"The disk is full" error when saving Excel docs.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by Rob Miles, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Rob Miles

    Rob Miles Guest

    This just started happening recently, seemingly out of the
    blue; one of my users is trying to save Excel documents
    that she creates to a network drive. Sometimes it saves
    just fine, but mostly (as of the last week or so) she just
    gets an error message saying "The disk is full" and when
    she clicks okay she gets another that says "The document
    was not saved."

    I've checked the Knowledge Base, and there is actually a
    number of articles (6 or 7) that discuss this problem.
    According to the articles, either the disk is full, or the
    connection to the network drive was lost and has to be
    reestablished. The share has over 100G free space and my
    testing (I'm getting the exact same error when I try to
    save to that share) shows that the drive connection is not
    getting lost during that time.

    Well, I thought the problem was limited to Excel, but it
    turns out I can't save to the drive through Word either.
    I can move or copy the file to that network drive, but I
    can't save to it directly. I can save to other network
    shares through Word or Excel also.

    Any ideas on what could be going on here? This is a new
    server (Windows 2000) that is replacing an old server
    (Windows NT) for the file sharing, but I've gone through
    and made sure that all the permissions on the folders
    match what they were before. Did I overlook something?

    Rob Miles
    --
    There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who
    understand binary and those who don't.

    Rob Miles, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Rob Miles

    BrianB Guest

    I have seen that this is a problem with some servers. The suggestion
    was to disable server File Cacheing - which can evidently give rise to
    other problems ...............

    Regards
    BrianB

    BrianB, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Rob Miles

    bjyuke Guest

    Rob,

    I have the same problem with Excel 2000 and Windows Server 2003. Did
    you ever find a solution for this?

    Thanks...

    ---

    bjyuke, Feb 2, 2004