tasklist asks for username and password

Hello
It worked before and something appears to have changed.

tasklist
or tasklist /svc gives error
ERROR: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

I understand that the command (by default) runs with the current logged on
user's account permissions.

What has changed ?
This particular account has admin rights and is password protected.

Thankyou all

Wesley Vogel

I'll bet that you have a trojan/virus/worm.

Do you get any errors using any of these?

CMD.EXE
NETSTAT.EXE
PING.EXE
REGEDIT.EXE
TASKKILL.EXE
TRACERT.EXE

If you do, update your antivirus and anti-spyware applications and run full
system scans.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

Yes. I agree with Wesley. You may try using any other command and check to
see if the issue persists. Additionally, I suggest you perform the
following methods.

Step 1: Creating a new account with administrative privilege and check to
see if the issue persists.
1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click "User Accounts".
3. Click the "Create a new account" link.
4. Follow the instructions to create a new account with Administrator
rights.
5. Log off the current user account and then log on the new account.

Step 2: Testing the issue in Safe Mode and check to see if the issue
persists.

-------------------------------
1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On
a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems,
you can press the F8 key when you see the Boot Menu.

2. In "Windows Advanced Option Menu", use the arrow keys to select Safe
Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.

3. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click
Microsoft Windows on the list that is displayed and then press ENTER.

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support