Two PSUs at the same time, possible?

Reaction score
I'm building a new PC with an AMD64 3200+ on nForce4, 6600GT, 2x512 MB RAM, possibly two HDDs and certainly two ODDs.

My old PSU is a 350W Green(that's the Brand) and P4certified one. It was included on my case. Now I plan buying a Zalman ZM400-A-APF.

Suddenly it occured to me that perhaps I could use both of the PSUs to supply my system like this: The old one for the diskdrives and the new one for the MB and Gfx(it does need additional power, or not:confused: . The 6800 does.).

Does that make sense or am I talking complete &*%^(%$&*^%^???? What do you think? Have I lost the last working neurons in my brain?:p

Reaction score
If the one good one can handle everything fine, then what is the actual point - i wouldn't use a generic PSU if i had the option of a really good one!!

Hard drives HATE dodgy power supplies, it makes them die.

Stick with a 400w plus brand named one, it will do you fine.

Reaction score
That says it all:)

Though I never had any probs with my old one, I'm sure you're right.

But it is possible????

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
erebon said:
I'm building a new PC with an AMD64 3200+ on nForce4, 6600GT, 2x512 MB RAM, possibly two HDDs and certainly two ODDs.

My old PSU is a 350W Green(that's the Brand) and P4certified one. It was included on my case. Now I plan buying a Zalman ZM400-A-APF.

Suddenly it occured to me that perhaps I could use both of the PSUs to supply my system like this: The old one for the diskdrives and the new one for the MB and Gfx(it does need additional power, or not:confused: . The 6800 does.).

Does that make sense or am I talking complete &*%^(%$&*^%^???? What do you think? Have I lost the last working neurons in my brain?:p
Yes ... it's been done many times.

One 'problem' we used to have, was powering-up the second PSU at the same time as the first, however, you can now buy a little piece of circuitry that will do the job.

If, on the other hand, you opt for a decent PSU then the 'hassle' will be taken out of the equation. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yes ... it's been done many times.

One 'problem' we used to have, was powering-up the second PSU at the same time as the first, however, you can now buy a little piece of circuitry that will do the job.

If, on the other hand, you opt for a decent PSU then the 'hassle' will be taken out of the equation. ;)

:thumb:
Thanks alot :)
Great! Well, I don't think think I can make my system consume more power than a ZM400-A-APF can deliver, if I don't put +4 HDD and 2xGfx for SLI inside and do some nice overclocking:p

And as I neither have enough money to do that nor need it...

:D

Ask a Question