    Vista does not show the disk when I click on "Safely remove hardware".
    Using Device Manager I tried to set the disk policy to "Optimize for quick
    removal" but this option is disabled.

    Peter Meinl, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Peter Meinl

    Will Guest

    "Peter Meinl" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a eSATA disk connected to a VIA VT6421 Controller (Driver Date
    > 8.11.2006).
    > Vista does not show the disk when I click on "Safely remove hardware".
    > Using Device Manager I tried to set the disk policy to "Optimize for
    > quick
    > removal" but this option is disabled.

    as far as I know esata is not treated as removable media and just shows as
    another harddrive ( and thats the idea of esata )

    I have a hard drive connected via esata and just turn the switch off ( on
    the external enclosure )

    Will, Jan 30, 2007

  3. According to this web page:

    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=36&CatID=2920&SubCatID=117

    There's a newer driver that specifically supports Vista (double-check
    everything since this is just my best shot). I had a similar problem with
    my eSATA drive in an Icy Dock external enclosure. Even though I didn't show
    any problems in Device Manager, I wasn't getting a Safely Remove Hardware
    prompt from Vista Ultimate. I had to Update the driver from Device Manager
    using a new, Vista specific driver to get that capability. Also, make sure
    the drive is set up as non-RAID in the BIOS and that you don't install the
    RAID driver (again, I'm assuming this is a non-RAID setup -- I don't know
    what VIA calls there's, but it should be something besides RAID (I think)).

    David A. Lessnau, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Peter Meinl

    Peter Meinl Guest

    I am already using the new driver mentioned.
    Could it be that the controller has to support hot-swap, which maybe the VIA
    controller does not?

    "David A. Lessnau" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Peter Meinl, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Peter Meinl

    Uwe Sieber Guest

    Peter Meinl wrote:
    > I have a eSATA disk connected to a VIA VT6421 Controller (Driver Date
    > 8.11.2006).
    > Vista does not show the disk when I click on "Safely remove hardware".
    > Using Device Manager I tried to set the disk policy to "Optimize for quick
    > removal" but this option is disabled.

    If a drive appears in the 'Savely remove hardware' list is
    controlled by some bits in the device descriptor which the
    driver provides.

    The 'Savely remove hardware' facility reads the bits from
    the registry, so they can be temporarely modified until next
    restart. This is true at least for XP.
    Have a look at this thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...p.hardware/browse_frm/thread/88af269e39119f5b

    My commandline tool RemoveDrive should be able to do the removal
    job:
    http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/removedrive.zip

    If the drive isn't detected on replug, then you can try a
    devcon rescan
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

    Greetings from Germany

    Uwe

    Uwe Sieber, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Peter Meinl

    MICHAEL Guest

    >I have a eSATA disk connected to a VIA VT6421 Controller (Driver Date
    > 8.11.2006).
    > Vista does not show the disk when I click on "Safely remove hardware".
    > Using Device Manager I tried to set the disk policy to "Optimize for quick
    > removal" but this option is disabled.

    Maybe?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528
    Release Date: January 30, 2007

    This article discusses an update that resolves a variety of issues that occur with specific USB
    hardware devices and controllers in Windows Vista.

    MICHAEL, Jan 31, 2007
  7. Peter Meinl

    Peter Meinl Guest

    Solution

    It was a controller/driver problem:
    After replacing the VIA PCI controller with a Delock PCI-Express controller
    (20 Euro, JMicron JMB360 chipset) and installing the newest Vista driver
    from JMicron the eSATA drive shows up in "Safely remove hardware" and the
    disk policy is set to "optimize for performance".

    With the standard MS Vista driver "safely remove" was not offerd.

    There is still something strange:
    "Enable wirte caching" and "Enable advanced performance" under "Disk
    Policies" are selectable but device manager seems not to accept them to be
    checked (does not remember them checked).
    However: Vista Explorer reports 65-70 MB/Sec writing to a ST350083 disk,
    which seems to be OK to me.

    Peter Meinl, Feb 3, 2007
  8. Peter Meinl

    MICHAEL Guest

    Re: Solution

    > "Enable wirte caching" and "Enable advanced performance" under "Disk Policies" are selectable
    > but device manager seems not to accept them to be checked (does not remember them checked).

    I get the same on two of my external USB drives.

    They seem to work fine.

    -Michael

    MICHAEL, Feb 3, 2007
  9. Peter Meinl

    Ron Miller Guest

    Re: Solution

    Peter Meinl wrote:
    > It was a controller/driver problem:
    > After replacing the VIA PCI controller with a Delock PCI-Express
    > controller (20 Euro, JMicron JMB360 chipset) and installing the newest
    > Vista driver from JMicron the eSATA drive shows up in "Safely remove
    > hardware" and the disk policy is set to "optimize for performance".
    >
    > With the standard MS Vista driver "safely remove" was not offerd.
    >
    > There is still something strange:
    > "Enable wirte caching" and "Enable advanced performance" under "Disk
    > Policies" are selectable but device manager seems not to accept them to
    > be checked (does not remember them checked).
    > However: Vista Explorer reports 65-70 MB/Sec writing to a ST350083 disk,
    > which seems to be OK to me.

    Where does Vista report HD read and write rates?

    Ron Miller, Feb 4, 2007
  10. Peter Meinl

    Peter Meinl Guest

    Re: Solution

    Click "Details" on Vista Explorers copy progress dialog.

    Peter Meinl, Feb 4, 2007