TV Tuner qustion

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Hardware' started by Wonderman, Aug 5, 2009.

  1. Wonderman

    Wonderman Guest

    Wonderman, Aug 5, 2009

  2. See http://www.leadtek.com/eng/tv_tuner/overview.asp?lineid=6&pronameid=448

    It is a hybrid analog and digital TV product, so if there is a driver
    MCE will be happy with the digital output.

    Analog cards need hardware MPEG encoding to work with MCE, which this
    card does not have. Digital program streams are already MPEG2 encoded.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 5, 2009

  3. Richard G. Harper, Aug 5, 2009
  4. Wonderman

    Wonderman Guest

    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with a Happauge 1600 that has an
    MPEG decoder chip.

    Wonderman, Aug 6, 2009
  5. Wonderman

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Wonderman.

    Do you really mean MCE, as in the Media Center Edition PCs sold a few years
    ago? Or simply the MC (Windows Media Center) application that is included
    in current Vista and Win7? I've never had an MCE, but I've been running MC
    for a few years, always in the x64 versions of Vista Ultimate and Win7
    Ultimate.

    My Hauppauge HVR-1600 is a couple of years old now and I see that newer
    versions are available. The HVR-1600 works just fine in Windows Media
    Center. ;<)

    My computer also has a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick, bought at about the same
    time as the HVR-1600. I'm never sure which tuner is delivering my pictures,
    but they both seem to work - most of the time. I don't have a TV cable
    service, so my reception is strictly over-the-air from both Austin (30 miles
    away) and San Antonio (50 miles). I griped for years about MC and the
    tuners; finally I realized that my problem was with reception, not with the
    tuners.

    At first, drivers, especially 64-bit, for both tuners were a real hassle,
    but now drivers for both are automatically installed and updated by Win7.
    I've tried to use the software supplied by Hauppauge and Pinnacle, but
    usually go back to Media Center.

    After installing Win7 Ultimate x64 RTM yesterday, I watched the evening news
    on TV on my computer. I missed the first 10 minutes while MC was
    configuring for the new installation, but it was good after that. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64

    R. C. White, Aug 7, 2009