
| : | 2002.
| : | : | : | : If the problem continues, post back with the exact error
| message
| : | : | : | : again, and I'll research the knowledge base to see if it's a
| known
| : | : | issue.
| : | : | : | :
| : | : | : | : "Chris Burson" wrote in message
| : | : | : | : |
| : | : | : | : | When I try to install FS2002, I get the above error message.
| The
| : | : | game
| : | : | : | : | installed fine on my old computer - any ideas why this is
| : | happening?
| : | : | : | : | (Running WinXPP)
| : | : | : | : |
| : | : | : | : | Cheers,
| : | : | : | : |
| : | : | : | : | Chris
| : | : | : | : |
| : | : | : | :
| : | : | : | : --
| :
| : --
| : Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| : Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| :
| :
| : Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| : Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| : MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| : My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.
| : _________________________________________________________
| :
| :

Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have also just found this problem (could not verify installation media) and not surprisingly, its FS2002 that Im trying to install.

Im trying to put it on a netbook (Win 7 starter - yes, I know, I know!) -without a CD drive - so I've copied the entire disc onto a USB stick and then onto the desktop on the netbook and run setup.

Run setup.exe > Install > "welcome to FS2002 setup" (NEXT) > "install adobe" (no as I already have a later version installed) > " Install with default installation options" (YES) > FS2002 setup "could not verify installation media"

I've tried changing options to install (old) adobe, and also custom installation options - but still same problem.

It does appear to (try to) install it to the right directory (C:\program files\ Microsoft Games \ FS2002 (not sure if this helps anyone but thought I'd mention it just in case)
Anything else I could try?
thanks
sean