Unable to open attachments

Reaction score
I am using Win XP Pro
AVG Free
Microsoft Defender
ADSL Router
If I send to myself or anybody else an email with an attachment of a photograph we can not open the attachment.
Can anybody help please?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi wbishop,
I had the same problem a few months ago and Muckshifter's advice did the trick for me. It was:-

Microsoft did, some time ago, tighten up how an "attachment" in an email may be opened ... they simply closed the door on them.

Check under the Tools / Options menu, and click on the Security tab. There is a check box that reads
Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. Uncheck that box and try to re-open the message. You should be able to view the attachment

It might be worth a try.

Best of luck.

Reaction score
Hi Nivrip there was no tick in the box you sujested, but thank you for trying to help me.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
when you open an email is there not a line of text in the gray area just above the message window that says something like "click here to download pictures"?

I'm fairly certain it has something to do with your security settings as I had my significant others computer locked down to where she couldn't open stuff at will.

Depending on operating system, anti virus, and browser the settings could differ but I'd carefully look around in the preferences of all of them.

Reaction score
Hi Spezi thank you for trying to help me.
If I send myself an email with an attachment of a photograph and I then click on the attachment, a box comes up asking if I want to open the file, I click open and another box comes up saying:-
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

This is like talking to me in a foreign language as I do not know what it means.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
w.bishop said:
Hi Spezi thank you for trying to help me.
If I send myself an email with an attachment of a photograph and I then click on the attachment, a box comes up asking if I want to open the file, I click open and another box comes up saying:-
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

This is like talking to me in a foreign language as I do not know what it means.

Try going to one of those emails with an attachment then rather than trying to open the attachment by clicking on the paper clip right click the paper clip instead and choose "save attachment".

Save it to your desktop then go to your desktop and right click the file.

Now one of your options should be "open with" and when you click on that you will get a few choices of what to use and you should choose the "windows picture and fax viewer".

That should at least associate you with the right program and may well do the trick.

Reaction score
Spezi, thanks for that, it works great for a one off, but I would still like it to work as it used to all the time, so I still need more sujestions.

Ask a Question