Thoughts on a Mechanical Keyboard?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm glad you found one you like! The Mionix reviews very well, so it's good to hear you're getting on with it. No doubt Ian will be wishing he got that one now!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm glad you found one you like! The Mionix reviews very well, so it's good to hear you're getting on with it. No doubt Ian will be wishing he got that one now!!

Oh, I dunno, if the TT MEKA G-UNIT had been fully illuminated I'd have bought one of those. Good mechanical keyboard and it's cheaper than the Mionix. If not having full illumination of keys is not an issue I'm sure Ian will be quite happy with the Thermaltake.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you like it :).

I've not had much of a chance to test the TT Meka G-Unit, but I've got mixed thoughts on it so far. It only came with a USB cable and yet had headphone/mic sockets on the keyboard - so that was a little confusing. Turns out it uses some sort of driver pass-through and means it can do everything via USB (clever!).

My main gripe is that the PC sometimes tells me I'm entering the wrong password on boot - even though I'm 99% sure I typed it correctly. I've not had this before, and the password problem doesn't happen in Windows - only in the BIOS/POST phase. If I type slower, it seems to work fine. Perhaps it works differently until the drivers kick in - or perhaps I'm just a butterfingers!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you can, try connecting via PS2 connector, I read in all the reviews of mechanical keyboards they work better via PS2 which seems odd but is apparently so. Something to do with how many quick keystrokes they can handle before ghosting though tbh I didn't really take that side of it in, I was looking mostly at other aspects. I'm connected via USB and also have the twin USB hub on the keyboard connected.

Which means I now a total of 8 USB ports available to me - two on top of computer case; two on keyboard and four on monitor. I rarely use more than 2, mostly for sd card and external HDD dock.

As for my Mionix, having no problems at all, felt odd at first but now I'm lovin' it :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Small update on the MEKA G1...

The keys are starting to slightly discolour already - I didn't think my fingers were THAT mucky!! The white paint on the WASD keys (plus a few others) are looking decidedly more grey than the other keys. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Small update on the MEKA G1...

The keys are starting to slightly discolour already - I didn't think my fingers were THAT mucky!! The white paint on the WASD keys (plus a few others) are looking decidedly more grey than the other keys. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.

Send it back Bex..You have payed all that money!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not had much of a chance to test the TT Meka G-Unit, but I've got mixed thoughts on it so far. It only came with a USB cable and yet had headphone/mic sockets on the keyboard - so that was a little confusing. Turns out it uses some sort of driver pass-through and means it can do everything via USB (clever!).

Just wanted to update this thread after all this time, as I've had to send the Meka G-Unit back under RMA (thankfully it came with a 2 year warranty). Some of the keys had given up - in my case the W & A keys. The whole keyboard would occasionally stop responding.

Scan have been good at sorting things out so far. Applier for an RMA on Monday and as of yesterday they'd confirmed the keyboard was faulty and a new one is on the way :).

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this thread after all this time, as I've had to send the Meka G-Unit back under RMA (thankfully it came with a 2 year warranty). Some of the keys had given up - in my case the W & A keys. The whole keyboard would occasionally stop responding.

Scan have been good at sorting things out so far. Applier for an RMA on Monday and as of yesterday they'd confirmed the keyboard was faulty and a new one is on the way :).
Lets hope you have better luck with the replacement Ian..

Did Becks send her one back because of the key problem or did she keep it, and if so has it got any worse?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers crazylegs :).

I'm not sure about Becky's keyboard - I think she's still got the same one from what I remember... although I'm sure she'll post when she sees this :user:.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Nope I've still got mine and it's working perfectly :) I think the discolouration was only the very bright white losing its brightness, it hasn't got any worse in all the time I've been using it. Bit of a pain about Ian's keyboard though - clearly I picked the best one :D

Ask a Question