Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's heading

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Kwn, Sep 11, 2008.

  1. Kwn

    Kwn Guest

    I inherited a document containing tables that occur immediately before
    numbered sections. Word will not let me insert text after the table - when I
    press Shift+ENTER, the spike moves to the beginning of the next section's
    heading text, and any text I type is prepended to the existing heading text.

    For example, when I press Shift+ENTER at the location indicated below by the
    asterisk (outside Table 1's right margin and on the bottom row), the cursor
    jumps to the position indicated by the # sign, intead of starting a new line
    below the table. Any suggestions?

    Table 1: Table Name
    A B C D
    3 2 1 0*

    1.0 #NEW SECTION

    --
    KenRK

    Kwn, Sep 11, 2008

  2. Kwn

    DeanH Guest

    Shft+Enter is entering a manual line break and not entering a new paragraph.
    You are doing what is correct except the next step, which is to apply the
    style you want, not the one that Word automatically applies in this situation.
    So with your:
    1.0 #New Section
    just apply the style you want, say Body Text and the new paragraph will
    miraculously return to below the table, so long as the style you apply does
    not have Page Break before, or Keep with Next as a paragraph setting. ;-)
    Hope this helps
    DeanH

    DeanH, Sep 11, 2008

  3. Kwn

    Kwn Guest

    RE: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    Dean,

    Thanks, I used part of what you said to solve my immediate problem. The
    next section heading was already there, with style "Heading 1" (p.s., which
    in this document does indeed have "Page Break before" AND "Keep with Next" as
    paragraph settings).

    What I did was press Shft+Enter, then apply the style "Body Text". The
    section title changed into body text and appeared below the table as you
    said, but the section heading disappeared of course. I still need the
    section heading, so I retyped that in and changed it's style to HEADING 1.0.
    So the problem is solved.

    Do you know if there's a way to do it without having to re-enter the section
    heading? Or is this just a Word quirk?
    --
    KenRK

    Kwn, Sep 11, 2008
  4. Kwn

    DeanH Guest

    RE: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    Word has a default setting of inhereting the style from above unless the
    style has been setup to have a "Style to follow" applied.
    What you are seeing is "normal" for Word.
    I am still worried about the use of Shft+Enter for a manual line break
    instead of Enter for a new paragraph especially immediately after a table.
    What you could have done is Entered twice, so you get two Heading 1s, go
    back to the first and apply the body text style.
    But as you appreciate, there are many ways of doing one job in Word ;-)
    Word has a built in Shortcut, Ctrl+Alt+1 to apply the Heading 1 style, also
    2 for Heading 2, and 3 for Heading 3.

    Glad this worked for you.
    DeanH

    DeanH, Sep 11, 2008
  5. Kwn

    Kwn Guest

    RE: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    Great, thanks for the tip about entering the heading style with the
    Ctrl+Alt+n keys.

    When I tried to just press Enter in my original scenario, all that happened
    was that it created a new blank row at the bottom of the table. Perhaps there
    is a way to change that one row from table to text.

    Thanks for your help, Dean.
    --
    KenRK

    Kwn, Sep 11, 2008
  6. Kwn

    Kwn Guest

    RE: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    There was a new section heading immediately after the table already when I
    started.

    When I press enter at the end of the table, the new row is created as you
    said, and the cursor is positiopned in the first cell on the new row. No
    "Pilcrow" shows up with Show selected. If I press enter again, a new line
    and a Pilcrow appear in that cell of the table where the cursor is. If
    instead of pressing enter I press the down arrow, the cursor moves to the end
    of the bext section's heading text.

    --
    KenRK

    Kwn, Sep 11, 2008
  7. Re: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    Dean, what you're missing is that it can be difficult to insert an empty
    paragraph between a table and a section break.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 11, 2008
  8. I ran into this issue recently myself. I think the only way around it is to
    create a new empty paragraph *above* the table, then cut and paste the table
    above that paragraph (don't drag the table, or you'll end up with it
    wrapped, and you'll have to go to Table Properties | Table and set the text
    wrapping back to None).

    Another method that works in Word 2003 (but may not in Word 2007, which may
    be where I had the problem) is to switch to Normal view, place the insertion
    point at the beginning (left end) of the section break, and press Enter,
    which *will* insert an empty paragraph above the break. Unlike page breaks,
    section breaks don't take on the formatting of the following paragraph, so
    much of what Dean has said is, I believe, irrelevant.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 11, 2008
  9. Kwn

    Kwn Guest

    Re: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    I tried the "Normal view" method you suggested and that works. i almost
    never use Normal view as I prefer the Print Layout view.

    --
    KenRK

    Kwn, Sep 11, 2008
  10. Re: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    Most users do prefer Print Layout. But there are some operations (especially
    involving section breaks) that are much easier (or possibly only) in Normal
    view.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 11, 2008
  11. Kwn

    DeanH Guest

    Re: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    I did not see any reference to a section break only a new section Heading.

    KenRK - glad you got there in the end.
    All the best

    DeanH, Sep 12, 2008
  12. Re: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    I guess you're right. But in that case it should be a simple matter of
    pressing Enter at the beginning of the heading (between the number and the
    heading) and then changing the style of the new paragraph to Normal. I think
    I misunderstood the question entirely; I believe KenRK didn't understand
    that the position between the number and the heading *is* the (effective)
    beginning of the paragraph.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 12, 2008
  13. Kwn

    grammatim Guest

    Re: Trying to insert text after table upsets next SECTION's headin

    Also, when you get near the end of a large and complicated document,
    if you're in Print view Word wants to repaginate after nearly every
    keystroke. In Normal (now "Draft") view, it doesn't repaginate.

    grammatim, Sep 12, 2008