"The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and then try again."

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2003.

    I have Windows XP Home installed on an AMD Athlon 2200+
    clone. I did not upgrade from previous version of
    Windows.

    I used this freeware app called WCPUID v3.1a. Next thing
    I know, WCPUID is opening up no matter what shorcut or
    application I click on. WCPUID was opening up instead of
    the intended app. I deleted the WCPUID folder (since
    there was not any Installer related installation at all)
    and then when ever I click on a application to open it,
    an error message comes up saying:

    -------
    path\*.exe
    The specified path does not exist.

    Check the path, and then try again.
    -------

    The "path\*.exe" is a variable for the application that
    I'm trying to open (i.e. - for Windows Explorer it would
    be "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe").

    I just booted up to the WinXP Home CD and did a repair
    installation and then downloaded all the critical updates
    and latest drivers from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The
    problem is still there.

    The only way I got IE to open was to right click on the
    recycle bin icon on my desktop and then select Open. I
    then clicked on the "up one level" button and then I
    could browse my desktop contents from there. The IE
    shortcut there works for some reason. If I browse to the
    IE .exe in Program Files and try to open IE using that,
    then I get the same error message.

    Please help!

    Guest, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Looks like WCPUID relaced all ur shorcuts in Program
    Files with sc's 2 itself. In my book, it qualifies as
    malware! Where did u get this SOB?

    So u have to correct all sc's in Program Files! My
    condolances. 4 alternatives(less to more work):
    1- Norton Sys Works will find invaled sc's & suggest
    fixes.
    2- Use macro controller to automate some/all of 3
    below.
    3- For each sc, find app, copy location
    (C:programFiles/X) & paste this in Target of invaled
    sc.
    4-Uninstall + reinstall all apps.

    HTH - Larry

    |-------
    |path\*.exe
    |The specified path does not exist.
    |
    |Check the path, and then try again.
    |-------

    |The "path\*.exe" is a variable for the application that
    |I'm trying to open (i.e. - for Windows Explorer it would
    |be "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe").
    |
    |I just booted up to the WinXP Home CD and did a repair
    |installation and then downloaded all the critical updates
    |and latest drivers from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The
    |problem is still there.
    |
    |The only way I got IE to open was to right click on the
    |recycle bin icon on my desktop and then select Open. I
    |then clicked on the "up one level" button and then I
    |could browse my desktop contents from there. The IE
    |shortcut there works for some reason. If I browse to the
    |IE .exe in Program Files and try to open IE using that,
    |then I get the same error message.
    |
    |Please help!

    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

    Larry(LJL269), Dec 23, 2003

  3. On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:49:20 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)"
    <> wrote:

    |In my book, it qualifies as
    |malware! Where did u get this SOB?

    May have been wrong here. Google has it all over the
    place, like
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22473,tk,hsx,00.asp
    Not much documentation tho. Does exe produce any? Some
    sites had user ratings - low ratings may have had ur
    problem.

    HTH - Larry

    Larry(LJL269), Dec 23, 2003

    Ron Sommer Guest

    Did you try a System Restore?
    I don't believe a repair install will replace the Registry.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    Ron Sommer, Dec 23, 2003