Unable to set up local web

Discussion in 'Windows XP Configuration' started by Dave Logan, Jul 28, 2007.

  1. Dave Logan

    Dave Logan Guest

    I cross-posted about this a few days ago to the IIS and FrontPage groups
    (see: http://tinyurl.com/3xvw9r) but it appears that no-one there knows what
    I can do about it (it's two days since anyone but me posted to that thread);
    and in any case it seems to be basically an XP configuration problem rather
    than anything wrong with FP or IIS as such, so I thought I should try
    posting here. Can anyone help? I've now spent an entire week trying to fix
    this and I'm tearing my hair out now. Please can someone help?

    I recently bought a new laptop which had XP Pro SP2 installed, but not IIS.
    I then installed IIS and the FP Extensions (which are definitely configured
    correctly as far as IIS is concerned).

    However, if I open My Network Places and open "Add Network Place", and type
    in http://localhost, I get the message: "The folder you entered does not
    appear to be valid. Please choose another."

    Clearly, something is blocking my computer from recognising the existence of
    local webs, even though as far as IIS is concerned, my local web is set up
    correctly, and so are the FP Extensions.

    2) If I right-click My Computer and select Manage, then open the Event
    Viewer, under Application I can see several Errors, all of which say "COM+"
    under "Source"; and if I double-click on any of them, the Event Properties
    Description reads: "The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency
    in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process
    that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+
    application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in
    d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\txprop\dtcinfo.cpp(158).hr=8000fffff:
    TransactionManager->GetWhereaboutsSize. For more information see Help and
    Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp"

    If I click the link to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp, I get a
    message saying There is no additional information about this issue in the
    Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases"

    I googled for that error and found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444.

    The article is way over my head but it does mention the COM+ application
    error that I'm getting. Please could some of the MVPs here look at this
    article and let me know if it's relevant to my problem, and if so, in
    layman's language, what I need to do to fix it?

    Do I need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch, or
    is there a less drastic solution? What would the MVPs here do if they had
    the problem I have?

    Dave

    Dave Logan, Jul 28, 2007

  2. Dave Logan

    Guest Guest

    "Dave Logan" wrote:

    > I cross-posted about this a few days ago to the IIS and FrontPage groups
    > (see: http://tinyurl.com/3xvw9r) but it appears that no-one there knows what
    > I can do about it (it's two days since anyone but me posted to that thread);
    > and in any case it seems to be basically an XP configuration problem rather
    > than anything wrong with FP or IIS as such, so I thought I should try
    > posting here. Can anyone help? I've now spent an entire week trying to fix
    > this and I'm tearing my hair out now. Please can someone help?
    >
    > I recently bought a new laptop which had XP Pro SP2 installed, but not IIS.
    > I then installed IIS and the FP Extensions (which are definitely configured
    > correctly as far as IIS is concerned).
    >
    > However, if I open My Network Places and open "Add Network Place", and type
    > in http://localhost, I get the message: "The folder you entered does not
    > appear to be valid. Please choose another."
    >
    > Clearly, something is blocking my computer from recognising the existence of
    > local webs, even though as far as IIS is concerned, my local web is set up
    > correctly, and so are the FP Extensions.
    >
    > 2) If I right-click My Computer and select Manage, then open the Event
    > Viewer, under Application I can see several Errors, all of which say "COM+"
    > under "Source"; and if I double-click on any of them, the Event Properties
    > Description reads: "The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency
    > in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process
    > that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+
    > application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in
    > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\txprop\dtcinfo.cpp(158).hr=8000fffff:
    > TransactionManager->GetWhereaboutsSize. For more information see Help and
    > Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp"
    >
    > If I click the link to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp, I get a
    > message saying There is no additional information about this issue in the
    > Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases"
    >
    > I googled for that error and found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444.
    >
    > The article is way over my head but it does mention the COM+ application
    > error that I'm getting. Please could some of the MVPs here look at this
    > article and let me know if it's relevant to my problem, and if so, in
    > layman's language, what I need to do to fix it?
    >
    > Do I need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch, or
    > is there a less drastic solution? What would the MVPs here do if they had
    > the problem I have?
    >
    > Dave

    1= Unable to Add a Web Folder to the My Network Places Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269681

    You cannot connect to a Web folder from a Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP
    x64 machine
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888123

    Error message when you try to open or to create a Web folder in FrontPage
    2000 or in FrontPage 2002
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287399
    Troubleshooting Web Folders:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287402/

    Software Update for Web Folders (KB907306
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...12-632e-4c04-9382-987622ed1d64&displaylang=en

    2= Availability of Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 9
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/89520
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/5b4b9872a8c5052f/87d89f6c3174d566?q=IIS+doesn't+display+ASP+pages,+COM%2B+damaged&rnum=1&hl=en
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1716469&SiteID=1

    Look in the Device manager for malfunctioning devices, test your RAM, Test
    HDD by downloading the Manufacturer HDD diagnostic tool from their website.
    HTH.
    nass
    ------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

    Guest, Jul 28, 2007

  3. Dave Logan

    Dave Logan Guest

    Hi Nass, thanks for the links. Comments inline.

    "nass" <> wrote in message

    | 1= Unable to Add a Web Folder to the My Network Places Folder
    | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269681

    I can add any web folder *other than* http://localhost (or subwebs of
    localhost), so I'm not sure that this kb article is relevant to my problem?
    It seems to me to be saying that it relates to a problem where one can't add
    *any* web folders to the My Network Places Folder? Also, it says it applies
    to Windows 2000 but doesn't mention XP; and if I understand it correctly, it
    also says that a symptom of the problem it is talking about is that
    "Userprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Msdaipp folder can't be created,
    whereas I do have a folder of that name in that path (although it is empty).
    Also, I am not aware of having any system policies and in any case, I get
    the problem when logged in as Administrator, when surely system policies
    wouldn't be relevant?

    | You cannot connect to a Web folder from a Windows Server 2003 or Windows
    | XP x64 machine
    | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888123

    I don't have either of those operating systems and in any case, Internet
    Explorer *can* connect to http://localhost (as well as to all remote web
    sites) - my problem is just that I can't add http://localhost to My Network
    Places, or open http://localhost or its subwebs from within FrontPage.
    (although I *can* open c:\inetpub/wwwroot\ and its subwebs as webs from
    within FrontPage).

    | Error message when you try to open or to create a Web folder in FrontPage
    | 2000 or in FrontPage 2002
    | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287399

    That article asks me a lot of questions but I can't see any solutions in it?

    | Troubleshooting Web Folders:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287402/

    Step 1: It says not to perform this step if I'm running Windows XP, unless
    I'm misunderstanding it?

    Step 2: I've re-registered the three dlls it mentions, but it made no
    difference.

    Step 3: I deleted the registry key it mentioned, and I then ran Detect and
    Repair from within FrontPage. Then I restarted my computer and tried to add
    http://localhost to My Network Places, but got the same error message as
    before.

    Step 4: I ran the MDAC Component Checker which said I have MDAC version 2.8
    SP1 (which appears to be the latest version). I then ran the MDAC
    installation program, MDAC_TYP.exe (from http://tinyurl.com/2krsts), which
    it said was the install program for MDAC 2.8 SP1, and I got a message: "This
    setup does not support installing on this operating system", which is rather
    confusing! Any ideas?

    Step 5: The MSDAIPP did exist and not was marked as readonly. The article
    also says in this step to check that the "C:\Windows\Nethood" folder is not
    readonly but I didn't have a folder of that name so I created one, although
    the kb article doesn't actually say what to do if "C:\Windows\Nethood"
    doesn't exist.

    Step 6: I ran webfldrs.msi, selected "Reinstall" and restarted my computer.
    Then I went to My Network Places and tried to add http://localhost, but got
    the same error message as before.

    Steps 7 - 10: These steps describe symptoms I don't have, so didn't seem to
    be relevant.

    Step 11: Didn't seem relevant to Windows XP Pro.

    Step 12: I already do have the FP Server Extensions installed, and kb295596,
    which it links to, mentions Windows 98 and not XP.

    Step 13: I don't have any proxy settings in IE and in any case I *can*
    connect
    to http://localhost from within IE.

    Step 14: I don't understand this one and am not sure it's relevant.

    Step 15: I'm already using Office 2000 SR1. I don't know what it means by
    "Office Server Extensions SR1.1"

    | Software Update for Web Folders (KB907306)

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...12-632e-4c04-9382-987622ed1d64&displaylang=en

    I installed the update but it didn't fix the problem; and in any case, the
    symptoms the article describes are not my symptoms..

    | 2= Availability of Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 9
    | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895200

    I already seem to have more recent file date and times than the files it
    installs (e.g. Catsrv.dll on my system is dated 26-July-2005 wherease the
    hotfix installs a version of that file dated 09-Mar-2005; ; and the symptoms
    the article describes are not my symptoms..

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/5b4b9872a8c5052f/87d89f6c3174d566?q=IIS+doesn't+display+ASP+pages,+COM%2B+damaged&rnum=1&hl=en|
    | http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1716469&SiteID=1

    I've reinstalled COM+ as described in kb315296 but still get the problem.
    Also, I'm a bit worried because at one point the article says I should
    reinstall MS04-012, but on the download page it says it's only available for
    SP1 and not for SP2, so I'm not sure if I'm vulnerable now?

    | Look in the Device manager for malfunctioning devices, test your RAM, Test
    | HDD by downloading the Manufacturer HDD diagnostic tool from their
    website.

    No hardware problems.

    This is weird! Is it time to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows?

    Dave

    Dave Logan, Jul 30, 2007
  4. Dave Logan

    Ron Hinds Guest

    Maybe Windows Firewall is blocking you. Try turning it off and see if you
    can create one then.

    Ron Hinds, Jul 31, 2007
  5. Dave Logan

    Dave Logan Guest

    Hi Ron
    "Ron Hinds" <> wrote in message
    | Maybe Windows Firewall is blocking you. Try turning it off and see if you
    | can create one then.

    That didn't work, but thanks for the suggestion.

    Dave

    Dave Logan, Jul 31, 2007
  6. Dave Logan

    Guest Guest

    "Dave Logan" wrote:

> [...]
    > the article describes are not my symptoms..
    >

    > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/5b4b9872a8c5052f/87d89f6c3174d566?q=IIS+doesn't+display+ASP+pages,+COM%2B+damaged&rnum=1&hl=en|
    > | http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1716469&SiteID=1
    >
    > I've reinstalled COM+ as described in kb315296 but still get the problem.
    > Also, I'm a bit worried because at one point the article says I should
    > reinstall MS04-012, but on the download page it says it's only available for
    > SP1 and not for SP2, so I'm not sure if I'm vulnerable now?
    >

    > | Look in the Device manager for malfunctioning devices, test your RAM, Test
    > | HDD by downloading the Manufacturer HDD diagnostic tool from their
    > website.
    >
    > No hardware problems.
    >
    > This is weird! Is it time to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows?

    Hi Dave,
    http://groups.google.fr/group/micro...read/thread/ed373cfe01b3c5b7/793769ce6da588ae

    Providing Security for Web Applications and Infrastructure
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itshowcase/content/securitywebapps.mspx

    BUG: DTC Remote Coordinator Fails After DTC Is Configured for an Invalid
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246679

    http://blogs.iis.net/forums/rss.aspx?ForumID=1029&PostID=1659760
    I get this error when i open my ASP.NET web app
    http://servertalk.in/post-40658.html

    Or send your Q as a last resource and then you can think about Clean install
    of the OS:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905422.aspx
    Please if you will send to the FP NG include your FP version, Protection
    software, OS version, the exact error message and what you tried and if any
    thing been added recently like Hardware or software also Updates from either
    MS or Third-party.
    Good luck.
    Regards,
    nass
    -------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

    Guest, Jul 31, 2007
  7. Dave Logan

    Dave Logan Guest

    Hi nass

    I contacted Microsoft support and eventually they came up with the following
    fix, which worked. There is no kb article on the subject.

    The solution was to remove and reinstall the settings for MS DTC (Microsoft
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator) and re-registering COM components for
    IIS, as follows:

    1. Open the command prompt
    2. Uninstall msdtc using the following command; "msdtc.exe -uninstall"
    3. Open the registry editor using regedit.exe
    4. browse to and delete the following registry string;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC
    5. Reinstall msdtc using the following command "msdtc.exe -install"
    6. Reregister the IIS COM components using the following command;
    "%Windir%\System32\inetsrv\rundll32 wamreg.dll, CreateIISPackage"

    Dave

    "nass" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    | > Then I went to My Network Places and tried to add http://localhost, but
    got
    | > the same error message as before.
    | >
    | > Steps 7 - 10: These steps describe symptoms I don't have, so didn't seem
    | > be relevant.
    | >
    | > Step 11: Didn't seem relevant to Windows XP Pro.
    | >
    | > Step 12: I already do have the FP Server Extensions installed, and
    kb295596,
    | > which it links to, mentions Windows 98 and not XP.
    | >
    | > Step 13: I don't have any proxy settings in IE and in any case I *can*
    | > connect
    | > to http://localhost from within IE.
    | >
    | > Step 14: I don't understand this one and am not sure it's relevant.
    | >
    | > Step 15: I'm already using Office 2000 SR1. I don't know what it means
    by
    | > "Office Server Extensions SR1.1"
    | >

    | > | Software Update for Web Folders (KB907306)
    | > |

    Dave Logan, Aug 10, 2007
  8. Dave Logan

    Guest Guest

    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for you feedback, much appreciated and I'm glad you got it sorted.
    Good luck.
    nass

    Guest, Aug 11, 2007