Ubuntu 7.10 or PCLinuxOS 2007?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK, I confess I'm bored and want to play with distros again.

I'm considering the latest Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) or PCLinuxOS 2007 - is anyone running either of these at the moment can give me their views - I think Spezi or Flops were using PCLinux at one time - anyone running the latest Ubuntu?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, I tried PCLinuxOS 2007 ... or should I say PCLOS, 'cos it was a dead loss ... tried it out on two PCs, never quite made the grade on either.

Ubuntu was not my cup of tea, don't like Gnome, had loads of trouble with Kbuntu (KDE) and gave that one a miss also.

Went back to Suse ... no bother, I know how to "fix" Suse. :D

YMMV ... ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have an installation of PC Linux OS 2007 atm and I like it a lot.

It loads with full office facilities and all codecs to play music files and DVD movies. Installed UT2004 no probs, it pretty much worked for me straight out of the box, so to speak.

Here's brief specs what it's running on, I'm using a series of swappable (internal caddy) PATA hard drives for different OS's, PCLOS2007 is running on an 80Gb drive.

Aopen MX46 motherboard circa 2003.
Celeron 1.7Ghz
1Gb PC3200 memory (DDR, 2 x 512Mb)
Nvidia AGP 6800 256Mb video card
350W PSU
Asus DVDRW
A Floppy drive
Netgear LAN Card
Creative Audigy 2 Soundcard

PCLOS2007 detected the lot and connected online straight away.

I tried the last distro of Ubuntu and didn't like it much, had a couple of problems as well, as I recall.

I do like Suse but it's very bloated and doesn't come loaded with Codecs. If you want to play music and DVD's you'll have to search the net for solutions. There are several guides out there though and it's straightforward enough, using YAST to make Suse Media friendly. Well at least I found it so. Last distro of Suse I tried was V10.1. Since then there have been 10.2 and 10.3.

I do like Suse though, despite it being huge and needing configuring, it looks gorgeous and if it's your thing then it's the closest to Windows that I've tried of all Linux Distros.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys - I think the best thing to do is load Ubuntu on one machine and PCLinux on another and try them both out for size :thumb:

May even put Suse 10.3 on another and try that too :)

Reaction score
Hmm... i tried both.. am contended with PC linux. You can try it still!

Ubuntu n Ubuntu ultimate both ve got Bugs!! n PC linux doesnt TAX the hardware like Ubuntu does... It really needs minimum of RAM, graphics, all that anyone can afford at cheaper costs too..

Added are the utilities...

It now has both Beryl and another Desktop manager i don remember because beryl is better!!!

Have fun!

Ask a Question