    I, therefore, seem to have no way of removing this item
    from my outbox. Any ideas?

    I'm using Outlook 2003.

    Jeffrey Gerber, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Jeffrey Gerber

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    Place Outlook Offline by File-> Work Offline and restart Outlook and see if
    you can delete it now.
    If not see;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm

    --
    Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    www.howto-outlook.com

    Tips of the month:
    -Creating Signatures

    -----

    Roady [MVP], Jun 10, 2004

  3. Neither suggestion worked. If I try to delete the outbox
    message, nothing happens. And I cannot delete the Outbox
    folder (the "Delete Outbox" item is greyed out on the
    right-click menu). I'd really prefer not to have to
    recreate my folders, copy old messages over... So, is
    there any way to let Outlook allow me to delete the Outbox
    folder?

    Jeffrey Gerber, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Read what Roady's site suggested again.
    It will work.
    Just create a temporary profile including this PST file and no transports.
    Then you can delete the item from your Outbox.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jun 11, 2004
  5. Jeffrey Gerber

    Guest Guest

    I have tried several times and have followed all the
    suggestions posted on the web site. The fact remains that
    the "Delete" item on the stuck outbox messages does
    nothing. No errors, it just doesn't do anything.

    However, maybe I'm not seeing what you're talking about. I
    see nothing about creating a temporary profile -- just
    creating a new PST within my existing profile and making
    the new one the primary one to RECEIVE.

    Guest, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Try it. It works.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jun 14, 2004
  7. Sorry, I have tried it. Exactly as shown. And it does NOT
    work for me. Really, honestly, and truely. I created a
    new PST. I made it my default for incoming messages. I
    restarted Outlook. I go to the stuck outbox message. I
    right click. I select "Delete." Nothing happens. I right
    click on the Outbox folder. "Delete Folder" is greyed out.

    How is what I did any different than what's on the
    referenced web page?

    Thanks for your help, but it appears that the web page I'm
    seeing and what you think it says (e.g., it does NOT talk
    about creating a new profile) are not the same.

    Jeffrey Gerber, Jun 14, 2004
  8. I'm not talking about that Web page. I'm talking about the numerous KB
    articles that exist on this topic, some of which are referenced on that web
    page.
    What I am telling you to try is to create a new profile (not a new PST).
    Place THIS PST in that profile, but no transports. You will then be able to
    delete the stuck message.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jun 14, 2004
  9. Here's the most comprehensive list of ways to fix your problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195922&Product=out

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jun 14, 2004
  10. Jeffrey Gerber

    anonkate

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    solved it in 2 clicks

    I had an 8MB message stuck in m Outbox for days.

    Go to Send/Received status at the bottom right of the Outlook 2007 screen.

    Click on Cancel sending.

    And message instantly disappears from Outbox!

    anonkate, Apr 17, 2009
  11. Jeffrey Gerber

    AlaskanPrincess

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Roady - nailed it!

    Thank you!
    I know this was originally an older post but still very much valid question - and solution.
    The option to simply put Outlook in offline mode, delete message, then go back online worked. Quick. Easy. I spent more time searching for solution than employing the solution took.' A good thing, of course.
    This isn't the first time I've expererienced a glitch and found solution thru PC Review Forum. I really appreciate the existence of this site, and the time and efforts of contributors.
    The last response, though, was off the mark. The question related to Outlook 2003 (not 2007) and 2003 doesn't have option you suggested. (For what it's worth, effort at 'cancelling' send and receive, in 2003, had no impact on this problem: The problem message stayed hung up in the outbox.)

    AlaskanPrincess, May 6, 2009