System Restore not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP Accessibility' started by Angus, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Angus

    Angus Guest

    I have a problem with System Restore not working (Win XP Pro). Having trawled
    this discussion group I have tried some of the obvious recommendations
    without success:

    1. Have tried stopping and restarting SR - it appears to be running even
    though it will not work.
    2. No obvious problem messages in Event Viewer... SR seems to be running fine.
    3. Am running Kaspersky AV but have tried with AV switched off and with
    "Self Defence" switched off.
    4. Have deleted all Restore points.

    When I try to create a new restore point the message received is: "System
    Restore
    is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer, and then
    run System Restore again". However each time I restart the computer the same
    problem occurs.

    FYI, I had this problem with XP SP2 (in fact System Restore has been
    problematic for some time) and recently upgraded to SP3 hoping (naively!)
    this might resolve the problem. No such luck.

    My PC is an IBM Thinkpad T40... Win XP Pro pre-installed so don't have XP
    disks to do a full re-install of SR components.

    Thanks for your help!

    Angus, Nov 17, 2008

  2. Angus

    Andrew E. Guest

    Open system properties,turn off restore,go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
    CLEANMGR Type:Defrag C: Type:CHKDSK C: Agree to restart, Type:EXIT
    Restart pc.Back in xp,turn on restore,open system restore,set a point
    (date/time,
    etc)...If that should fail,open cmd,type:Sfc /Scannow Install & exit the
    menu
    page of xp cd,once its thru,in cmd rerun CHKDSK C:

    Andrew E., Nov 19, 2008