Tualatin IHS removal. (Kony)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ~misfit~, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hey Dave (and crew).

    Well that Tualatin I mentioned that I'd glued the HS onto with Zalman epxoy?
    I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
    trouble. One thing I found interesting, there was quite a gap between the
    core and the IHS, filled with thermal compound. Probably 2mm or more. That
    can't be good for heat-transfer.

    I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS with a
    screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the (aluminium) HS
    a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully not in an area where
    it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped' the HS with some 600 grit
    wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to remove the remaining epoxy. It
    actually came up a lot smoother than it was originally. Plus it's a lot
    flatter now, it was quite bowed, a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

    I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get one I'm
    just gonna run it bare (no IHS). I really didn't like the way there was such
    a huge gap between the IHS and the core, certainly can't be good for
    heat-transfer.

    Thanks for the URL and the idea, I now have another CPU I can use when I can
    find a cheap enough board. It's a Celly 1.3Ghz.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 6, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    kony Guest

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey Dave (and crew).
    >
    >Well that Tualatin I mentioned that I'd glued the HS onto with Zalman epxoy?
    >I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
    >trouble. One thing I found interesting, there was quite a gap between the
    >core and the IHS, filled with thermal compound. Probably 2mm or more. That
    >can't be good for heat-transfer.

    Yep, after seeing quite a few chips sans their IHS, it's clear that a user
    with attention to detail will have a better interface without the IHS,
    providing of course that they have a halfway decent heatsink... but for a
    Tualatin any old POS 'sink is usually plenty good after it's lapped.

    >I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS with a
    >screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the (aluminium) HS
    >a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully not in an area where
    >it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped' the HS with some 600 grit
    >wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to remove the remaining epoxy. It
    >actually came up a lot smoother than it was originally. Plus it's a lot
    >flatter now, it was quite bowed, a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

    I'd be worried about the oven though, if the localized heat was too high
    compared to the thermostat it might get hotter than intended, harm the
    chip.

    >I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get one I'm
    >just gonna run it bare (no IHS). I really didn't like the way there was such
    >a huge gap between the IHS and the core, certainly can't be good for
    >heat-transfer.
    >
    >Thanks for the URL and the idea, I now have another CPU I can use when I can
    >find a cheap enough board. It's a Celly 1.3Ghz.

    It's good to hear that the IHS came off without any damage... I probably
    would've taken a hacksaw to the 'sink and cut out a chunk of the bottom.

    kony, Apr 6, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    Spajky Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
    >trouble.

    good ... no damage to the CPU base (PCB); my friend did not have that
    luck!

    >One thing I found interesting, there was quite a gap between the
    >core and the IHS, filled with thermal compound. Probably 2mm or more. That
    >can't be good for heat-transfer.

    Sure not! I did not wanna remove for myself that IHS but resolved a
    problem my way .. :) , see my site ... check my mods too .. :)

    >I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS ....

    thats nothing; I put my Tuallie on the pot & than on the stove! see on
    my site this updated under comp/..CPU Burn-in ... :)))

    > I then 'lapped' the HS ... it's a lot
    >flatter now, it was quite bowed....

    I did it also on IHS ...

    If you have enough gutts, you can try lapping the core itself too ..
    :) (some guys did it, but its a risky business)

    >I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get one I'm
    >just gonna run it bare (no IHS).

    be carefull not to crack the edges of a CPU core; put some foamed gum
    washers at the edge of a CPU (like AMDs have) to prevent that when
    mounting a HS!

    Be carefull that in any case the HS does not fall off during operation
    /crack of a holding plastics on s370 socket!/, since IHS helps
    delay-ing the thermal runaway of a chip to engage its thermal
    protection at IMHO 125°C shutting it down ...

    >I really didn't like the way there was such
    >a huge gap between the IHS and the core, certainly can't be good for
    >heat-transfer.

    sure not, but that gap is not equal on all samples, some have been
    just assembled worse (depends on in which Intel´s factory was done &
    boxed are generally made better)

    -- Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Apr 6, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    kony wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS
    >> with a screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the
    >> (aluminium) HS a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully
    >> not in an area where it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped'
    >> the HS with some 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to
    >> remove the remaining epoxy. It actually came up a lot smoother than
    >> it was originally. Plus it's a lot flatter now, it was quite bowed,
    >> a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

    > I'd be worried about the oven though, if the localized heat was too
    > high compared to the thermostat it might get hotter than intended,
    > harm the chip.

    Maybe I wasn't clear, I put the HS in the oven, still attached to the IHS
    but *after* I'd removed the CPU.

    >> I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get
    >> one I'm just gonna run it bare (no IHS). I really didn't like the
    >> way there was such a huge gap between the IHS and the core,
    >> certainly can't be good for heat-transfer.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the URL and the idea, I now have another CPU I can use
    >> when I can find a cheap enough board. It's a Celly 1.3Ghz.

    > It's good to hear that the IHS came off without any damage... I
    > probably would've taken a hacksaw to the 'sink and cut out a chunk of
    > the bottom.

    Butcher. <g>.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 6, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Spajky wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
    >> trouble.

    > good ... no damage to the CPU base (PCB); my friend did not have that
    > luck!

    I think it was because the CPU was stuck to a HS. I could only get the blade
    in dead straight, therefore it didn't dig into the CPU substrate.

    >> I then 'lapped' the HS ... it's a lot
    >> flatter now, it was quite bowed....

    > I did it also on IHS ...
    >
    > If you have enough gutts, you can try lapping the core itself too ..
    > :) (some guys did it, but its a risky business)

    Yeah, I've seen a site that gives instructions on how to do it. I don't
    think I'll bother. <g>

    >> I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get
    >> one I'm just gonna run it bare (no IHS).

    > be carefull not to crack the edges of a CPU core; put some foamed gum
    > washers at the edge of a CPU (like AMDs have) to prevent that when
    > mounting a HS!

    The site Kony gave me mentioned this. I have some double-sided foam tape
    that I'm going to try using. It is a little thicker than the die but I think
    (hope) that it will compress enough to allow good contact between core and
    HS. It is quite 'spongy'.

    > Be carefull that in any case the HS does not fall off during operation
    > /crack of a holding plastics on s370 socket!/, since IHS helps
    > delay-ing the thermal runaway of a chip to engage its thermal
    > protection at IMHO 125°C shutting it down ...

    Thanks for the tips.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 7, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:50:52 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >kony wrote:
    >> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS
    >>> with a screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the
    >>> (aluminium) HS a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully
    >>> not in an area where it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped'
    >>> the HS with some 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to
    >>> remove the remaining epoxy. It actually came up a lot smoother than
    >>> it was originally. Plus it's a lot flatter now, it was quite bowed,
    >>> a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

    >> I'd be worried about the oven though, if the localized heat was too
    >> high compared to the thermostat it might get hotter than intended,
    >> harm the chip.

    >Maybe I wasn't clear, I put the HS in the oven, still attached to the IHS
    >but *after* I'd removed the CPU.

    Naw, you were clear... 'twas prior to the AM coffee, i was not clear

    >> It's good to hear that the IHS came off without any damage... I
    >> probably would've taken a hacksaw to the 'sink and cut out a chunk of
    >> the bottom.

    >Butcher. <g>.

    LOL, any excuse to cut up a heatsink... the scraps are infinitely cheaper
    than ready-made mosfet 'sinks

    kony, Apr 7, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:05:01 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >The site Kony gave me mentioned this. I have some double-sided foam tape
    >that I'm going to try using. It is a little thicker than the die but I think
    >(hope) that it will compress enough to allow good contact between core and
    >HS. It is quite 'spongy'.

    Foam tape, provided it's open-cell, should compress plenty, though you
    should be ok without any tape... Coppermines survived. It was mostly the
    Athlons that were such a problem because of the extra tension AMD spec'd
    for the heatsink clip, and I suspect it didn't help that the ceramic
    carrier was completely inflexible.

    kony, Apr 7, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    kony wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:05:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> The site Kony gave me mentioned this. I have some double-sided foam
    >> tape that I'm going to try using. It is a little thicker than the
    >> die but I think (hope) that it will compress enough to allow good
    >> contact between core and HS. It is quite 'spongy'.

    > Foam tape, provided it's open-cell, should compress plenty, though you
    > should be ok without any tape... Coppermines survived. It was mostly
    > the Athlons that were such a problem because of the extra tension AMD
    > spec'd for the heatsink clip, and I suspect it didn't help that the
    > ceramic carrier was completely inflexible.

    Thanks. Yeah, I already tried fitting it in a socket and fitting a HSF, just
    for the hell of it. It was Ok. Shame it wasn't a board that could run it.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 7, 2004