    don't seem to be able to get the client computer to print to the TCP/IP
    printer when connected to the terminal server via remote desktop.
    Any solutions? Thanks.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2005

    TP Guest

    Hi, did you follow the advice that Vera gave you? What did you find
    out?

    I think you need to add a registry value on the client. You can use
    the attached .reg file on the client to make the change. This change
    is per-user, so it must be done for any user that logs on to the
    workstation that will also use the Remote Desktop Client.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361

    Thanks.

    -TP

    TP, Jun 1, 2005

    Hi TP,

    I've already tried changing the registry as you suggested, and it did
    not seem to have any effect. I'll try it again in case I did something wrong.

    I also tried mapping the TCP/IP printer to LPT1 on the client computer
    (using the "net use lpt1 \\servername\printername /persistent:yes" command.
    After this mapping, when I print a test page from the client computer it
    works fine, but again nothing prints when the client is connected to the
    terminal server.

    Finally, I understood from Vera that using RDP 5.1 is fine and that
    downloading RDP 5.2 would not help me solve this problem. Her other
    suggestions involved changes on the Terminal Server itself, but this is
    offsite at another organization and I do not have any privileges on this
    machine other than being a client.

    Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Have you checked with the Administrator of the TS that printer
    redirection is enabled at all?
    When you start a connection to the terminal server and check your
    available printers, is it there at all?
    If printer redirection is enabled on the server, but your printer
    is not redirected, then the server has no driver for it. The normal
    solution would be to map the printer to a native driver, as I wrote
    in my first reply, but since you are just a user of the TS, you
    can't do that.

    Two options:
    1) contact the administrator of the Terminal Server, explain the
    problem and ask them to map your printer to a native driver.
    2) If the administrator doesn't want to do 1), ask him or her for
    the nearest compatible driver that *is* supported on the server.
    Let's say the Administrator suggests using a HP LaserJet 4.
    Then you can install the printer a second time on your workstation,
    using the recommend driver (pretend that it is a HP LJ4). Call this
    printer something like "TSprinter".
    Now when you connect to the TS, the printer should be redirected as
    a HP LaserJet 4 printer, which should give you at least basic
    printing.
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

    Vera Noest [MVP], Jun 1, 2005

    Vera,

    Thanks. I'll see what I can do contacting the TS Administrator. When
    I connect to the terminal server, the printer is not listed under printers.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2005

    Vera,

    I finally got it to work thanks to your suggestion. I mapped the TCP/IP
    printer to LPT1 and I used a driver for an HP 6L printer instead of the HP
    4050N driver. I'm not sure what functionality I'll lose if any using an
    incorrect driver, so I will speak to the TS administrator. Thanks again.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2005