Windows XP Topic: Microsoft XP media edition vs. Sony VAIO Media

Reaction score
I am looking to getting a media p.c and am weighing up between two alternatives. A high spec main brand P.C with microsoft XP media edition installed against a more stylish lower spec Sony VAIO P.C with Sony's VAIO Media management software. Does anyone have any prefereneces between these two or perhaps experience with either. They seem to be able to achieve roughly the same media functionality (music/TV/DVD/Pics) but I cannot seem to get a grip on which system will provide the best quality/ease of use etc.

I hope you can advise.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What is XP Media edition? Does the Media edition have any extras over Win XP Home or Pro? I thought most media functions were covered by Windows Media Player.

What extra software do Sony provide?

If the software is 'free' just see if you can try both and go for whatever you prefer.

Myself, rather than pay out more money for 'Media' software, I'd just install XP Pro and use the many free software applications available online.

Sorry can't be much more help, but I've no experience of this. I'm intrigued to find out just what this 'Media' software is.

Reaction score
With both you can manage your media data via an infrared control through a single menu interface. The remote can also be used for skipping through music tracks/playlists and DVD's and photo's. Through an aerial socket you can also tune into digital and terrestrial television (again using the remote), recording programmes to disk if you wish. Check out microsoft.com for details and explanation. Sony decided to make their own version, running it off windows XP home. The specs for the Sony VAIO PCV-V1 may help. With both, the idea is to then output to your telly and stereo and use the system as a central entertainment hub, if you like.

The media edition of XP comes with this ability to manage media data from remote access using a nice menu system over XP Pro or Home.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gbaka2: Ah, understand now, thanks for the xplanation :)

I do believe I've seen something similar made by MSI, sort of integrated entertainment centre and computer.

As mentioned, I've no experience of these systems, but I do have a fondness for the Sony VAIO laptops, if that's any help.

Let's hope somebody here can give you some more input.

Reaction score
gbaka,

never tried or even heard of the sony version but as with the ATI media centre hardware manufacturers should stick to developing hardware as apposed to software.

Windows Media Centre Edition 2004 is XP Pro with a Media Centre add on, it's nice to look at and generally runs very well, the idea behind it is that you stick a SFF (small form factor) pc under your tv in your living room and use it to navigate through stored and internet based media, it's also designed to input annalogue/digital television which will enable the user to pause live tv, record and then playback all from a simple menu structure.

Although Windows Media Centre runs on an XP Pro platform i wouldn't even consider using this software without at least 1024MB RAM, a top end processor and at least a 9800 pro, but that brings us to a problem with the SFF pc's, small space lot's of high power componants it's gonna get pretty hot, (i've seen them where you could almost fry an egg on the chassis!), for example you can forget a P4 3Ghz + as this will run very hot. and any graphics card that's larger than normal, eg, Nvidia FX 5950 will take the space of your one and only PCI slot.

went a little bit off the subject there, but hey! hopefully useful to someone ;)

James

Reaction score
ive seen the MSI ones your talking about - orange and silver barebone thing with funky display on the front right?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
ive seen the MSI ones your talking about - orange and silver barebone thing with funky display on the front right?
Yes, that be the one. An American fella at University at another Forum I frequent just bought one, reckons it's the dogs' nuts.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, just to be sure we're on the same wavelength here, This is the MSI machine I was referring to.

Last edited:

Ask a Question