Tripple-fan PSU...why?

Reaction score
Take 3 fans into the shower?...Is there any good reason to invest in a PSU with 3 fans rather than 2? On another thread i've mentioned that i'm looking at buying a new case (possibly a Lian Li 7323A server tower; and I'm going to need a new power unit too. At least 450W...but how many fans on the thing, and do they really make much difference to cooling?

Any views?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hey, stop making me think ...

I've always wondered why a PSU is mounted on the inside of a case.

It gets hot, so it need to be cooled, so they fit a fan, then they stick it inside a case, which gets hot (well warm then), so they stick another fan on the underside to draw heat out through the hot PSU ... I suppose it makes more sense then to add another fan.

Now if they took out the PSU and fitted it to the outside of the case, then one could replace the gaping hole with a nice 120mm "Delta Screamer" … would the temperature not drop?

Ok, joking aside ... To answer your question ... NO!

How many case fans are you going to use.

Reaction score
LOL...
...you see, the thing is, I have a single fan 400W PSU in my current case. I have an XP2100 CPU cooled by a super silent heatpipe hsf and the processor runs at around 55c (getting as high as 60c after a while playing UT2003 or sumthin.
a friend has an XP2200+ using the same cooler (but a slightly larger fan) and his CPu runs at around 42c. He reckons the difference in the fan size on his hsf is marginal and would be cancelled out by the fact he has a faster cpu. His other suggestion is that the only difference in the cooling capacity of his system compared to mine is that he has a dual fan psu while mine has only the one...he says that a second psu fan sucking air from directly over the CPU would make a big difference.
He might have a point, but then I thought, hey!, what if i get three fans on my psu?!?...
I don't know..fans, eh....don't u just love 'em?
(Mmm...just thought, perhaps if i didn't keep my 'puter next to the cooker....)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It has always, and WILL always be a constant debate.

Though your CPU temps are in the High Bracket they are within AMD’s margins, though as you see from your “friends” system you should be able to get the temps down. A bigger faster rpm fan may make all the difference in transferring away the heat.

Don’t forget that the “ambient” temp’ plays an important part in the equation. If your ambient temp is 50c then there is no way of getting a CPU temp of 49c with air cooling.

I have on my 2000+ system (with four case fans) an old “Swiftech” copper HSF … the reason for using this HSF was … it gives me the best temps. With an ambient temp of 32c I have a CPU at 39c (43-45 under load), if the ambient temp drops so does the CPU temp. I have tried others HSF, yet to find one that beats my “Swifty”.

Case fans do help, even if it is only one at the rear of the case helping to suck out that heat. ;)

Reaction score
Latest on my cooling situation...
Decided against ordering a Lian Li PC70 case for now (I thought more room, 4 case fans and the aluminium 'heat-sink' effect might help, but then decided to see what I can get out of my existing rig...with a few changes...

First, order an Antec 480W True Blue PSU...dual fans, and warranty for 3 years...won't need another PSU for ages, and my existing Antec 400W Smart Power fan is always a handy backup.
From all the reviews I've read the True Blue is an excellent unit.

Second, ordered 2 additional 80mm case fans as intakes to go in the front of my Antec fileserver case. These should compliment the two existing fans I now have installed as exhausts on the back. (I've chosen YS-Tech super-quiet 4-pin ones)

Third, ordered some Arctic Silver III thermal compound...not necessarily that much better than the cheap stuff that came with my hsf, but it's worth trying it, even to go through the process of re-seating the heatsink again and tightening up the seal with the cpu will have some benefit.

Fourth, bought a small packet of self adhesive wire clips...for less than £1, I got about 10, that fit in key points inside the case to tidy up loose wires dangling around over the mobo...this will have absolutely zero effect, but it'll make me feel better!

Currently getting operating temperatures of 47C (CPU) and 21C (Mobo)...I'll let you know if the changes have any impact...I'm not expecting much of a reduction.:roll:

Ask a Question