unable to create file hal.dll

Please note that when I try to boot straight from the hard drive I get the
"windows\system32\config\system" message but when I try to boot with a
floppy, I get the "hal.dll" message. Is the "HAL" problem causing the
"windows\system32\config\system" message?

I followed the instructions as noted below but the recovery console came
back with this message: "Unable to create file hal.dll 0 file<s> expanded".

What should I do now?

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web page:

"HAL - Hardware Abstraction Layer"
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Harold E. Schumacher, Jr." <Harold E. Schumacher,
news:[email protected]...

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi Harold,

By creating a boot floppy with those files, you are still relying on the
system files to load the machine. Since the registry and hal are already
corrupt, that ain't gonna work. You need to use the 6 floppy boot disk set
which is a stand-alone minimal version of the XP Recovery Console that will
work outside of the installed system.

Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot floppy

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Alex Nichol

Harold said:
Please note that when I try to boot straight from the hard drive I get the
"windows\system32\config\system" message but when I try to boot with a
floppy, I get the "hal.dll" message. Is the "HAL" problem causing the
"windows\system32\config\system" message?

The floppy boot is using a different boot.ini and its reference to where
Windows is is incorrect - Hal just happens to be the first file looked
for. The boot from the HD is going OK until it looks for the registry -
that file system is part of it - and it is damaged. Boot hitting F8 as
BIOS info goes to black, and try 'Last known good configuration'