Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Android users in the UK are already enjoying many great features of Android from Google Photos to Google Play, and in the next few months Android smartphones will become even more useful with the launch of Android Pay. We’re bringing together payment networks, banks and retailers to help you pay simply and securely.

Android Pay will support MasterCard and Visa credit and debit cards from many of the UK’s major financial institutions — including Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank, MBNA and Nationwide Building Society — with new banks being added all the time.

You will be able to use Android Pay everywhere contactless payments are accepted, including your favorite places at which to shop and eat every day, such as Boots, Costa Coffee, Waitrose, and more. You can also tap and pay as you go across London on the Tube, buses and trains, using Android Pay with Transport for London (TfL).

Android Pay will help you speed through checkout within your favorite apps including JD Sports, Deliveroo, YPlan, and more. Say goodbye to entering your payment or address details every time you want to shop.

More on the Android Blog: Click me

You can download the Android Pay app here: Play Store Download

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have just moved from Barclays to Santander in the last couple of weeks so can't wait for Santander to get involved.

Barclays won't be using it, they insist on wanting customers to use that silly bit of plastic stuck to the back of your phone or the Barclays app instead.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hurrah, this means I may be able to use my First Direct credit card as contactless finally!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Me too, I use contactless all the time so this would be even easier. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I feel so outdated when I'm paying for things in shops at the moment - everywhere you go they seem to ask you if you have contactless! It'll be nice to join in with the fun / spend all my money at Costa :dance:

Reaction score
I have contactless with my debit card and not tried it yet.
But android play seems to have worked in the US?
A good way forward in this hi tech era.

And the same as Becky, Costa here I come!!:nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Once you go contactless you never go back.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What's contactless?

Atm I have 3 bank accounts and 3 debit cards. That's it.

Do I need this electronic ignition? (contactless - geddit, geddit?)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What's contactless?
Its a quick and easy way to pay for stuff upto the value of £30.

https://www.visa.co.uk/products/visa-contactless/

faq10-2789.png

Not so sure about that with the amount of people I have seen tapping and tapping in TESCO and Sainsbury.
Really? They must be doing it wrong then, I can buy a round of drinks in seconds thanks to contactless! :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I tried this out briefly, but I've gone back to using my card! There were loads of T&Cs from my bank about not being responsible for account breaches etc... if this was enabled, so I disabled it again. Probably overkill, but the agreement seemed OTT for just a contactless app.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
There were loads of T&Cs from my bank about not being responsible for account breaches etc...

The approach is a tad different here. The banks develop apps for their own clients. Two examples:

https://www.op.fi/op/private-customers/pivo?id=11090&kielikoodi=en&srcpl=4
http://www.nordea.fi/en/personal-cu...net-mobile-and-phone-services/nordea-pay.html

That said, I fail to see... I'll rephrase: I see the point, fine, smartphones (or whatever they'll be called ten years from now) are to be the new Swiss Army knives. But as of today, I fail to see how this would make paying that much easier (or fancier — cough, cough) than with contactless debit/credit cards. And they've been around for quite some time now.

korttikuva_visa-premium-gold.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I tried this out briefly, but I've gone back to using my card! There were loads of T&Cs from my bank about not being responsible for account breaches etc... if this was enabled, so I disabled it again. Probably overkill, but the agreement seemed OTT for just a contactless app.
What bank?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
But as of today, I fail to see how this would make paying that much easier (or fancier — cough, cough) than with contactless debit/credit cards. And they've been around for quite some time now.

Yeah, I agree - although it seems as though this is just a first step. When we've got a smart watch or phone that authorises via biometric data and can also hold store cards, multiple accounts, etc... we'll end up not needed wallets at all. I think I may jump onboard further down the line :D.

What bank?

First Direct. They're a great bank overall IMO :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah First Direct are a great bank. I'm only with Santander for the interest rates, which they've just changed (effective as of November). FD may well be where I go next.

Ask a Question