Turning off annoying hover windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Bob, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have tried to find a solution to this problem for months... I have
    searched the internet from one end to the other... no one has come up
    with a solution or fix.

    I want to TURN OFF the ANNOYING pop-up information boxes that open up
    everytime I hover over and icon or file name with my cursor. They are
    everywhere in Windows, in file boxes, icons, anything I mouse over I get
    the stupid window telling me about a particular file. Problem is that
    these stupid windows are always IN THE WAY.

    I am NOT talking about "balloon tips", as I have tried every registry
    hack known to turn these off. I am talking about the yellow rectangle
    boxes that pop up everywhere, when I hover on the taskbar for example
    the window will pop up and tell me what the icon is for.

    If I hover over the IE icon on the taskbar I get this message in a
    2-line ywllow box:

    "Launch Internet Explorer browser
    Finds and displays information and websites on the Internet"

    Well, DUH, I think it's pretty obvious that clicking the icon will
    launch IE and that I KNOW that I will be able to surf the internet once
    it opens. I don't need a box to tell me this I wonder what moron
    programmer came up with this stupid idea? Worse, not allowing an easy
    way to turn off the annoying boxes.

    Help!!!!

    Bob

    Bob, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Bob

    DJS0302 Guest

    My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, uncheck the box at the very
    bottom of the list that says "Show pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop
    items.

    DJS0302, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Bob

    Bob I Guest

    Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Uncheck Show popups will
    take care of most of them. As to the Taskbar, editing the Comment in the
    shortcut will reduce the size, as will trimming the "description".

    Bob I, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Bob

    Art Guest

    Bob (the OP)...
    Re: turning off the balloon tips...
    From Doug Knox's site:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_balloontips.htm

    "xp_balloontips.vbs -Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips
    © Doug Knox - 02/06/2002

    This VB Script will add Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips.

    To use: Download the xp_balloontips.vbs file and save it to your hard drive
    (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click
    xp_balloontips.vbs file. You will be prompted when the changes have been
    completed. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to
    the specific Registry key and value that are updated.

    This page last updated 04/14/2002"

    Art

    Art, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Bob

    Guest Guest

    "DJS0302" wrote:

    > My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, uncheck the box at the very
    > bottom of the list that says "Show pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop
    > items.

    It doesn't work! I still keep getting them anywhere I rest the cursor,
    including having it nag me here "enter your message". grrrrrrr...

    Guest, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Bob

    Guest Guest

    bless you!

    Guest, Feb 13, 2005
  7. Bob

    Guest Guest

    It's probably bad karma to revoke a "bless you", and perhaps balloon tips
    were disabled by the fix, but it did nothing for those popup yellow
    information windows.

    Guest, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Bob

    Kelly Guest

    How To: Turn off the Balloon Tooltips and Pop-ups

    Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Advanced/Uncheck Popup
    Descriptions for Folder and Desktop Items.

    TweakUI/Taskbar/Uncheck Enable Balloon Tips

    Or use this automated edit:

    Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)

    Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer
    Pop-Ups, Show Info Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Kelly, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Bob

    Justa

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've tried everything in this thread but nothing works.
    Does anyone know how to remove the annoying yellow box that appears in XP when you
    These are NOT about "balloon tips." They are typically a just a few words in a small hovering yellow box.
    Nothing above works to remove them.

    Justa, Mar 25, 2009
  10. Bob

    westek12

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Worked for XP but not Internet Explorer, etc...

    Thanks for the help with getting rid of this extremely annoying feature. I did the VB Script fix and while the problem is solved for XP it is still there when surfing the Internet while using any browser (IE, Firefox, Avant, etc.). Is there any way of eradicating them from my browser too?

    My thanks in advance!

    Westek12

    westek12, Jan 19, 2010