    --
    JP Bourget, MCSE
    Arnold Magnetic Technologies

    Guest, Jul 9, 2007

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Take ownership of the file and delete it in Safe Mode

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Jul 10, 2007

    The problem is, the folder is permanently offline, and even when I go into
    safe-mode, windows still thinks it's offline, and won't let me modify it.

    Since it's offline, I also can't modify the permissions of it.

    Guest, Jul 10, 2007

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Did you take ownership of this file ????

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Jul 12, 2007

    No. Since I can't get to the security tab of the folder, which is required to
    take ownership, I am unable to.

    In safe more, normal boot mode, or any other state.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2007
  6. Hi JP,

    Based on my research and experiences, it seems something wrong with the CSC
    cache so we can add the following registry subkey to reinitialize the CSC
    cache:

    1. Click Start and enter regedit in the start search to open Registry
    Editor.
    2. Expand to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache
    3. Add a new key:
    Key Name: FormatDatabase
    Key Type: DWORD
    Key Value: 1
    Note The actual value of the registry key is ignored. This registry change
    requires a restart. When the computer is restarting, the shell will
    reinitialize the CSC cache and then delete the registry key if the registry
    entry exists.

    4. Restart the computer then the CSC cache is rebuilt. Test the same issue
    again.

    I will test this issue on my side and if there is any update, I will let
    you know as soon as possible.

    Regards,

    Helen Li

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------

    Helen Li [MSFT], Jul 30, 2007
  7. Hi JP,

    I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
    or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
    know. I am glad to be of assistance.

    Helen Li [MSFT], Aug 2, 2007
  8. Hi JP,

    I have not received any responses from you lately, and I am just wondering
    if you require further assistance or if the issue has been resolved. Please
    let me know if there is anything that I can do for you on it. I look
    forward to hearing from you soon.

    Helen Li [MSFT], Aug 6, 2007

    It seems you never got your answer from the originator. I am having the same
    problem. I was unable to get your proposed solution to work. I am also
    surprised that searching all posts there is no more conversation about this
    error. For what it's worth, I'm running Vista 32. The whole Video folder is
    tied to Sync that only creates errors.

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007
  10. Hello Customer,

    I am sorry to hear that the suggestion I provided cannot resolve the issue
    on your side.

    The problem JP described is that there is a 0x800710FE error when deleting
    a file in CSC cache then he receives a sync error. For we are not sure if
    the sync error you received is same as his or not, you may submit a new
    post and there will be a Windows Vista support engineer to help on the
    specific issue of your side.

    Helen Li [MSFT], Aug 8, 2007

    Technoman2k Guest

    Can't delete files or folders in Vista

    After unistalling some software I proceed to make sure the folder and files are actually gone. In many cases they are not, when I go to del them I get the message I don't have permission. After reading pages and pages of things to try to no avail I decided to pull out my magic disk. What you need is a bootable CD with a virtual OS that can read NTFS drives. I believe linux has one also. I used my old ERD commander 2005 disk. Booted up and opened explorer and blasted the files and folders into never never land. Took 5min.

    technoman2k

    Technoman2k, Apr 9, 2008

    Dean Truax Guest

    Many thanks

    Helen,

    Had this problem on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine, and rather than just go about my merry way, figured I'd take 2 minutes to thank you for the fix. It worked beautifully.

    Odd symptom before I ran your registry fix: going to the IP address of the UNC in question worked fine, just kind of a bad precedent to set. ;)

    Thank you and take care,

    Dean

    Dean Truax, Sep 1, 2010

    Hi Helen Li,

    I'm having the same problem. My computer is synchronized with the hardrive where my files are storaged, with files being available offline. I have a folder where I was receiving files through skype which did not completely download. I have several part files that I can't delete and get the same message

    "Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this
    computer."

    I tried modifying the CSC cache as you indicated with the following parameters:
    Key name: FormatDatabase
    Key Type: REG_DWORD
    Key Value: 1
    Base: (tried bot Hexadecimal and decimal)

    But it didn't work.

    My system is "Window 7 professional 32 bits Service Pack 1". Perhaps it needs a different solution?

    Thanks a lot!

    On Monday, July 30, 2007 7:58:14 AM UTC+1, "Helen Li [MSFT]" wrote:
    > Hi JP,
    >
    > Based on my research and experiences, it seems something wrong with the CSC
    > cache so we can add the following registry subkey to reinitialize the CSC
    > cache:
    >
    > 1. Click Start and enter regedit in the start search to open Registry
    > Editor.
    > 2. Expand to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache
    > 3. Add a new key:
    > Key Name: FormatDatabase
    > Key Type: DWORD
    > Key Value: 1
    > Note The actual value of the registry key is ignored. This registry change
    > requires a restart. When the computer is restarting, the shell will
    > reinitialize the CSC cache and then delete the registry key if the registry
    > entry exists.
    >
    > 4. Restart the computer then the CSC cache is rebuilt. Test the same issue
    > again.
    >
    > I will test this issue on my side and if there is any update, I will let
    > you know as soon as possible.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Helen Li
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >

    > --------------------
    > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SlAgQg==?= <>
    > | Subject: Re: Unable to delete folder (0x800710FE
    > | Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:36:00 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
    > |
    > | No. Since I can't get to the security tab of the folder, which is
    > required to
    > | take ownership, I am unable to.
    > |
    > | In safe more, normal boot mode, or any other state.
    > | --
    > | JP Bourget, MCSE
    > | Arnold Magnetic Technologies
    > |

    > | "Peter Foldes" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Did you take ownership of this file ????
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Peter
    > | >
    > | > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    > | > Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged..
    > | >
    > | > "JP B" <> wrote in message
    > into
    > it.

    > acknowledged.

    > docs folder

    > folder I get
    > this

    > delete it

    > folder?

    , Sep 4, 2013

    The location of this registry setting seems to have changed for Vista and above:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942974

    Best of luck, this worked for me.

    Oliver

    On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 06:15:42 UTC-4, wrote:
> [...]

    > > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

    > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

    > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    > > --------------------

    > > | thread-index: AcfEgTPxfhYGa+D/SwiHWA8Rm1Z+0Q==

    > > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SlAgQg==?= <>

    > > <#$>

    > > <>

    > > <>

    > > | Subject: Re: Unable to delete folder (0x800710FE

    > > | Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:36:00 -0700

    > > | charset="Utf-8"

    > > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management

    > > microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management:4654

    > > | No. Since I can't get to the security tab of the folder, which is

    > > required to

    > > | take ownership, I am unable to.

    > > | In safe more, normal boot mode, or any other state.

    , Mar 26, 2014

    Jhon Stone Guest

    On Monday, July 9, 2007 3:10:02 PM UTC-4, JP B wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to delete a folder that I "cut and pasted" from a my docs folder
    > (redirected) to another location.
    >
    > I proceeded to get a sync error and when I try to delete this folder I get
    > Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this
    > computer.
    >
    > The file is causing problems with another application. I need to delete it
    > but can't
    >
    > Is their anyway to rebuild my cache or do something to remove this folder?
    >
    > --
    > JP Bourget, MCSE
    > Arnold Magnetic Technologies

    wow, problem solved, after much pain anguish. solved. thank you Helen Li

    Jhon Stone, Apr 8, 2014

    On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:15:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:

    Hello,

    I had the same problem. but it wasnt a folder issue, it was a .gif file that would provide the error when trying to delete it. Now I tried Helens solution and it did not work for me. Instead, we found that we had to unintall and reinstall the network adapter. My Admin did it, it tried to keep notes but thats all I can say.

    Not sure if it was the attempt to run Helens fix, but all internet connections was lost. The diagnosis said it was the driver, so thats how he knew what to do.

> [...]

    > > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

    > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

    > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    > > --------------------

    > > | thread-index: AcfEgTPxfhYGa+D/SwiHWA8Rm1Z+0Q==

    > > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SlAgQg==?= <>

    > > <#$>

    > > <>

    > > <>

    > > | Subject: Re: Unable to delete folder (0x800710FE

    > > | Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:36:00 -0700

    > > | charset="Utf-8"

    > > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management

    > > microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management:4654

    > > | No. Since I can't get to the security tab of the folder, which is

    > > required to

    > > | take ownership, I am unable to.

    > > | In safe more, normal boot mode, or any other state.

    , May 14, 2014

    Helen Li,

    I tried what you wrote about changing the system registry. I added the keynamed FormatDatabase with a key type of DWORD and value of 1 in the registry location you mentioned. I rebooted my computer. This did not solve my problem.

    My problem is that I have a pdf file that I can't delete in the My Scans folder of my Documents. I am running Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1,64-bit. I have administrator rights for my computer. The file propertiesdo not show the security information. Under the Details tab of the file properties, the offline status is offline. The file is located on our server, in a network folder that is My Documents.

    I am not an IT professional, so my understanding of network computing is limited. Can you help me?

    Mark Brockman

    , Oct 3, 2014

    A super GEEK Guest

    Re: Unable to delete folder : Error 0x800710FE

    Hello evryone,

    I had the same problem.
    I was running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Service Pack 1 with "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M 2.20 GHz" processor.
    i got this message while triyng to delete a word document:

    Error 0x800710FE: This file is not currently not available on this computer.

    I was using a network to use my account anywhere in the world.
    and it just suddenly popped up when I was cleaning up my Docs folder (with over 1000 files in it).
    It was only doing this message on this one file.
    and this is what I found:

    this error was provoked by a HUMAN modify, stopping this file do be deleted and sometimes modified.(yes, I might be talking about hack...)
    So, this is what worked for me:

    1.a.On the start tab (bottom left)search "File Options"
    b.Go to Offline Files
    c.Press Ctrl+Shift
    d.Click "Delete Files"
    e.Click "yes" two times and computer will restart

    If that doesen't work try this:

    2.a.In the start tab search "reg"
    b.Type these commands:

    REG.EXE.REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache" /v FormatDatabase /t

    Then type

    REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

    If that still doesen't work, download Fix-it microsoft program here:

    adf.ly/sgSkt

    (wait five seconds an click "SKIP AD" top right)

    Hoped I helped,
    Giorgio

    A super GEEK, Oct 7, 2014

    On Tuesday, 7 October 2014 10:42:03 UTC+1, A super GEEK wrote:
    > Hello evryone,
    >
    > I had the same problem.
    > I was running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Service Pack 1 with "Intel(R)Core(TM) i3-2330M 2.20 GHz" processor.
    > i got this message while triyng to delete a word document:
    >
    > Error 0x800710FE: This file is not currently not available on this computer.
    >
    > I was using a network to use my account anywhere in the world.
    > and it just suddenly popped up when I was cleaning up my Docs folder (with over 1000 files in it).
    > It was only doing this message on this one file.
    > and this is what I found:
    >

    > this error was provoked by a HUMAN modify, stopping this file do be deleted and sometimes modified.(yes, I might be talking about hack...)
    > So, this is what worked for me:
    >
    > 1.a.On the start tab (bottom left)search "File Options"
    > b.Go to Offline Files
    > c.Press Ctrl+Shift
    > d.Click "Delete Files"
    > e.Click "yes" two times and computer will restart
    >
    > If that doesen't work try this:
    >
    > 2.a.In the start tab search "reg"
    > b.Type these commands:
    >
    > REG.EXE.REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache" /v FormatDatabase /t
    >
    > Then type
    >
    > REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    >
    > If that still doesen't work, download Fix-it microsoft program here:
    >
    > adf.ly/sgSkt
    >
    > (wait five seconds an click "SKIP AD" top right)
    >

    > Hoped I helped,
    > Giorgio

    For anyone still struggling with this issue i found I was able to deal with"locked by someone" files or indeed any dead file which seems cannot be opened at all... by right clicking on it and then "edit with notepad++" I made some random change to text and was able then to save the file again and thus released its lock. it could then be readily deleted in the usual way. not conventional approach I guess but it worked for me and removed an annoying sync issue. if anyone thinks this has a risk with it, let me know of course, but for me I appear to be off a running. cheers.

    , Jan 6, 2015