    Thank you & Regards
    Ian Bull
    www.laegamefishing.org.pg

    Ian Bull, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Ian,
    First, if the web contains items that rely on the FrontPage Server
    Extensions you can't FTP. The FP Server Extensions are installed as part of
    the web server enabled you to publish directly to the web server using http
    instead. Certain items require you to publish through http as the host web
    server needs to make any adjustments it may need for your pages so that they
    work with the extensions on the hosts' server. You don't typically publish
    parts of a web, only updates to it. Publishing a web basically moves the
    entire entity (or the updated parts) to the remote server.

    Hope tihs helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    "Ian Bull" <> wrote in message
    > I have created a Guest Book (Notice Board) for my website using the
    > FrontPage (XP) standard template & after transferring to website via FTP
    > attempts to post messages via the page invoked the error message.
    >
    > Checking on previous posts on this subject appear to suggest that the
    > solution is that the web page must be 'published' to the website rather

    than

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Ian Bull

    Ian Bull Guest

    Thanks Mark & please excuse my ignorance which obviously is compounding my
    difficulties exponentially ;-)

    Do I take it then, that I need to tidy up the 'dog's breakfast' that has
    grown on my computer in my web directory, delete the files already on the
    web server & then 'publish' to the server - which would be monumental as we
    only have relatively unreliable dial-up & there is 60MB to shift

    OR do I simply open my index & 'publish' to the web server - will that
    process simply pass over the identical content already there & transfer the
    new content? - to try & short circuit some of the questions I have just now
    tried to do just that, 'publishing to' - http://www.laegamefishing.org.pg. I
    get the response -
    Unable to open 'http://www.laegamefishing.org.pg' with list of suggested
    reason, the main one being 'The web server may not have FrontPage Server
    Extensions installed.
    My ISP assures me he does have FP Ext installed. ??

    Do I assume that once this hurdle is overcome that I will then be asked for
    the username & password to get access to the site?

    My next question - when I get the above problems sorted, I am apprehensive
    about what FP will in fact 'publish' - I have three 'webs' in sub-dirs under
    'My Webs' - does opening the index page of one of them tell FP that this is
    the specific web to be published. I have never discovered how to get FP to
    accept this as my 'default' web - it always opens noncommittally in 'My
    Webs'

    Enough for now!
    thanks once again & regards
    ian bull

    Ian Bull, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Ian Bull

    Guest Guest

    Re: The requested URL /_derived/nortbots.htm was not found on this

    In your remote site properties, publishing, you can elect to publish subwebs or not.

    Guest, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Ian Bull

    Guest Guest

    Re: The requested URL /_derived/nortbots.htm was not found on this

    To expand on that, you don't want to publish any of the discussion files that were created on your local because it will overwrite the file that was created/modified by FP on your server and the replaced files will go to cyber heaven. Edit the file directly online, and if you need to back it up, publish just that 1 file to your local system.

    Guest, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Ian Bull

    Ian Bull Guest

    Re: The requested URL /_derived/nortbots.htm was not found on this

    Thank you,

    I think I will need to read some 'how-to's' on 'publishing' before I proceed
    much further - up until now I had simply used FP for creating & editing
    basic pages! Therefore FP has never been 'told' that .....My
    Webs/xxxx/index.htm is the root of this website - and I don't know how to
    tell it - or whether I should at this advanced point!!

    One last query - do I understand correctly - having a site which has around
    60MB content so far that has simply been placed on the server via FTP - i.e.
    never 'published' and now would like a Guest Book requiring Extensions -
    instead of trying to publish the whole site from index.htm onward - can I
    establish the Guest Book as a sub web (i.e. mysite/GuestBook) & simply
    'publish' that?

    Regards
    Ian Bull

    Ian Bull, Jul 30, 2004
  7. Re: The requested URL /_derived/nortbots.htm was not found on this

    No
    The root web must have been published or created under the FP SE in order for a subweb to be created or published under it in FP
    - your host needs to support and apply the FP SE on the server in order for you to use them
    - if you have been using FTP, they are corrupt and need to be reapplied by your host

    If you are working on your local web as say ...My Webs/xxxx/, then xxxx is the rootweb

    For publishing information see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;198523

    Stefan B Rusynko, Jul 30, 2004