TWEAKUI XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by janet-m, Sep 26, 2008.

  1. janet-m

    janet-m Guest

    I run a windows XP PRO.
    For few years I had the excellent program called TWEAKUI and it worked fine.

    A while ago I lost the button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page and
    ever since I can't do anything in this lovely program. I tried to download
    from MS the same program but Now it is no longer one program that contain
    every thing but they have separated the various components and you have to
    download each one separately.

    I tried that route but it keep giving me stories such as I must have an MCE
    program on my machine and I don't even know what is MCE.

    How to liven up the GRAYED out "apply" button on the program I already have
    and used for years,
    or what program to download that can fix this matter or re-install the
    program. And if I obtain a new program , do I have to delete the old one
    before re-installing the new one?
    Thanks
    Janet

    janet-m, Sep 26, 2008

  2. janet-m

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Uninstall TweakUI. Re-start your computer. Obtain TweakUI from Microsoft
    and install it:

    Keep in mind that TweakUI changes your system in ways that can set off
    alarms for your security software. You may need to disable your security
    software when using TweakUI.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

    Leonard Grey, Sep 26, 2008

  3. janet-m

    janet-m Guest

    Hi Leonard
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I went to the site you mentioned and on the right column there are many
    programs.

    In the past I downloaded one only and it contained all of them. Does it mean
    I now have to download each separately and delete/re-install each
    separately?

    Thanks
    Janet

    janet-m, Sep 26, 2008
  4. janet-m

    Leonard Grey Guest

    I see only one item called TweakUI.exe on the right side.
    ---

    janet-m wrote:
    > Hi Leonard
    > Thanks for the quick response.
    > I went to the site you mentioned and on the right column there are many
    > programs.
    >
    > In the past I downloaded one only and it contained all of them. Does it mean
    > I now have to download each separately and delete/re-install each
    > separately?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Janet
    >

    > "Leonard Grey" <> wrote in message
    >> Uninstall TweakUI. Re-start your computer. Obtain TweakUI from Microsoft
    >> and install it:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that TweakUI changes your system in ways that can set off
    >> alarms for your security software. You may need to disable your security
    >> software when using TweakUI.
    >> ---
    >> Leonard Grey
    >> Errare humanum est
    >>
    >> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
    >>
    >> janet-m wrote:
    >>> I run a windows XP PRO.
    >>> For few years I had the excellent program called TWEAKUI and it worked
    >>> fine.
    >>>
    >>> A while ago I lost the button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page
    >>> and ever since I can't do anything in this lovely program. I tried to
    >>> download from MS the same program but Now it is no longer one program
    >>> that contain every thing but they have separated the various components
    >>> and you have to download each one separately.
    >>>
    >>> I tried that route but it keep giving me stories such as I must have an
    >>> MCE program on my machine and I don't even know what is MCE.
    >>>
    >>> How to liven up the GRAYED out "apply" button on the program I already
    >>> have and used for years,
    >>> or what program to download that can fix this matter or re-install the
    >>> program. And if I obtain a new program , do I have to delete the old one
    >>> before re-installing the new one?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Janet

    Leonard Grey, Sep 26, 2008
  5. janet-m

    janet-m Guest

    OK Leonard
    I downloaded one that is 147 KB .
    I went to ADD REMOVE to delete the old one and there I found two items.
    One says just TWEAKUI at 2.63 MB
    with no information on it

    The other is TWEAKUI POWERTOY FOR WINDOWS XP and it is only 0.36 MB.
    This one has the info of MS CORP and the version 1.00.001

    Which one to remove and maybe I can scrap them both. What you say?

    janet-m, Sep 26, 2008
  6. On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:32:19 -0400, "janet-m" <>
    wrote:

    > OK Leonard
    > I downloaded one that is 147 KB .
    > I went to ADD REMOVE to delete the old one and there I found two items.
    > One says just TWEAKUI at 2.63 MB
    > with no information on it
    >
    > The other is TWEAKUI POWERTOY FOR WINDOWS XP and it is only 0.36 MB.
    > This one has the info of MS CORP and the version 1.00.001
    >
    > Which one to remove and maybe I can scrap them both. What you say?

    I'm not sure which is which, but read the following:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp (if you
    have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    (if you don't have SP1 or SP2).

    My guess is that your problems with TweakUI were because you had the
    second one listed above, but then installed SP1 or SP2, and that
    caused the lack of compatibility. If I were in your shoes, I'd just
    uninstall whatever you have and then install the correct one listed
    above.

    By the way, I see that in your original message you say "I lost the
    button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page and ever since I can't
    do anything in this lovely program." Be aware that the standard use of
    the Apply button is that it works exactly the same as the OK button,
    except that it keeps the dialog box open. I can't recall what TweakUI
    does in this respect, but most programs follow that standard.

    Ken

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Sep 26, 2008
  7. janet-m

    Leonard Grey Guest

    What Ken said.
    ---

    Leonard Grey, Sep 26, 2008
  8. janet-m

    janet-m Guest

    Thanks Ken
    I have all SP installed. first SP1 Then 2 and then 3
    I guess I'll remove and delete both lines and let the chips fall where they
    may :)

    Thanks for now to both of you, Ken and leonard

    Janet

    janet-m, Sep 26, 2008
  9. On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:47:23 -0400, "janet-m" <>
    wrote:

    > Thanks Ken
    > I have all SP installed. first SP1 Then 2 and then 3
    > I guess I'll remove and delete both lines and let the chips fall where they
    > may :)
    >
    > Thanks for now to both of you, Ken and leonard

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Ken Blake, MVP, Sep 26, 2008
  10. janet-m

    Leonard Grey Guest

    What Ken said. ;-)
    ---

    Leonard Grey, Sep 26, 2008
  11. janet-m

    janet-m Guest

    WELL.... I can't understand what happen.

    I tried to remove both of them but only the one of the 0.36Mb gone.

    the other one without the MS info and it is 2.63MB this one won't go away.

    On the other hand the entire program with its dead "Apply" is still there
    but without the Apply will not activate anything.

    What shall I do now?

    Thanks
    Janet

    janet-m, Sep 26, 2008