Thunderflies in monitor screens....

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping thunderflies out of a monitor? I've just treated myself to an Asus PB278Q a few weeks ago and already I have three dead insects trapped behind the screen. I managed to get rid of one by flicking the area around it and it dropped out of view, but I still have two remaining. Asus will issue an RMA and replace it, but that won't solve it happening again. The only solution I could think of was to adapt some ladies tights (after I've finished wearing them....) to cover the back in some way. Does anyone have a better idea on how to stop this happening?

Asus didn't respond when I asked why don't they fit some kind of screening filter during assembly, maybe it's not possible, I don't know.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooh they must be so annoying, Arnold. I once had a friend who used to find them inside her screen every summer, so I sympathise.

Anecdotally, they are supposed not to like peppermint oil, or lavender oil. Maybe smearing a little near their entry-point would help? Or, possibly putting drops of it onto a piece of fabric and fixint it close?

There is a whole list of "natural" repellants which are supposed to discourage various insects - including thunderflies. It's HERE. Where plants are mentioned, perhaps you could have a couple of appropriate pot-plants positioned near your monitor vents?

I have also seen suggestions for using a flea-collar fixed to the point where they get in.

Wishing you luck with getting rid of the little blighters. :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
don't let them in the house. :)

use a fly trap ... or

Electronic_UV_Insect_Killer_25W_g.jpg

Reaction score
Explain how that will help please?
Surely a fault with the product?
We suffer with a lot of insects due to having a small orchard and have never had a problem with windows open all seasons and with flys etc coming in to the room?

No need to get on your high horse over it?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've had a few in the monitor over the years and if they're in the centre of the screen they do become annoying, especially when they are crawling about.. However, none of them are visible now so I suppose that they eventually just die and disintegrate. :)

Reaction score
Guys thanks. Feckit - it's not a fault with the product, this is a common problem with these types of monitors. Not about to buy a new one though am I? I just paid £470 for this... Thing is it happened to my last monitor too, different make entirely. Taffy, thanks for the advice. I'm certainly going to try some of your solutions. They haven't started harvesting yet, when they do there's gonna be a lot more around. Thanks too Muchshifter, might be worth a shot. Asus website is rejecting the serial number so at the moment I can't get an RMA number either, which is helpful. Perils of living next to open fields I suppose. Thanks to all who replied.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Surely a fault with the product?
We suffer with a lot of insects due to having a small orchard and have never had a problem with windows open all seasons and with flys etc coming in to the room?

No need to get on your high horse over it?
No horses needed.

They get in via the vents in the back of the monitor, which all monitors have and have to have.

Thunderfiles in monitors is a thing thats been happening for years.

Reaction score
As a follow up to this chaps, Taffycat, I emailed the poster of your linked article and he suggested Basil to ward of Thunderflies, so Asus have swapped out my monitor and I'll be placing Basil plants around the back of it. They'll be harvesting soon I guess, so we'll see...?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
@Arnold Rimmer - great news that Asus has been able to help you.

Here's hoping for success with the Basil plants... At least they have a nice aroma, and can be useful in the kitchen too. (I guess you'll have to watch that your "bug-repellants" don't suddenly start to disappear if you have an enthusiastic cook in your household. :D)

Reaction score
I see, I now stand corrected.:blush:
Never had the problem on my £129 TFT.:p
Well, this is the 2nd monitor with this problem. My last monitor was only about £130 but it still got 2 bugs in it that died and I lived with it for years. Mind you, I live about 15ft from fields with barley / wheat in. Anyway off to buy some stockings now or should I go for tights? Thanks for your post Father Feckit.

Ask a Question