    the options I can find. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get rid of
    this file (aside from fdisk/formatting) I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks!

    Talon_BR, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Talon_BR

    davetest Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:29:04 -0700, "Talon_BR" <hotmail@talon_br.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm receiving the above error when trying to delete a file on a local hard
    >disk from a command prompt. I receive the error "Cannot delete file: Cannot
    >read from the source file or disk." when I try to delete the same file from
    >Windows XP. I cannot modify the file in any way, either (rename, mark as
    >read only, etc) VirusScan says it's clean (or can't read it and reports no
    >errors).
    >
    >The file is named "?" (open square) in windows and a solid diamond in the
    >dos/command prompt. No extension in either place. Scandisk and chkdsk both
    >report no errors, and no combination of switches helps. None of the
    >Microsoft KB articles I've read apply to a workstation or simple file
    >operations, they're all about server errors and whatnot. I've exhausted all
    >the options I can find. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get rid of
    >this file (aside from fdisk/formatting) I'd greatly appreciate it.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Will the system allow you to move or copy this file?
    create a dummy folder. Use the right mouse click and drag the
    bad file to the new folder (move operation).
    Then delete the folder.

    Dave

    davetest, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Talon_BR

    Talon_BR Guest

    > Will the system allow you to move or copy this file?
    > create a dummy folder. Use the right mouse click and drag the
    > bad file to the new folder (move operation).
    > Then delete the folder.
    >
    > Dave

    I can move folder the file s in. I cannot copy or move the file itself. I
    cannot delete the file/folder once I put it in the dummy folder. Good
    thought, thanks. Still no go, though.

    Dave - Talon

    Talon_BR, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Talon_BR

    davetest Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:32:37 -0700, "Talon_BR" <hotmail@talon_br.com>
    wrote:

    >> Will the system allow you to move or copy this file?
    >> create a dummy folder. Use the right mouse click and drag the
    >> bad file to the new folder (move operation).
    >> Then delete the folder.
    >>
    >> Dave

    >I can move folder the file s in. I cannot copy or move the file itself. I
    >cannot delete the file/folder once I put it in the dummy folder. Good
    >thought, thanks. Still no go, though.
    >
    >Dave - Talon

    download the 30 day trial of treesize professional.

    Navigate to the file and delete it from within that program.

    Dave

    davetest, Nov 16, 2003