Unable to delete U3 ReadyBoost

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have a 4 GB SanDisk Cruzer U3, which I initially intended to use as for ReadyBoost on Vista. However, I didn't find that it made much of a difference, so today I thought I'd download a thumbdrive version of Ubuntu and use the drive for that instead.

Hmm... that's where I ran into a slight problem. Too much space on the drive is being taken-up by ReadyBoost.sfcache - 3.69 GB to be exact. When I tried to delete it, I got a message telling me "You need permission to perform this action."

Does anyone know how I might get around this one please? Truth to tell, I've not used the U3 very much, unlike my ordinary, but smaller-capacity USB drive (which can be easily re-formatted etc.)

Thank you for any advice, :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be allowing me to do anything :wall: ... it seems to think that it's in control (either that, or I've been watching too much Dr Who) Seriously though, I've even tried using the "uninstall" which is built in... and still it won't allow it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Did you turn off RB first ... ;)

:D

Attachments

• readyb.JPG
    readyb.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 208

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Gnaws the carpet and drums heels :lol: grrr... did I heck! :wall: What a dummy. Perhaps it was a good thing that I didn't though, because when I was mooching around earlier, I read an article which suggested that U3 would probably not work in that ancient wee door-stopper anyway :rolleyes: (The original idea being to load the flash-drive version of Linux on it, to use on the aforementioned ancient laptop: re Ian's thread https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3510602.php)

Might be a better idea to get an "ordinary" USB stick, perhaps.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Me, I would just use the HD that came with the door-stop ... you ain't using it, are you? ;)

:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
No, not using it for anything at all. It is currently loaded with Win ME circa Feb 2001. It's got puny specs, about 20 Gb HD and 125 DRAM - Urmas suggested in another thread that it might not be quite enough.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Urmas is probably correct ...

I had a three very old PC MB/CPUs 128Mb ram I tried to get Linux to install, any Linux for that matter ... got WinME on no bother ... Windows 1, Linux 0

Fortunately, never could get 'em to do anything else, not even run WCG 'cos they want a modern PC to, so, I scrapped them.

You may be floggin a dead horse. ;)

user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, I've begun to wonder that, to be honest - the dead horse flogging, I mean. I had just hoped to be able to "play" with something that could be considered "unbreakable" (nothing important to lose.) :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have only got as far as checking the large battery so far - it hasn't leaked or anything, so that's good. If I were to pull it out permanently though, it would leave quite a long, unprotected opening, which probably wouldn't be good (thinking of dust, etc.)

Anyhoo... depending upon what I find regarding the Cmos battery i.e., whether or not it is the coin shaped one, (hoping) or a wee wired barrel jobbie (spitting) I think I might still be able to "play" with Linux on there, despite the very low spec of the machine, using the DSL distro.

I expect many of you will already know of this one, but looking around, I've found "Damn Small Linux" which, as its name suggests, only takes up a very small amount of space, namely about 50 Mb. It can also be loaded onto a USB drive, a disk, or the HD, so that looks quite promising. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hey Abarbarian, you're back :wave: Did you have a good time?

Thank you for all the links - I've sort-of got two threads going on this: https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3513019.php (I was asking about two different things originally) I had already spotted the "Damn Small" version, which, at only 50 Mb should fit. However, I shall read through the others too, so have bookmarked them all to look at later.

I still need to look at that Cmos battery first, haven't had time yet.

Thanks again :thumb: hee hee, this looks like it could be fun :D

Ask a Question