    connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
    their "on-line" broadband internet connection.

    , Jul 18, 2005

  2. Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've been using wireless network at home for quite a while now, and
    > have it WEP (password) enabled, however, I have an un-settled feeling
    > that someone that is more savvy than me can still connect to my
    > network. Is there a tool that can monitor my network and record (text
    > file) network connection activity?
    >
    > For example, I can drive around my neigborhood with my laptop on and
    > monitoring wireless networks, and see several that I can easily
    > connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
    > their "on-line" broadband internet connection.

    Your WiFi AP shoulf be able to tell you this as should the DHCP client
    list on your router.

    --
    Conor

    Conor, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Wayne D Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > I've been using wireless network at home for quite a while now, and
    > > have it WEP (password) enabled, however, I have an un-settled feeling
    > > that someone that is more savvy than me can still connect to my
    > > network. Is there a tool that can monitor my network and record (text
    > > file) network connection activity?
    > >
    > > For example, I can drive around my neigborhood with my laptop on and
    > > monitoring wireless networks, and see several that I can easily
    > > connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
    > > their "on-line" broadband internet connection.
    > >

    > Your WiFi AP shoulf be able to tell you this as should the DHCP client
    > list on your router.

    Yes, you router will be able to show the connected IP's.

    You can also use this program to secure your network.

    LucidLink Wireless LAN Security

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lucidlink.html

    LucidLink Wireless LAN Security (3 User Home Office version) enables you
    to secure your 802.11 wireless home network from unauthorized access with
    802.1x authentication and advanced Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)
    encryption. The program runs in a server/client mode and your wireless
    access point is configured from the LucidLink server application, and
    will only allow access from clients that are using the generate client to
    connect to the network. Each client is verified for the proper
    credentials, and the first time a client connects, he must be approved by
    the administrator. LucidLink includes free-to-distribute clients for XP &
    W2K and works with 802.1X enabled access points including 3Com, Cisco, D-
    Link, Linksys, Motorola, Netgear, SMC & Zyxel. It secures your wireless
    network with Wi-Fi Protected Access (802.1X) authentication and advanced
    WPA encryption with a very easy-to-use interface. This home office
    version supports up to 3 users - a free registration is a offered after
    30 days. If you need more than 3 users, commercial version are available
    as well.

    Compatible with wireless access points and NICs that support 802.1X
    security.

    Win 2K, XP

    Regards

    Wayne D

    Wayne D, Jul 19, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > I've been using wireless network at home for quite a while now, and
    > have it WEP (password) enabled, however, I have an un-settled feeling
    > that someone that is more savvy than me can still connect to my
    > network. Is there a tool that can monitor my network and record (text
    > file) network connection activity?
    >
    > For example, I can drive around my neigborhood with my laptop on and
    > monitoring wireless networks, and see several that I can easily
    > connect(not protected), totally open. I was able to surf the net using
    > their "on-line" broadband internet connection.

    You are wide-open if you just use WEP.

    You need to be at WPA-PSK to be vaguely safe.

    And turn off the broadcast of your SSID.

    And turn on MAC address filtering.

    If you go ogle for "wireless access points security hints" you will have
    many hours of pleasant reading.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not