Unable to share any folder, "Incorrect function"

When I try to share a folder, I receive this error message:

"An error occurred while trying to share xxx. Incorrect function.
The shared resource was not created at this time."

This happens with every folder I try to share.

In computer management when I try to add a share, I get the same error:
"The folder could not be shared for the following reason:
Incorrect function."

Also, in the Network and Sharing center, when I turn on Public folder
sharing, I get the same "Incorrect function" error.

I've already shared folders some time ago, and they still work. I can remove
a share, but not add new ones, so it must be a setting or something like that
I screwed up...

I did a search on google, but found one forum post about somebody with the
same problem, but no information about how to solve this.
Does somebody know about this problem and how to fix it?

YAY, after hours of searching for possible causes I finally solved the problem.

I opened the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" and clicked the
"Restore defaults" button, and that solved the problem, and I can now share
files again.

If somebody has the same problem, you should try that out.

Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have same issue with Srv2008R2 but while trying to reset fw, it just gives another error

Error: 3

Then I configured those file and printer sharing INBOUND rules through GPO's and outbound rules manually, but it didn't fix the issue.

I still can't make new shares.

Last edited:
Joined
May 23, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks man, you saved my day! :)
I spent some 2 days looking for solution, and your solution worked also for me (Windows 2008 R2 Server)