Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
well, if you beleive MSE is hindering the installation of updates, try replacing it with Bitdefender Free it is really good and unobtrusive.

I found no real problems, in my experience, of having to "reinstall" W7, except perhaps of the many time one has to reboot, then Windows Update finds something else that need 'updating', can seem to go on for ever, not withstanding the failed update attempts.

Just ignore them and carry on, it usually sorts itself out ... always click the 'check for updated link' in Windows Update.

HERE is a solution that should help. :)

Reaction score
:blush:Well I have just finished reinstalling W7 and all the updates and back on line and also crunching again :thumb:. I am going to have another go at dual booting Mint tomorrow, no thinking about the experience probably leave it to next week now and in the mean time do a bit of on line studying of the Mint distro so I will be better prepared. Once again for all the help, advice and support you guy's have given me.:bow:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ha I have just finished installing Windows 7, what a chore, took forever with all the updates and extra stuff you have to install. :lol:

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/linux-mint-201403-debian-review-typical.html

The above gives a good review of the Mint Debian versions using two different desktops. I like both desktops with a preference for the Cinnamon version.
One comment stood out in the comments section,

Linux Mint 16 has support for 9 months and hence, you have to replace it pretty soon. LMDE's support is unlimited and you need not to install it again. So, if you prefer a stable system then LMDE is better for you. However, if you are a distro hopper like me, LMDE may be a bit boring after sometime :).

The decision is up to you but both are brilliant distros. It's the short support of Linux Mint 16 that concerns me.
an this comment from another article,

I should have said I also run Mint 16 on dual booted laptop and netbook hard drives, but I find a Persistent Live USB is a fantastic way to test out all the intriguing tips, tricks, and various software suggestions for Mint BEFORE risking my hard drive installations. Users who want the performance of a hard drive install should still keep a Live USB around as a Guinea Pig for all those brilliant experiments that might not work.
If you have a spare 8 GB usb it may be helpful to make a Mint Live USB with persistence so you can play safely.
You can make the usb from the live cd as they have included tools to do so.

:thumb:

Oh an Mint Live CD has " gparted " which is one of the best tools for partitioning drives imho. It runs from the live cd which allows you to easily partition drives on the system you are using. You can only partition and format drives in linux when they are unmounted. Unmounting drives in Mint is easy.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Good luck
bang.png
shrug3.gif
help.gif
stretcher.gif
smashcomp.gif
tease.gif
Laughing.gif

Reaction score
:lol:Thanks Abarbarian , if I were you I would hide just in case I need your expertise:lol:. I am about to start the task of dual booting and installation of Mint

Last edited:
Reaction score
:lol:Great stuff I have installed Mint :thumb:all went well this time and no cock ups, so it is onward and upward:bow:. Thank you all for your encouragement and help, at least I can start using it now.:user:

Reaction score
Linux Mint16 Cinnamon 64bit. Duadl booted with W7 1 TB for windows and 860 gb for mint.

Ask a Question