Unable to Hibernate "Power Policy Manager unable to reserve hibern

G

I am unable to enable the hibernate fetaure!
Every time I try so, thorugh the Powermanagment Control Panle, Windows
returns the following Messag:
"Power Policy Manager unable to reserve hibernate"
"The Process cannont access the file because it is being used by another
process"

It is a Windows XP Professional installed on an IBM ThinkPad G40 Notebook.

R

Ramesh [MVP]

Hi Khaled,

Here is some insight from Darrell Gorter [MS] regarding this error message:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=zV0IA7EhCHA.548@cpmsftngxa09

Well, that may be just an example. The core cause would be a kernel mode component, driver/service which is causing this.

Here is another case:

Alcohol Soft discussion and support forums:
http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?s=f91f8bb9533b6f47390fbda24076af69&showtopic=14749

If this error is seen as of recent, try a System Restore rollback.

Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

If nothing helps, you may need to verify the third-party services/drivers loaded from this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

NOTE: If you are not confident about the last step, have a qualified tech deal with that step. Modifying the "Services" incorrectly may cause severe problems.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

I am unable to enable the hibernate fetaure!
Every time I try so, thorugh the Powermanagment Control Panle, Windows
returns the following Messag:
"Power Policy Manager unable to reserve hibernate"
"The Process cannont access the file because it is being used by another
process"

It is a Windows XP Professional installed on an IBM ThinkPad G40 Notebook.

Reaction score
Just in case you never found the answer to this, I recently ran into the same problem, and in my case it was being caused by Alcohol 120%, which must be completely uninstalled before hibernation can be activated. After activation, Alcohol can be reinstalled.

Just in case Alcohol does not fully uninstall, and the problem persists, the following, which was written for Daemon-Tools but also applies to Alcohol, will fix it.

1. Open device manager (SCSI/RAID Controllers section) and delete SCSI controller with name corresponding with name of Daemon driver
(miniport driver name). If you have problems doing it (e.g. system crashes) then start from step 3 (skip steps 1 and 2).

2. Open device manager (System devices section) and delete device with driver corresponding with Daemon driver (bus driver name). In current versions of Daemon Tools it is 'PnP BIOS Extension' but most likely it may change in next versions. Again, if you have some problems doing it, skip this step

3. Find Daemon driver files in Windows\System32\Drivers folder
(in Win95/98/ME also check Windows\System\IOSUBSYS folder).
Make sure your system is configured to display system files (ControlPanel->Tools->FolderOptions->View) in order you can see them. Delete Daemon driver files.
default v3.46 driver file names are d346bus.sys and d346prt.sys
default v3.47 driver file names are d347bus.sys and d347prt.sys

4. In WinNT/2000/XP/2003 open registry editor and check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic
es for entries with same names as Daemon driver files. Delete these keys.

5. Reboot your system. If you executed steps 1 and 2 then you don't need to do anything anymore. Otherwise proceed to next step.

6. Go to device manager - you may see some device with yellow mark.
This is most likely Daemon device which cannot start because it's drivers are deleted. Delete this device from Device Manager.

The same procedure may be used also for complete removal of Alcohol drivers from system.

Ask a Question