Teacher Needs Help: Long Division Symbol in Word 2007

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Stumped Teacher, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. Does anyone know where the long division symbol is in Equation Editor for
    Word 2007? I've used it in Word 2000, but the new version has got me stumped.

    Stumped Teacher, Jun 12, 2008

  2. Stumped Teacher

    Stefan Blom Guest

    If you can't find the symbol in the new equation editor, note that you can
    still make use of the old equation editor in Word 2007: Just click the
    Insert tab | Object | Object, and choose Microsoft Equation 3.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    "Stumped Teacher" <Stumped > wrote in
    message news:...

    Stefan Blom, Jun 12, 2008

  3. Stumped Teacher

    dlewis Guest

    But is it there at all? No one here can find it. Is there a way to place a
    shortcut icon version 2003 and use it in 2007 rather than go through the
    process you described?
    It seems to be better for more advanced functions than for the basics.

    dlewis, Feb 19, 2009
  4. What exactly do you mean by "long division symbol"? There is certainly a
    division symbol (÷) on the Equation Tools Design tab.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Feb 19, 2009
  5. Stumped Teacher

    Mary Sauer Guest

    Maybe the old fashion long division with remainders.
    http://www.mathsisfun.com/long_division2.html

    --
    Mary Sauer
    http://msauer.mvps.org/

    Mary Sauer, Feb 19, 2009
  6. I suspected that might be the case. Your example can be created with pipe
    characters and overlines, but it's not quite the same as the "real thing"
    which looks more like a square root radical. The symbol in the old Equation
    Editor looks rather like a right parenthesis and an overline.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Feb 19, 2009
  7. Stumped Teacher

    MarvinM Guest

    Yes. It's in the "Fractions and Radicals" group, second row, second button.

    MarvinM, Apr 6, 2009
  8. Stumped Teacher

    Teacher Guest

    If I'm not mistaken, that's the square root symbol. I'm looking for the same
    long division symbol. Any more ideas?

    Teacher, Jul 9, 2009
  9. Stumped Teacher

    WhiteRat Guest

    In my 2007 Word, they (one with answer field, one without) are in the bottom
    row of the Fraction and radical templates group.

    WhiteRat, Jul 9, 2009
  10. Stumped Teacher

    Miss B Guest

    If you are using Microsoft Word 2007, click 'insert' then go to the 'shapes'
    tab.
    Go down to the 'lines' section and you will see a shape called 'elbow
    connector' If you click this to insert it you will notice that the green
    rotate handles will appear... Click on this and rotate the shape around until
    it faces the right way for a long division symbol.

    If you would like to type in the numbers for your students simply add text
    boxes next to the symbol and type your numbers :)

    Miss B, Feb 28, 2010
  11. Stumped Teacher

    Jeff Guest

    This thread has been dormant for a while. But I do not see a "Fractions and
    Radicals" group. My equation editor has a Fractions group, and it also has a
    "Radicals" group. Neither has a long division symbol and there is no single
    group like you describe. Has the long division been moved in more recent
    versions of the equation editor?

    Jeff, Mar 18, 2010
  12. I think the reference may have been to Microsoft Equation 3.0, the old
    Equation Editor rather than the new one that comes with Word 2007. That EE
    toolbar does have a "Fraction and radical templates" button.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 18, 2010