Two problems with the ASUS k8v deluxe

Discussion in 'Asus Motherboards' started by Mike Henley, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    I'm having two problems with the ASUS k8v deluxe. My windows is fully
    updated.

    First, i have installed a third-party cpu-fan that's bigger and slower
    (meant to be quieter), the stupid woman-voice keeps yelling every time
    i restart the computer "CPU FAN FAILED!". Sometimes it's too startling
    of a sudden especially when you keep your computer up for a few days
    and forget about this warning. Add to it that when this happens i
    usually have my speakers volume set to max. Which i suspect might've
    disturbed my neighbours when i restarted at night.

    Which brings us to the second problem, and that is why i have my
    speakers volume set to max... the sound regularly just goes to almost
    muted. Not exactly muted, because there's still sound, but you really
    have to turn the analog dial on the speakers themselves to max, and
    set all the applications and operating system sound to max too to hear
    it. And even then it'd be a little faint that i just try to get used
    to it but eventually get too annoyed and in my frustration i restart,
    often forgetting about that stupid warning only to get yelled at "CPU
    FAN FAILED!" yet again.

    I don't wanna speed up the fan 'cos i prefer it to be quiet, but the
    computer's temperatuer and everything is perfect and no problem, i
    just wanna shut up this warning. And i wish i could find out what the
    problem is with this sound problem and why it does that and what fix
    is there. Has anyone had this problem with the sound or heard of it?

    regards

    Mike Henley, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Mike Henley

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    (Mike Henley) wrote:

    > I'm having two problems with the ASUS k8v deluxe. My windows is fully
    > updated.
    >
    > First, i have installed a third-party cpu-fan that's bigger and slower
    > (meant to be quieter), the stupid woman-voice keeps yelling every time
    > i restart the computer "CPU FAN FAILED!". Sometimes it's too startling
    > of a sudden especially when you keep your computer up for a few days
    > and forget about this warning. Add to it that when this happens i
    > usually have my speakers volume set to max. Which i suspect might've
    > disturbed my neighbours when i restarted at night.
    >
    > Which brings us to the second problem, and that is why i have my
    > speakers volume set to max... the sound regularly just goes to almost
    > muted. Not exactly muted, because there's still sound, but you really
    > have to turn the analog dial on the speakers themselves to max, and
    > set all the applications and operating system sound to max too to hear
    > it. And even then it'd be a little faint that i just try to get used
    > to it but eventually get too annoyed and in my frustration i restart,
    > often forgetting about that stupid warning only to get yelled at "CPU
    > FAN FAILED!" yet again.
    >
    > I don't wanna speed up the fan 'cos i prefer it to be quiet, but the
    > computer's temperatuer and everything is perfect and no problem, i
    > just wanna shut up this warning. And i wish i could find out what the
    > problem is with this sound problem and why it does that and what fix
    > is there. Has anyone had this problem with the sound or heard of it?
    >
    > regards

    "Speech POST Reporter" [Disabled] will stop the messages.

    In the Hardware Monitor BIOS page, select "CPU Fan Speed" and
    set it to [Ignore]. Since the thermal monitoring will still be
    enabled, you'll get a warning if the fan actually stops, and
    the CPU is overheating. Asus COP should also shut down the
    board, if the CPU overheats enough. Using this option will allow
    the "Speech POST Reporter" to be left enabled.

    As for your sound symptoms, it sounds like a DC leakage problem
    with your speaker system. Everything on the sound chip is AC coupled,
    which means signals entering or leaving the board, are periodic
    signals centered on zero volts. Now, if the caps used in an
    audio path, have a DC leakage path (i.e. a resistor in parallel
    with the capacitor), this can charge up the input on another device
    until it gets to the point that the sound signal runs out of dynamic
    range. To test for this, get an audio Y cable, and plug a
    headset into one side of the Y, and your speakers into the other
    side of the Y (i.e. they are running in parallel). The 32 ohm DC
    load of the headphones, should give a path for the DC leakage to
    go, and give a consistent sound level. This is the only theory I
    can think of, unless there is some software reason why the sound
    level could be turned down continuously.

    You could also connect some other device than your amplified
    speakers to the Lineout, to see if the sound level is
    consistent. Try the headphones, assuming they are 32ohm
    impedance and are DC coupled.

    The most annoying solution would be to RMA the board, but
    the problem might be with your speakers, rther than the
    board. That is why testing with alternate output devices will
    help identify whether the motherboard or the output device(s)
    are at fault.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2306042211000001@192.168.1.177>...

    > "Speech POST Reporter" [Disabled] will stop the messages.
    >
    > In the Hardware Monitor BIOS page, select "CPU Fan Speed" and
    > set it to [Ignore]. Since the thermal monitoring will still be
    > enabled, you'll get a warning if the fan actually stops, and
    > the CPU is overheating. Asus COP should also shut down the
    > board, if the CPU overheats enough. Using this option will allow
    > the "Speech POST Reporter" to be left enabled.

    This worked... thanks :) ... as for the sound...

    > As for your sound symptoms, it sounds like a DC leakage problem
    > with your speaker system. Everything on the sound chip is AC coupled,
    > which means signals entering or leaving the board, are periodic
    > signals centered on zero volts. Now, if the caps used in an
    > audio path, have a DC leakage path (i.e. a resistor in parallel
    > with the capacitor), this can charge up the input on another device
    > until it gets to the point that the sound signal runs out of dynamic
    > range. To test for this, get an audio Y cable, and plug a
    > headset into one side of the Y, and your speakers into the other
    > side of the Y (i.e. they are running in parallel). The 32 ohm DC
    > load of the headphones, should give a path for the DC leakage to
    > go, and give a consistent sound level. This is the only theory I
    > can think of, unless there is some software reason why the sound
    > level could be turned down continuously.
    >
    > You could also connect some other device than your amplified
    > speakers to the Lineout, to see if the sound level is
    > consistent. Try the headphones, assuming they are 32ohm
    > impedance and are DC coupled.
    >
    > The most annoying solution would be to RMA the board, but
    > the problem might be with your speakers, rther than the
    > board. That is why testing with alternate output devices will
    > help identify whether the motherboard or the output device(s)
    > are at fault.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Hi Paul... As for the sound... I don't have an Y cable... but the
    sound just gone into a very faint volume suddenly, so i unplugged the
    speakers and connected headphones and it sounds very faint even in the
    headphones..

    What's RMA?

    Mike Henley, Jun 29, 2004