TV Shows!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thankfully not!! Going to start playing some Elite Dangerous (I've been doing the training missions) so dreams about that would be pretty cool.

Not heard of that one, would you recommend it?

Well I watched it more or less straight through over three nights so yes, I suppose I would.

I think it's about two years old and it's a six part story about a kidnapping in Yorkshire and centres around a middle-aged policewoman.

If you don't like the first one it's likely you won't like any of them, but I did.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I'd heard good things about Happy Valley so I got hold of all six episodes of the first one and watched them. I enjoyed that, most excellent drama.

I liked Happy Valley. Quality stuff. Say... have you watched Justified? Or Fargo?

The theme song of Justified (by Gangstagrass) is an earworm of epic proportions:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just finished the boxed set of The Killing. Quite enjoyable with lots of twists and turns but tbh the first series seemed incredibly long with just about every character being a suspect at some time. Also, you have to watch it very intently to keep up with the storyline and, as it's in Danish, you are obliged to use Subtitles. Unless, of course, you speak Danish. :)

The ending of the third series I found a little incredulous but it is, supposedly, escape entertainment. :D

All in all, I did enjoy it. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I liked Happy Valley. Quality stuff. Say... have you watched Justified? Or Fargo?
We thoroughly enjoyed "Justified" and yeah, liked that music too. :thumb:

Currently, we're enjoying "The Murdoch Mysteries" (on DvD) which is a Canadian series, set in Toronto during the late 1890s. The main character, Detective William Murdoch, has a keen interest in the "modern tech" of that era; for example, fingermarks - or fingerprints as we now know them.

The stories are very entertaining, and I like that there is some humour sprinkled here and there. Here's a little trailer which gives a flavour of the show.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Well I watched it more or less straight through over three nights so yes, I suppose I would.

I think it's about two years old and it's a six part story about a kidnapping in Yorkshire and centres around a middle-aged policewoman.

If you don't like the first one it's likely you won't like any of them, but I did.

Weirdly, after never having heard of Happy Valley, I saw an advert on Friday evening for series two! What are the chances?! Looks good :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Does anyone here watch Homeland? We've been catching up on the most recent series (5) and it's been fantastic so far. I wasn't keen on the first episode, but I was hooked from episode 2. We've only got two more to watch, so if you have seen it and know what happens - no spoilers please!

I think when we're done watching Homeland then we might start on Jessica Jones.

Reaction score
Yes Homeland was great. It started getting a bit boring after Damian Lewis left though. Don't get me wrong it's still ok but just seems they dragging it out now due to ratings

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Yes Homeland was great. It started getting a bit boring after Damian Lewis left though. Don't get me wrong it's still ok but just seems they dragging it out now due to ratings

I wasn't a fan of series 4 to be honest - I couldn't even remember what had happened in it when we started watching series 5! But this series is so much better. I think Claire Danes plays the part of Carrie really well, she's a great actor.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Recently watched the whole of Homeland, Series 1-4. :) Easy to get hooked on this sort of thing but very enjoyable.

Interesting that a number of these American series feature British actors such as Dominic West (The Wire), Damien Lewis and David Harewood (both in Homeland). I imagine it's because British actors are cheaper to hire than American ones and the producers know that they will still get a first class performance.

I'm presently enjoying Happy Valley, although I missed the first series. The Night Manager looks like being a great story (David Harewood in this too) although with Olivia Colman and Tom Hollander both in it I keep thinking of Rev, which I enjoyed immensely. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
All aboard the Hype Train! :D

Also everyone's favourite geek has done a breakdown of the trailer if you're into that kind of thing. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
In other news, we started on the new season of House of Cards last night. Trying not to binge watch it all at once! Kinda wish I'd rewatched the previous season first, because I can't remember most of what happened to be honest.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
TWD finale last night, great ending, has caused much butthurt on the internet. haha.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Line of Duty is off to a great start, as usual. Where will it go next? :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
TWD finale last night, great ending, has caused much butthurt on the internet. haha.

I've never watched The Walking Dead, but seemlingly everyone I know watches it. I should really give it a try one day.

We're watching Jessica Jones at the moment, which I'm really enjoying.

Not long until GoT! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
TWD is worth it, second only to GoT in my opinion.

Yeah we enjoyed Jessica Jones too, Krysten Ritter is a great actress. :)

Less than a month! Woop!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Can't remember if I have ever mentioned this but the 4th and final season of Banshee started a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously, if you ever get to watch it its one of the most under rated shows ever. Really good!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017109/

Possible slight spoilers if your not up to date in this trailer....

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We watched seasons 1 & 2 of Banshee - I really enjoyed season 1, but I thought season 2 wasn't great. So we didn't watch season 3... is it better than 2?

Finished watching Jessica Jones on Monday - it was excellent! We've started re-watching season 5 of Game of Thrones in preparation for season 6 coming out soon :D

Ask a Question