Taskkill.exe question / error

Hello XPe community. I am having a small issue using taskill.exe on my XPe
build. Perhaps somebody could shed some light.

I am simply trying to run a very simaple taskkill.exe command. I am getting
the following message returned:

ERROR: Provider load failure.

I have checked the dependencies for Server Command Line Tools (as this
component contains taskkill.exe) and this looks to be OK.

Any ideas?

KM

PjS,

You can easy find out what's missing (what provider is missing ) from your image if you launch the takskill at run time through
Dependency Walker (Profiling feature).

The taskkill utility, although pretty simple itself, requires lots of dependencies. If you find something is missing from the
"Server Command Line Tools", please feel free to report the bug to the Product Team.

Hi KM,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I ran Dependency Walker in Profile mode against taskkill.exe, and the log
shows that all the modules were successfully hooked. No error messages or
missing files when looking at the log of the profile mode dump. Actually,
(suprisingly!) no errors whatsoever in the log, when run in Profile mode....

KM,

Upon further investigation, you can run taskkill.exe or tasklist.exe
(another "server command line tool") with a /S switch to specify machine name
to act against. When I provide /S localhost, I am getting an error message
back, that is slightly different, but more usueful (perhaps):

ERROR: The Target System must be running Windows XP or above.

Running taskkill or tasklist.exe on a known good Windows XP Pro installation
with /S localhost provides good output (no errors).

Is this perhaps a compatibility issue within the Server Command Line Tools
component and XPe?

KM

PjS,

For testing purposes you can try to set the CSDVersion value under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows] to
whatever is set on XP Pro (512).

Also, have you tried looking at Filemon/Regmon logs captured while you ran the taskkill utility to see if anything pops up there?

KM,

Looked in the filemon regmon logs to no avail, but did some hunting and
pecking:

Turned out to be a component needed: WMI Win32 Provider (which makes sense
considering what these tools are trying to accomplish).

"Server Command Line Tools" does not call WMI Win32 Provider as a dependency
(directly/specifically), nor does it specify such in the Component Help.

On another note: (could be useful to others):

The WMI Win32 Provider component is also needed to suppress that annoying
netsh message specifying: "Cannot retreve host information for COMPUTERNAME,
some commands will not be available".

Anyhow....it is resolved...which is a good thing! Thanks for your prompt
replies, and suggestions. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

KM said:
[...]

Yes, the fix makes sense if we read the error message carefully :)

Thanks for the info! It is indeed a bug in the "Server Command Line Tools" component considering the fact that it brings in the WMI
Core and etc. anyway.
Btw.. Taskkill is totally WMI based tool. Also a quick look at the tool binary resources shows that it seems to use the
"Win32_OperatingSystem" and "Win32_ComputerSystem" WMI classes.

I never liked how WMI components required for some tools or sys.components to function on XP. Microsoft push on moving to WMI
everywhere makes sense on XP Pro but not on XPe since the WMI stack is heavy :-(
I think it would be better to make optional the use of WMI functionality in the code of such tools. Hope it will be fix in Longhorn.

:

[...]

It appeared that the bug is already known:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/msg/0325d794eab22066?hl=en&

But obviously - not fixed in SP2.

KM said:
[...]

These things happen! At least we know....knowledge is key!

KM said:
[...]

Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi, i see ur comment is "Anyhow....it is resolved"
Can you help me what need to be done to resolved this problem?
i still have the error the remote system must be running windows 2000 or above when i run the taskkill command?

thanks