The registry cannot load the hive file :\SystemRoot\System32\config\SOFTWARE or

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by rama, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. rama

    rama Guest

    Hi,

    Stop:C0000218 (registry File Failure)
    the registry cannot load the hive
    (file):\SystemRoot\System32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or
    Alternative
    It is corrupt, absent or not writable
    beginnning dump of physical memory

    System Details:
    Hardware:pentium iv 1.7 GH
    Hard disk :80 Gb Single disk
    Software:
    Dual bootable system
    1)First Win98 was installed (c: drive)
    2)Second Win2000 server was installed (d:drive)

    Both of them are on different partition, win 2000 is on
    NTFS converted format.

    One day I booted through win 2000 server ,after seeing
    some documents I was trying to shut it down, I did click
    on start menu and then clicked on "Ok" button for shuting
    down . After clicking this ,all of a sudden there was
    power failure ,so before win 2000 could completly shut
    down the there was power break down.I dont have UPS
    (uninterrupted power supply)
    After that I tried to boot through the win2000 server
    but I couldn't, but when I tried to boot through win98 I
    was successfull. Since I was not able to boot through
    win2000 , so I shut down from win98 and restarted it in
    dos prompt and tried to restore registry and I was able to
    restore it, but when I restarted it to boot through
    win2000 it failed again.
    when I clicked "F8" for win2000 option I went through
    the safe mode option,safe mode with dos prompt but with no
    success,I did try with advance option in win2000 of "last
    known good configration" but I got struck up at one point
    ie,within that there is option to select hardware
    profile/configration, and "return to default configration"
    or quit. I am bit confused should I revert to default
    configration or not. I want to make sure before doing
    it,Since my system is dual bootable and I don't want to
    loose any information in my win2000 d:drive. If this is
    not the solution please let me know how I should boot with
    my win2000 server successfully.

    Thanks to all of You in advance,

    Rama

    rama, Dec 23, 2003