Task Scheduler service hangs on startup.

Kevin D. Quitt

First I got this message in the event log:

The Task Scheduler service hung on starting.

I made sure it's trying to log in as local system, and set the recovery to
restart the service on the first failure. Now I get:

The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
Keyset does not exist

It just sits there at Starting. Help!

Win2K SP4, IE6sp1, all the hotfixes.

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Kevin,

This behavior occurs because the Protected Storage service is not started
or running on the Windows 2000-based computer.

We can refer to the article to solve the issue.

246183 Error Message 0x80090016 or 0x8009000f When Trying to Schedule a Task
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246183

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: Kevin D. Quitt <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| Subject: Task Scheduler service hangs on startup.
| Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:14:12 -0700
|
| First I got this message in the event log:
|
| The Task Scheduler service hung on starting.
|

| I made sure it's trying to log in as local system, and set the recovery to
| restart the service on the first failure. Now I get:
|
| The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
| Keyset does not exist
|
| It just sits there at Starting. Help!
|

| Win2K SP4, IE6sp1, all the hotfixes.
|
| --
| #include <standard.disclaimer>
| _
| Kevin D Quitt USA 91387-4454 96.37% of all statistics are made up
| Per the FCA, this address may not be added to any commercial mail list

Kevin D. Quitt

This behavior occurs because the Protected Storage service is not started
or running on the Windows 2000-based computer.

I stumbled onto the article and now everything's hunky-dory. One
question: why does the task scheduler not show its dependence on the
Protected Storage service?

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Kevin,

The Task Scheduler service may use the Cryptography which is needed for the
Protected Storage service.

The Protected Storage service should be enabled by default. For some
reason, the Protected Storage service is disabled, we may encounter the
issue.