"to continue, type an administrator password, then click OK"

C

cat..

Hello,

I'm not sure what I did, but since a few weeks ago, a pop-up user access control window pops up, asking me to type in an administrator password to continue when I try to run a program.

I have a single user account on my machine and I never defined an administration password. Until recently, the UAC window just asked me whether I was allowing the program to continue but did not ask for any password.

How to get rid of this ?

Note: I tried to restart in safe mode, pressing F8 while the computer restarted but I haven't been able to enter the safe mode. I guess I need to precise direction to do this as well should that be the first step.

Maybe linked ? Hopefully not: I also have a .exe file called hpzsetup.exe that pops up as well and the administrator UAC window pops-up to launch the application. Not sere whether this is a virus ? Bit Defender did dedect a suspicious application file but the filename was Chrome_Setup.exe. I've put it in quarantine.

Thanks,

Catherine.

G

Gene E. Bloch

Hello,

I'm not sure what I did, but since a few weeks ago, a pop-up user access control window pops up, asking me to type in an administrator password to continue when I try to run a program.

I have a single user account on my machine and I never defined an administration password. Until recently, the UAC window just asked me whether I was allowing the program to continue but did not ask for any password.

How to get rid of this ?

Note: I tried to restart in safe mode, pressing F8 while the computer restarted but I haven't been able to enter the safe mode. I guess I need to precise direction to do this as well should that be the first step.

Maybe linked ? Hopefully not: I also have a .exe file called hpzsetup.exe that pops up as well and the administrator UAC window pops-up to launch the application. Not sere whether this is a virus ? Bit Defender did dedect a suspicious application file but the filename was Chrome_Setup.exe. I've put it in quarantine.

Thanks,

Catherine.

If you don't have an Administrator password, you might be able to
satisfy the UAC prompt by making sure the edit box is empty and just
hitting Enter.

Otherwise you might have to log in as Administrator and create a
password, then use it when UAC hassles you.

P

PaulM

Ask a Question