ULS and switchoboard errors

Hi everyone,

I have a secured database where work group security is enabled. I Have a
switchboard generated by the wizzard controling the navigation. The user
permissions work, however, I'm getting errors like "There was an error
executing the command" when a user without necessary assigned permissions
tries to click on the switchboard command button for a form or report they do
not have rights to. Can I trap this error(does not display error number) and
repalce with my own message, or simply have nothing happen? I know this is
going to confuse users if left as is. Creating a manual switchoaboard at
this time is not an option . I've also tried is IsInGroup on the associated
form or reports onload evenet with out any luck. Any thoughts? Thanks in
advance.

Joan Wild

I'm not sure if Jeff Conrad covers this or not. Have a look at
http://home.bendbroadband.com/conradsystems/accessjunkie/switchboardfaq.htmlI don't use the switchboard manager, preferring to create my own. I find itmore flexible and easier to manage things like displaying only the buttonsthat the current user should see.If Jeff doesn't have it, you can open the switchboard form in design viewand study the code behind the form. Likely you would need to add a field tothe switchboard table that holds the group that can view that item. Thenyou'd need to modify the code behind the form to utilize this information.If you do make the changes, you won't be able to use the switchboard managerto make further changes; you'll need to manually make those yourself via thetable/form code.It's easier, I'd say, to just create your own form.--Joan WildMicrosoft Access MVP"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in messageHi everyone,>> I have a secured database where work group security is enabled. I Have a> switchboard generated by the wizzard controling the navigation. The user> permissions work, however, I'm getting errors like "There was an error> executing the command" when a user without necessary assigned permissions> tries to click on the switchboard command button for a form or report theydo> not have rights to. Can I trap this error(does not display error number)and> repalce with my own message, or simply have nothing happen? I know this is> going to confuse users if left as is. Creating a manual switchoaboard at> this time is not an option . I've also tried is IsInGroup on theassociated> form or reports onload evenet with out any luck. Any thoughts? Thanks in> advance.

Joan,

Thanks for the direction, I'll take a look. Unfortuantely for this go
around, I need to stick with what I have and hope to find a solution.. My
deadline is drawing near and I've got several hours of code invested behind
the scenes and in moduels tying in with the "stock" switchboard. Maybe in
future rev's I'll create my own. I'm finding out now that using the
switchboard mgr might have been a mistake for my app. Thanks again!
-dave

http://home.bendbroadband.com/conradsystems/accessjunkie/switchboardfaq.htmlI don't use the switchboard manager, preferring to create my own. I find itmore flexible and easier to manage things like displaying only the buttonsthat the current user should see.If Jeff doesn't have it, you can open the switchboard form in design viewand study the code behind the form. Likely you would need to add a field tothe switchboard table that holds the group that can view that item. Thenyou'd need to modify the code behind the form to utilize this information.If you do make the changes, you won't be able to use the switchboard managerto make further changes; you'll need to manually make those yourself via thetable/form code.It's easier, I'd say, to just create your own form.--Joan WildMicrosoft Access MVP"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Hi everyone,>> I have a secured database where work group security is
enabled. I Have a> switchboard generated by the wizzard controling the navigation. The user> permissions work, however, I'm getting errors like "There was an error> executing the command" when a user without necessary assigned permissions> tries to click on the switchboard command button for a form or report theydo> not have rights to. Can I trap this error(does not display error number)and> repalce with my own message, or simply have nothing happen? I know this is> going to confuse users if left as is. Creating a manual switchoaboard at> this time is not an option . I've also tried is IsInGroup on theassociated> form or reports onload evenet with out any luck. Any thoughts? Thanks in> advance.

Joan Wild

Can you explain what you mean by code invested in modules tying in with the
stock switchboard? You may be thinking it is more complex to change than it
is. On the other hand, if you've really made changes to the switchboard
code, you may not find it hard to implement a security scheme.

I'm thinking the former though. Your existing switchboard built on the
manager doesn't do anything that can't be done with your own form.